Sketch Nation - Create Your Own Shooter

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Nitzan, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Jarek

Jarek Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    FISHLABS Moderator
    Końskie, Poland
    Yes, this is exactly what I wanted to say. Thanks for good news.

(Is my previous post really so hard to read? Did I make so many mistakes inthere? ;))

2. Vingdoloras

Vingdoloras Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2009
    Looking forward to this...

What about a Sketch Nation TowerDefense App? Would be a bit more complicated, but would be awesome, too!

3. Nitzan

Nitzan Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Here is a drawing imported from Sketchbook:
    (pardon the crappy drawing, I am on holiday vacation and did not have any time to draw something nicer.)

[​IMG]

4. Nitzan

Nitzan Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Our plan is to expand this in the future to all the genres, including Tower Defense. :)

5. Nascor

Nascor Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2009
    How will you expand it? Over new games, dlc's or updates?

6. Jarek

Jarek Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    FISHLABS Moderator
    Końskie, Poland
    Screenshot from Sketchbook looks great.
    I am definately going to buy this game, at least to check out innovation system of own units and drawing style :)

Would you like to share some details? For example concept price, relase date, size and if there will be LITE version.

7. Nascor

Nascor Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2009
    It will be released at the beginning of february

8. Vingdoloras

Aug 29, 2009
    I would really appreciate DLC, because that would save a lot of slots on my Phone :D and that would also force me to use the actual App more often (because when there are multiple games in one App, I have multiple reasons to touch it :D)... when there are 2 Apps, "SketchNation Tower Defense" and "SketchNation Shooter", and I like Tower Defense more, then Shooter might be deleted from my device because I don't use it often enough (my device is full :p my rule, if I don't play a game often enough, it's getting old, so I delete it)... Having one app "SketchNation" with multiple modes each available via DLC, I wouldn't delete it because I like this kind of TowerDefense game etc... so the Shooter part of SketchNation won't be deleted, too, so I might have more time with the Shooter part and maybe contribute some more creations :D

You get my point?

Also, an idea for a lite version...
    Wait a while after releasing the full version. Then, pick the 5 or 10 best user creations and put them into a lite version... Would be a win win situation, the lite version already somehow contains 5 or 10 "full" shooter games, but the user is still attracted to buy the full version because of the creation aspect...

9. Vingdoloras

Aug 29, 2009
    In one of the video I noticed that you can view the collision map of the levels... could you make it possible to also view the collision boundaries of the ships/etc, so of everything you import? I can't see this in the screenshot.

10. sk8erdude50

sk8erdude50 Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    can u give us a guesstimate on how much the price will be?

11. Nitzan

Nitzan Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Lots of questions, let me see if I can answer them all -

Lite Version / Price - Nothing has been decided yet.

DLC - Definitely. Currently we are thinking this will include packages of 4 to 5 "professionally" made shooters created using the Sketch Nation engine. By professional I mean they will be created by a professional game-designer and artist.

Showing player collision (like the level) - Definitely an option. We will probably include this feature.

Future Sketch Nation games - Most likely these will be apps within themselves. The reason being that each game will include quite a bit of assets that are genre dependent. For example animations (explosions, powerups, etc...), sound effects and background music. Does not make sense for a Tower Defense app to carry the assets of a Shooter, Racing or Platforming game.

Sketchbook - I thought about this a little bit more, and while it works great for the player, enemies and boss drawings, it will probably not work as well for level drawings. Level sections are created at a much higher resolution than what Sketchbook exports at. It will still work, but the level-section will be scaled up and probably won't look that pretty.

12. Jarek

Jarek Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    FISHLABS Moderator
    Końskie, Poland
    Maybe You should do it this way:
    In SketchBook players could draw separate images for each of the desired level's elements (a.e. asteroids and platforms). Sketch Nation level editor could interpretate them as level elements and load them to the current project.
    With our already made elements players could compose imagined level by copying, pasting,scaling and moving scaned elements.
    It could be solution, maybe a little bit complicated.

13. Nitzan

Nitzan Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Obviously there are ways to make this work, but we want to make this as simple as possible and nothing beats the simplicity and accuracy of drawing an entire level on a piece of paper and taking a photo of it with your iPhone. Ideally you would be able to draw the entire game on one piece of paper and it would magically work... maybe in the future. The only complication here is the iPod Touch, which will hopefully be getting a camera soon.

14. Jarek

Jarek Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    FISHLABS Moderator
    Końskie, Poland
    Yes, but what with users of iPod Touch 1G, 2G and 3G?
    There are rumour about 5Mpx camera in 4G version, but please remember, that if You won't decide to implement level creator feature in iPods of elder generations, You will loose a big branch of potential customers...

15. MexicanJesus

MexicanJesus Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Jesus, you're essentially asking him to create a whole other app. I don't see itouch users complaining because the camera apps don't work for them. The idea of the game is to toe pictures of what you want. That is what the dev said it would do, let it do that. All this extra stuff would be updates if the original plan turned profits. Itouch users can either use a scanner/digital camera and emaail to make thier game. I think the potential of downloading endless unique games from other users is plenty reason to buy the game.

16. Jarek

Jarek Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    FISHLABS Moderator
    Końskie, Poland
    Of course, I understand it.
    And I just shared my opinion in the previous post, but of course I can be wrong.

17. Asphyxiation

Asphyxiation Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Why so long?

18. Nitzan

Nitzan Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Right now we are doing lots of testing and bug fixing, trying to write a tutorial that helps new players seamlessly use the game without needing any help, and we are working on the server so users will be able to share games.

19. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    I can definitely wait for February, especially if it means the bugs will be worked out.

Still can't wait for this one :)

20. jlegend

jlegend Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2009
    so then after the previous conversations im guessin that you wont be able to play this game on ipod touch? if so then that sucks, more and more games are coming out just for iphone! this is slowly getting annoying, is there any way in the future of changing this for the ipod touch??