iPhone Sin or Win - (by Toxic Blob)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Even after the positive impressions I still feel none the wiser about what one actually does in this game beyond what I'm able to make out from the video: tapping.

I understand these things aren't always easy to explain; not finding fault with anybody; just saying I have not received sufficient incentive to pick this up amid the ceaseless spending spree of the last week or two. Wish listed for now though.

2. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

Agreed. I am not really sure how this plays, unless what I see in the video is all that there is.

3. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    You alone decide the fate of suicidal cavemen!

The main gimmick of Sin or Win could be seen as the fact that all actions and scoring in the game is positive (saving cavemen) or negative (killing the cavemen) so you need to decide right when you start if you want to get a negative or positive highscore and tailor your actions accordingly.

The secondary gimmick might be seen in how you increase the value of your cavemen by juggling them in the air. The longer they stay airborn the higher the value of their soul once you save it (by dragging or lightly flinging it onto a cloud) or kill it (flinging it into the pit or letting one of the wandering fiends do them in). The fun of this juggling mechanic is that by continuously juggling a caveman (kind of like Slam Dunk) you increase the risk of him falling through your fingers into the pit (not appreciated if playing Good Cop as now his value will count against you) or, if playing Bad Cop, getting caught (saved) in a cloud with all of that "nice" positve boost hosing your negative score! :confused:

Lastly, I love how the two types of scoring are hadled a bit differently. While nicely placing a caveman in a cloud will instantly score you points, the caveman is still hanging out in the cloud until it is completely filled and moves off screen. If you aren't careful already "saved" cavemen can fall back out of a cloud! On the other hand, once dead you're dead in this game (unless I missed something, I'm pretty sure ashes can't be brought back to life in the game).

Notice how I didn't say anything about the many bonus items, fiends, and other wacky environmental interactive bits that will help or hinder your quest. :p

4. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    About the new update: I am one of those guys who snickers when folks complain about game icons, but I sure miss the old icon.

5. unseenthings

unseenthings Member

Mar 9, 2010
    iOS Programmer
    Memphis, TN
    I think I preferred the old icon as well. It really set the game apart from everything else in the app store -- the new one blends in way too much, I think.

LordGek did a fine summary of the game, IMHO - but it's just really well executed and dripping with polish. It's a simple concept but really well done and looks great.

6. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I have to ask the pros here, and you can PM me if announcing it publicly might be too big a give away of the game's mystery. Can one kill a caveman without leaving behind ashes for the pit?

7. ToxicBlob

ToxicBlob Member

Aug 3, 2011
    I changed the icon after polling a number of people and finding a high percentage were avoiding the app because to them the icon suggested a serious & adult themed game. Silly, I know, but… So, having a large segment of my target audience not even try the game because of the icon suggested to me a need to redesign.

Perhaps once more people understand that Sin or Win is not just for adults and the hard core gamer, I’ll be able to revert to the reaper icon - which was the icon throughout development and which I have a certain fondness for.

8. slewis7

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    ToxicBlob: thanks for the surprising explanation. Hopefully the new icon will boost sales for this excellent game of yours and eventually the original icon can be restored.

9. darthpotato

darthpotato Member

Dec 30, 2011
    Can anybody share some strategies on how to maximize scores when sinning? Is there any other way to lower the pit besides that most common element? It takes quite a while to show up.

10. ToxicBlob

ToxicBlob Member

Aug 3, 2011
    A little delayed, sorry.

You’re right, the most common pit lowering element does take a little while to show up. Once it does, be sure to keep it around.

In episode 30 of the TA podcast Brad suggested that the pit could naturally decrease in height over time. It’s a really good idea, so I’ll also be adding that to the next update.

Any other thoughts, comments, critiques, suggestions for the next update?

11. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Are there any ways to kill without adding ashes to the pit? Should there be rare exceptions if not already in the game?

12. ToxicBlob

ToxicBlob Member

Aug 3, 2011
    At the moment, no. I like the idea though. Lemme think about how it could work.

A recently proposed idea in a similar vein is that whenever a caveman falls into the pit it wouldn’t instantly be toast & the pit wouldn’t instantly increase in height. Touching & holding a finger on the fallen caveman, for a moment, would pop the caveman out to reenter play. One could then continue play with those certain critical cavemen. I’m thinking this could also work for fiend debris (ie: when torched by a storm cloud, etc…). Doing this to debris would have the added bonus of resurrecting the debris back into a playable caveman. Thoughts?

13. TomekSzymek

TomekSzymek Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Is there any chance that this game will appear on European AppStore?

14. ToxicBlob

ToxicBlob Member

Aug 3, 2011
    Hi TomekSzymek,
    Definitely! Sin or Win is currently available in European App Stores.

Visiting http://itunes.com/apps/sinorwin will load iTunes and take you to the page. Please do let me know if something isn’t working - if for some reason it’s not available in your country.

15. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Maybe but it sound like this would make being good even easier and do nothing to help being naughty.

16. TomekSzymek

TomekSzymek Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Why can't i find it in the European Appstore? Can anybody send me the link with this game in European Appstore?

17. ToxicBlob

ToxicBlob Member

Aug 3, 2011
    TomekSzymek Which specific European country are you in? In the attached link, replace the Polish "pl", for whichever is the two character country code for your country. ie: "uk", "es", "fr", "de", etc...
    http://itunes.apple.com/pl/app/sin-or-win/id439663091?mt=8

LordGek Hmm... I see it helping both. It'd help naughty as you could pull out cavemen that weren't contributing to your score before they needlessly filled the pit - then dump them back in when they were worth more. Perhaps the idea needs some further tweaking. It's something we can definitely play with to see if it works before releasing it. Would you like to be on the beta?

18. slewis7

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    On sale now for 99 cents. No excuse now not to pick up this gem, folks!

19. Habakuk

Habakuk Well-Known Member

Now FREE for the first time!