Universal Skylanders Battlegrounds - (by Activision) - Universal App

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Nov 20, 2012.

1. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    #41 C.Hannum, Nov 21, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
    Alright, since it is that time of the year that parents lose their minds, can anyone familiar with this franchise AND as familiar as is possible with this game that's been out less than 24 hours answer me some basic questions:

1. Does this game actually run well on a 4th gen iPod touch (my son's device)? It's listed as a supported device, but having been the prior owner of this 4G touch, I know how that goes.

2. Are the figures being shipped with the "mobile starter pack" series 1, 2, or something mobile specific (i.e. if it's a hit with the kids and I decide to get the Wii portal, would any figures I might get for this game work with the "giants" Wii portal?)

3. Assuming it's the more recent series 2 figures supported, does the mobile portal also support series 1 figures?

4. If you share a figure, does it maintain the unlocks across different games, or is each game maintaining its own progress for figures?

5. Is there a gem refund system in this one like the "Lost Islands" game for a character you use gems to unlock and later get the figure for?

EDIT: Oh yeah, 6. How does sharing the portal across different games work?

2. MicroByte

MicroByte Well-Known Member

I didn't see this in the item description and apologize if this was answered, but do Giants work in this game as well?

3. jasenj1

jasenj1 Member

Nov 21, 2012
    #43 jasenj1, Nov 21, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
    I bought the game, but not the portal. Here's my best answers to your questions.

I've played the first few levels with a 4th gen Touch and so far the game plays well.

UPDATE: In some of the recent levels I've played, frame rate drops to 1-2 fps during battles with several opponents on screen and several animations going at once.

I believe the Double Trouble and chest are mobile starter pack specific. Jet-Vac is a new Giants character. And I'm pretty sure Cynder is series 2.

I don't see why not. I entered the codes for a bunch of series 1 figures and the game took them.

I'm fairly certain each game is separate. I haven't seen any indication that this portal writes info back to the toys. But I haven't read that it doesn't.

Yes. The game has you spend gems to unlock Terra Fin during the tutorial. When I entered his code it refunded me the gems.

- Jasen.

4. jasenj1

jasenj1 Member

Nov 21, 2012
    #44 jasenj1, Nov 21, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
    Yes. I'm using Crusher.

Exactly. I loved Battleheart. The combat in this plays almost exactly the same.

No. I entered about a dozen this morning with no problem. It seems to hit a server somewhere when you enter a code. Maybe they weren't up yet?

Yes. As you play the game you earn gems and gold. Gems can be used to unlock characters.

5. MicroByte

Great, thanks so much for all of the answers! I think I'll run out and get a new Giant and try the game out.

6. C.Hannum

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    Thanks, so it sounds like the mobile portal is probably backward compatible with both series 1 & 2 figures and the game has the gem refund feature so this is looking more like a solid Christmas option.

I guess the big unknown still is will a single figure unlock the character for more than one copy of the mobile game? That's really the big obstacle for me. If I can spread the toys across both kids the cost seems reasonable. If I'm stuck needing to buy duplicates then no way.

7. MicroByte

Good point, I'm in the same boat. I've got 2 boys and myself and would hate to have to shut them out... :p

I'm still getting the game tonight so once they see I have it, I'm sure they'll be itching to get it on their devices as well. If no one answers by then, i'll come back with a response.

8. jasenj1

jasenj1 Member

Nov 21, 2012
    My thoughts.

IMHO, this starter pack is slightly over priced. The characters are ~$10 retail - but you get two of them with the Giants portal pack (which is currently widely available cheaper than the portal owner's pack), so if you already have that, then two of the figures are dupes. The Double Trouble character is unique to this pack, so for collectors it may be worth it. And I'll put <$5 value on the chest. I'd give you $10 for the portal thingy. And the game is $7 from iTunes.

