Universal Slayin - (by FDG Entertainment)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Apr 3, 2013.

1. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Hmmm I'm not sure on this, from the screenshots in the upcoming forum I was all up for getting it, but the pretty much zero player animation is putting me off, I'm not convinced with the left/right and jump with no attack gameplay.
    Still might pick it up anyway as its only 69p but I'll check for people's opinions.

2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I honestly thought it was a side scroller with different levels/worlds which would have been brilliant. As you say its 69p so i might bite anyway but i cant see myself coming back to this tons. Just wish it was a long side scroller Wonderboy-ish type game.

3. strivemind

strivemind Well-Known Member

Same here. But there does seem to be a good variety of enemies and frantic gameplay to keep it interesting. There are certainly plenty of excellent 1-screen score-driven platformers out there to prove that the formula could work.

Yep, that's the one! Thanks for reminding me.

4. Future777

Future777 FDG Entertainment<br />Co-Founder
    Patreon Studio

Hi Gang!

Giving away 5 copies which you can download *RIGHT NOW* :)

HM7F69YAMR9Y
    9YFK9Y6XNNNF
    PPLEW4RLMAMH
    RXERJ944MMFA
    X4MRFKN4P6TK

TOFTT - I'm sure you'll enjoy it despite being 1-screen action ;)

cheers
    Future

5. Biggavelli

Biggavelli Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2011
    Boston,MA
    RXERJ944MMFA Redeemed Thanks

6. sink_or_swim

sink_or_swim Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Germany
    PPLEW4RLMAMH thank you :)

7. Back2funk

Back2funk Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2010
    England
    Wow, they went quick :)
    Awaiting some impressions from you lucky guys with the codes. Keeping my fingers crossed it will be as good as I'd hopped it would be.

8. gabikun

gabikun Active Member

Jan 22, 2012
    Took HM7F69YAMR9Y. Thank you!

9. smes3817

smes3817 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Massachusetts, USA
    Blargh*, missed 'em... :(

*any excuse to use a Calvin and Hobbes reference

10. aconfusedkender

aconfusedkender Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Oil & Gas
    Kendermore, Ansalon
    Is it out yet in the us app store? I cant seem to find it :(

11. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    It should be out at 10pm Texas time tonight.

Usually releases launch on a rolling schedule starting in New Zealand (it's well into "tomorrow" there) slowly circling the globe with the "midnight" Thursday time; the US is tied to Apple's home timezone (in California, I think)...

12. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    So the people who downloaded the codes which are used to give game impressions, whats it like then ??

13. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #33 undeadcow, Apr 3, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
    Slayin is a port of a ~2010 era Flash game that should still be available to try online.

Workplace web filters prevent me from accessing "game" sites so I'm blind but think this link should work:
    http://www.pixellicker.com/games/games_slayin.html

Someone mentioned similar style games, like Tiny ARPG, but they may be unofficial clones of Slaying which likely pre-dates them.

14. Biggavelli

Biggavelli Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2011
    Boston,MA
    @ work no impressions from me until after lunch.Say 1-1:30pm.Maybe another code taker will/could chime in sooner.

15. Stayfitla

Stayfitla Active Member

Jan 20, 2012
    Student
    Phoenix, AZ
    #35 Stayfitla, Apr 3, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
    Game Impressions

I used X4MRFKN4P6TK to get the game and it is an awesome way to destroy time!

This is definitely has a Tiny ARPG feel, but does has WAY more replayability.

Be warned it does has IAP to buy "Fame" Points to open up all the features of the game. That being said, you can just as easily play the game to unlock the other characters and its not as time consuming as a lot of other games. Less than 40 minutes to unlock the wizard.

Mini FAQ Style thing:

Characters:

Knight - Attacks with sword by moving left and right. Upgrades affect speed, range, luck, and other upgrades that alter gameplay a bit. He's able to jump.

Wizard - Turns into a hurricane where she becomes invincible which destroy creatures she touches and blows them away as it dispels. Upgrades seem to focus on adding new spells she can unleash when not pressing the main button. She can't jump (as far as I can tell). - 3,000 FP to unlock.

Knave - Plays similar to the warrior, but has double dirks. Can jump.
    His weapon and armor upgrades revolve around increasing the amount of coins you can earn. So far as I can tell they do not seem to increase his range or speed. 5,000 FP to unlock.

Modes:

Normal - Default game play.

Advanced mode - which starts your character off at level 50 (which should mean you skip the minotaur, imp, and subsequent bosses). 8,000 FP to unlock.

Boss Rush Mode - You just face the bosses one after the other. 10,000 FP to unlock

Game Features:

-Each character has quests that help you earn "Fame" points, which are used to buy skins, characters, and other features via the tavern. You get 3 quests at a time and a new one comes up when you start a new game for each quest you've beaten.

-To change skins that you buy, go into the options menu from the main menu screen. The option to change skins is there. Yeah, I had to figure it out too.

-Coins and Jewels are used to buy upgrades for your characters (new weapons and armor for knight; New spells for the wizard) through the in-game vendor. Coins come in +1, +2, and +10 values (higher in values in the treasure chests after beating bosses.) Coins also heal you for certain amount depending on the size.

-The vendor pops up starting at level 6 and then returns every 5 levels (Level 5, Level 11, Level 16, Level 21... and so on). He has three weapon items that change over the course of the game, an armor upgrade that gives more enchantment after each upgrade, and a health item that costs more each time you buy).

-Game starts of simple with just slimes as your enemies. Flying, ranged, and trap type creatures eventually are added and will do their best to destroy you. Each creature is worth 1 experience point. Leveling by itself doesn't seem to do anything except when you reach each 10th level (Level 10, Level 20... etc) you battle a new boss.

-Game is scored based on a combo meter that is constantly going down if you are not killing creatures and that resets when you're hit. The higher your score, the more fame points you earn by the end of your game. Also, monsters drop various items that are only add score to your points. Max Multiplier is x5.

-Combos are used for multipliers, but if you keep killing monsters past 30 kills, you will begin to glimmer, shine, and sparkle leaving a trail of sparklets that don't do anything... However, once you do start sparkling you will notice that monsters will start only dropping gold coins instead of the silver ones. Also increases the chances of high value score items.

-Again, Bosses come every 10 level ups you get. If beaten, you get a "No Damage" of 10,000 bonus points added to your score. It doesn't increase with each boss. When you defeat the boss, a treasure chest drops giving you various amounts of coins and the vendor pops up so you can spend your coinage.

-Can buy a dragon scale in the tavern which allows you to revive once you die.

16. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    ?

How is the loot in this game?

17. ItouchBrett

ItouchBrett Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Link to thread?

18. Stayfitla

Stayfitla Active Member

Jan 20, 2012
    Student
    Phoenix, AZ
    The loot is basically the upgrades you get from the vendor.

19. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    The game came out today so if its not on the 1st page simply look on the second page

20. gabikun

gabikun Active Member

Jan 22, 2012
    Ok, so I've played only a little with the warrior class (I'm at work right now lol).

First of all, a small feature that I liked is that it was translated to spanish (yes, I'm from spain). It kinda surprised me as I usually play these "minor" (but not bad) games in english.

It has basic controls (2 buttons to move plus one more to jump), so no "A" button to smash like action rpgs usually do. It fits the game well. Reminded me of a PSP game called "half minute hero", which I liked a lot.

The main objective is to earn a good score by killing monsters and bosses (every 10 levels), but every once and then, you can buy things from a merchant and upgrade your weapons, armor, etc. to survive longer.

Overall, a great casual action rpg game. I will keep in my ipad for long time.