Sky Gnomes [racing] - Asynchronous Multiplayer, Leagues, Daily Tournaments

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Jdragoon19, Jan 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Foursaken_Media

Foursaken_Media Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

2. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    I updated the OP with the new trailer and a description of the game!

3. tsarep

tsarep Active Member

Dec 6, 2009
    Not sure if this is already true but to keep consistency and fairness between cups the weather should stay the same and only change after every tournament. Just my thoughts on the subject.

4. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

Thats an interesting point, but I think the variety is a good thing. I think the biggest problem right now is that sun is just so imbalanced :p In the end, it should be fair just by the nature of all the weather ailments being equally balanced. Sun has already been toned down and is much easier to dodge for example.

5. iJay

iJay Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    There is a weather forecast you can check before each race. You can then equip trinkets appropriately.

@Foursaken
    My vote would be a daily cup with 10 - 20 people per group, with the top 3 winning.

6. saiyukialex

saiyukialex Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Shanghai, China
    The game is very interesting!

7. jbsib

jbsib Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2011
    Nice trailer and I'm loving the game, I really like the way when you equip a trinklet your snow machine thing actually looks different. Is there any chance you could add paint jobs and more cosmetic things?

8. Wilbair

Wilbair Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2009
    I tested the game now for three days and i wanted to ask something about the other testers. Because i noticed a few things and aim just curious how you guys think about it?

- The wheater effects are to much!! (I know the developpers are tuning this down) The first 2 days i only was anoyed by the sunlight. But yesterday i stopped a few times just becuase of the clouds. They cant be avoided sometimes there just to big or popup to fast. When that happens you feel that you have no control because you CANT avoid them then. Thats like racing in a car on a racetrack that has a wall in the middle where you crash againts with no option to avoid it. So that is really anoying and makes the game less fun. Especialy on the large levels where this can happen after a few minutes that you fell the where a lost of youre time and you start over again.
    My recommendation: The idea of the wheater effects are good, but now the games is to much about avoiding these effects instead of racing and pickup the snow flakes. So the clouds can stay but make them smaller so they could be avoided!!

What do the other tester think about this? Especially on the part that sometimes you really cant avoid a cloud?

- One other thing i notice is the lack of information about all the upgrades. Its like the bug heroes upgrades that had with no real indication about there strenght or what they do. I mean the most question in bugheroes (there previous game) where about how much damage did this upgrade and what was the effect of that upgrade. So i think the developpers have to be more precise/clear here. instead of "gives a small boost to snowflakes". People will be very competitive and thats why they want to know exactly what each upgrades does and how much effect it has.
    Aim not saying that the developers have to provide formulas etc. But give a better indication of all the upgrades.

That said, these are my opinions and maybee other tester have a totally other idea about it and am i the only one with these comments:)

For the record i love these developers. And i think this is a great game so i want a discusion to make this game better!!

9. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

#109 Foursaken_Media, Mar 7, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
    Don't worry, there are already several changes to help alleviate your problems. For one, your minimum speed has been GREATLY increased... what this means is that hitting weather is much less of a penalty. Also, the weather is definitely not impossible to dodge, unless perhaps you have a combination of 3 trinkets that all hinder your steering speed (which we put in there to avoid overpowered trinket combinations)... the weather does get harder in the later cups, but of course that is by design. The first 2 cups are more wide open for those who enjoy those types of racing. The last 2 are filled with more obstacles, and may require weather specific trinkets to help you with your time. But the boards become a little more interesting and variable as well.

But I'm curious to hear what other testers think?

Second, in regard to the upgrades, we've actually swapped out the snow meter with a speedometer :) This way you can see EXACTLY what kind of extra speed you're getting from your upgrades. We've also marked your top cruising speed on there for quick reference, which of course changes based on upgrading. Other than that, besides from giving hard numbers (which I think can scare off more casual gamers), I'm not sure what else we could do here. Suggestions?

10. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

This is something we have some big plans for in the future ;)

11. tsarep

tsarep Active Member

Dec 6, 2009
    It sounds like you guys are making all the right tweaks. I enjoy the variety and once you have the appropriate trinkets you can just look at the weather forecast and adjust accordingly. Also, I haven't had any trouble seeing what a trinket does. Maybe for upgrades to a trinket you could say makes this trinket x percent better/more effective. As for the comment about unavoidable clouds, I've had very difficult to avoid clouds before but never impossible. Just my two cents.

12. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Sorry if this has been addressed, but I noticed sometimes the forecast is way off. It said "very light sunshine" before one race, and that entire race was PACKED with sunshine...

13. Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder New Member

Mar 8, 2012
    Wilbair! I remember you shooting right past me in a game ^^

It does get crazy sometimes but I kind of enjoy it. When not in a competitive mood, I like dodging left and right through a big storm. However, I think that when there are lots of ice chunks along with the clouds, it gets annoying. You really need some luck at fast speeds to dodge big clouds, avoid ice, and get snow/coins/power-up. Maybe if I am allowed a special trinket slot during super storms (eg smash ice but grants no other bonus) it would be better. But if the weather is being toned down, that should not be necessary. Personally I think only the rays need to be toned down, I really like racing through a big bad thunderstorm when not competing for top spots.

Thanks Foursaken for this great game, really enjoy vertical racers!

14. Livven

Livven Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2011
    Germany
    Just a heads up on the trailer, white text on white background isn't that optimal, especially since the outline is way too subtle.

15. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

Yep, that'll be addressed!

You know there is an ice drill trinket, right?

I know -- especially when watching it on an iDevice :mad: Sigh, oh well. At least the gameplay speaks mostly for itself.

16. Livven

Livven Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2011
    Germany
    That's true, thought I'd just point it out :)

17. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    This game is amazing, just wanted to say that.

Also, I think I'm in the minority but I believe tournaments SHOULD be weekly. I can see myself getting burnt out if they are daily... Or have both at least?

Anyway, keep it up!

18. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

Cool, thanks! Speaking of tournament lengths....

We're going to try to release one more beta build this week. This one will have a really short test period, where we really just want people to play a few tournaments, test out the changes, and that's that. There's a lot of balance tweaks to look forward to, as well a lot of the tournament elements that weren't in the game before (trophies, etc).

So keep your eyes on your email in the next few days for a new build, and as always, please keep specific beta issues in email ([email protected]). Thanks everyone!

19. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

Hey everyone... as we get closer to release, everyone knows how important the icon is :) We'd love to get some early feedback on Sky Gnomes' icon!

[​IMG]

20. Livven

Livven Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2011
    Germany
    I think the current icon looks better. Gives a better idea of what the game is about. This one is a bit boring tbh :)