So at best you're getting ~$50 worth of stuff if you own no Skylanders. But if you've already been sucked in, then you're likely getting ~$15-20 worth of stuff you don't already have (the portal & the game, I'll consider the duplicate figures worthless).

But who would spend $50 on this for an iOS device if they haven't already been hooked? And if you have been hooked you likely already have two of the characters making the value of this go down. At half price I'd pick one up. And I think we'll see it there.

So far the game itself is pretty fun. If you've played Battlehearts, the combat portion of this game plays the same. As an adult, I haven't found the combat too challenging - I did have to pump some healing potions into one character, but since then I've had no problems.

I really like that Activision is releasing more games that work with the Skylanders figures. $10 for a little figurine is kinda expensive. But there are now two console games, a free online computer game, and three mobile games (two free) you can use them in. That really helps me feel I'm getting good play value for my money.

- Jasen.

9. jasenj1

jasenj1 Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Hmm... I'm going to guess a toy can only be unlocked in one copy of the game. But you can buy all the characters purely with gems earned in game - no physical toy needed. So you could easily spread your existing toys amongst your family and then everyone would just need to buy more in game.

- Jasen.

10. Defard

Defard Well-Known Member

May 25, 2011
    UK
    Er...no

A Pessimist would moan about 25% XP.

A realist would say it could be either depending on the ability of the player it was developed for.

11. MicroByte

You sold me on this game right there, that's great. I would rather play and earn new characters than have to go to Target and pick one up off the shelf. The characters are cool and all, but the few we've bought sit in our TV console on a shelf behind the Wii and aren't really looked at or used until they have an itch to play the game.

12. C.Hannum

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    That's what I'm worried about. Two kids = sibling infighting, $8-$15 figure = financial silliness unless we can work it more like on the console versions where the figure is unique but can be controlled by any player. I've held back from getting into this money black hole but the potential synchronicity between their touches and the Wii makes it an intriguing Christmas possibility, but if it's a unique unlock for the iOS games that's enough to make me avoid the figures (particularly if there's no online backup of your game, I'd crap a brick if the 5 y.o. deleted the game and then upon a fresh install got told that figure had already been used, please go buy another).

13. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    So far I’ve used the same code 5 times in different situations:

- iPad with my old Apple ID
    - iPad with my newest Apple ID and a new game installation
    - my son’s iPad
    - my iPhone
    - on the web game

And within the situations above the same code was used like four times in different games and devices.

For us the toy’s codes seem to be very flexible and a good reason for us (my kids too) to enjoy the game.

14. vibliribland

vibliribland Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2011
    So I can buy the Xbox 360 game and characters and then use them on both my iPad and my Xbox?

15. Carlos-Sz

Nov 5, 2008
    Yes, you can.

The character works in all devices. If you don't have a portal for the iPad you can use the code that comes with each character.

16. jasenj1

jasenj1 Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Yes. The little figures/toys work cross-platform. For the console (XBox 360, PS3, Wii) games (Spyro's Adventure, Giants) the figures store level-up and other information. So you can take a character you've leveled-up on the Wii to a friend's house who has the 360 version and jump right in with all your power-ups, etc.

The web and iOS games are different. They do not write any info to the toy, all progress is kept in the game.

17. Carlos-Sz

Nov 5, 2008

Yes. I was about to add this information.

I’ve just installed Giants (xbox) and placed an old character (that I was playing on a ps3) and he was leveled up and with the last hat it was using. That’s a very interesting feature. Those characters are more than a simple toy, they record data.

18. C.Hannum

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    Alright, sounds like the more fiscally sound option is to buy the Wii portal and game(s) and just use codes for the iOS stuff if they can be used multiple times.

I smell a Christmas coup for dad coming on :)

19. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

I am glad I saved all of the codes from our figures, must have over 50. I would still be interested in the iOS portal at some point though.

20. Mr. Grizzly

Mr. Grizzly Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    Jasenj1, actually, there are two more games you can use your characters in: the 3DS games (they are completely separate from the ps3, etc. games).