Silversword [Universal] ~ $3.99 => $0.99

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by KennyK, May 2, 2013.

1. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    I have no issue with Rovio. They keep updating their games with content without charging more and the games are good quality without some endless grinding.

I try not to think too much about my purchases being donations, though I do try to support games that I find interesting that I'd want more of on iOS.

I did buy QuestLord & The Bard's Tale, so I guess I'm set on games to try in the genre. QuestLord is an independent small dev's game that was easy to get behind since it had no IAP content to worry about missing out on. It is a complete packaged game. The Bard's Tale does offer IAP stuff but it's so chock full of content (4 games) I can't complain. Silversword had a big update, but isn't it all behind IAP? I'm not saying devs shouldn't get paid for their work but I just don't purchase stuff through IAP. I'd buy a separate sequel or whatever, but this is probably the red flag that'll just keep me from supporting this specific game. I guess it's the same kind of thing, support what you want more of on iOS... and for me I want more full complete packaged games and separate sequels over $4.99 addons.

But that's me, I'm not bothered with others spending their money how they want.

2. paradsecar

paradsecar Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    I, too, am a bit concerned about the IAP in the game. Typically I go for games like The Quest that have no IAP except for expansion packs. But for $0.99...too hard to resist so I took the plunge. Even if I only play it for an hour and never again, that's about the cheapest entertainment $/hr you can find! :)

The dev does state that IAP in not required to play the game and I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. Although I do think it's funny that the hard mode in the game (called Legendary mode) blocks out IAP. So, clearly it can be beat without the IAP, but might be pretty tough and/or grindy to get there. Still, how much did we grind in the 80's with Final Fantasy and Dragon Warrior? LOTS! And those fights were BORING (move around map, get into fight, press "A" over and over and over, win fight, move around map, rinse, repeat). What didn't kill us made us stronger, right? :D

3. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Grind? Pshaw. I got two words for you: Game Genie.

IAP is the new Game Genie...

4. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    $0.99 again

5. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    I like this game but hate the size and position of the movement pad. Its horrible

Yes, I know you can move it up/down.

6. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    It amazes me that there might be people who don't own Silversword with the dedicated attention the developer have put into it and occasional dirt cheap prices (like now). If you suspect you might like first person prospective party turn based role playing games it's well worth the buck.

7. Gilgilad

Gilgilad Well-Known Member

May 15, 2013
    One of my favorite games on iOS, if you played Wizardry, Might & Magic, or The Bard's Tale in the 80s then this game is their successor so is a must download. If you are unfamiliar with any of those games, but like games like Avernum 6 or Baldur's Gate than you should at least check it out for a buck. There is an expansion behind an iap as stated in posts above but there is seriously 80 hours of gameplay before even needing to reach the expansion so I wouldn't let that stop you from trying the game.

8. Morgan01

Morgan01 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2013
    USA
    Played this when it was first released and essentially a Beta game. It started rough but the developer has spent allot of time and effort updating and continually improving the game. IAP is not required to play. Worthwhile.

9. tblrsa

tblrsa Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Vienna
    Picked it up. Now he has even added a German Translation, very nice. It´s a bit tiny on the iPhone though, I expect it playing better on the iPad.

10. Gunlock

Gunlock Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2010
    $0.99 again.

11. If you feel that the game is too expensive, and you feel that it does not meet your expectations - and hate me for using IAP... then please, send me your save game via the ingame mail function and I will add some gold + resurrection potions to your party.

If you don't want to wait for the next price dump, ask me for a promo code and spread some nice words ;-)

Kind regards
    Mario

12. Morgan01

Morgan01 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2013
    USA
    At $0.99 or even $3.99, this game is worth it. I first played it when it was in Beta and a Lite version. The developer has spent considerable time updating and improving the game sicne then. There are constant updates to polish the game even more and the developer has been very responsive. Although there is IAP available for this title, it is unnecessary and by no means pushed on the player during gameplay. Save often, if you find it getting a little difficult, level a little and update your gear. There is no hand holding here and that's a welcomed change.

If your a fan of the old school The Bard's Tale or The Quest, you should find this game enjoyable.

13. soundshaper

soundshaper Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2013
    I missed out on the sale :(

Is there gonna be another one soon?

14. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Not only is the sale over but it was $3.99, now it's $4.99.

15. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
    Don't feel bad, I missed out too. lol

16. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    There have been a number of updates since the initial $3.99 price so in my opinion a small increase for new comers is justified; previous purchasers got a content upgrade for free.

17. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Original launch price was $4.99. So it's not technically a price hike, it's just been $3.99 for quite a few months now. The new content "Rise of Dragons" expansion is a separate IAP cost. So it's not like the price needs hiked to cover it. The main reason I passed this up even on sale was the download size and wondering if I'd actually be able to dedicate myself to playing it all the way through. Still one day I'll cave in I'd for no other reason than how big bards tale is to install with all the classics bundled in.

18. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Cave in sooner, not later, or more developers might Mother Lode and disappear...

19. mrbiggles

mrbiggles Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Like retired
    USA
    $1 sale

bump...