Universal SlotZ Racer 2 HD [Universal][Free]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Zwilnik, Jan 30, 2013.

1. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Yep all down to me not paying attention :rolleyes: all I'd played was quick races and tournaments, didn't even see the time trial tracks.

2. Trogon

Trogon Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2013
    Access to tracks on server and other glitchs

Firstly congratulations on creating such a fun and flexible game. You have done a great job on the editor, even my 7 year old daughter can pick it up and make a scenic track for me to race on.
    I' m new to Slotz but downloaded it almost immediately it was released along with pack 1 and have spent many hours playing and experimenting. I'm using IOS 5 on an Ipad3.

I have a few questions/ glitches to highlight.

The manual refers to Track Manager I don't have that tab under Track Editor.
    Consequently I can't see the "tracks available to download on track server" that the website refers to as being unlocked when a pack is purchased, or see an option to email to friends etc.
    Bugs?
    In the track editor sometimes when I change a section of a track I've made i loose the support wall on certain high level sections.
    On one track I made, under edit tracks/track settings I have lost the 'table colour' tab, it's simply not there and the table colour is black. The tab is still there on other tracks made. I could upload it to demonstrate.
    Suggestions.
    In the editor it would be good to be able to select a section and delete it rather than the have last added deleted. I keep going back to a track to update it. Being able to disconnect the track and remove sections without the whole track re-orientating would be good so that for example a section of a track could be changed/ extended.
    Scaling of the scenery items and a way to copy paste anywhere would be good. Although not racing purist, creating a track in ones own 'world' and then being able to race in it is very rewarding.

3. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Tried my hand at making a track, thought I'd start off easy with a NASCAR track,
    It works pretty well I've been playing endurance mode on it with the AI set to Nnnaargh, the code is : PDWRN

4. Zwilnik

Zwilnik Well-Known Member

Nice one! Harder than it looks because you used the flat 22.5 degree curve at the end of the first bank so you can't always take it flat out. If you use the half bank curves they're that bit edgier too. Good scenery selection.

5. Zwilnik

Trogon: on the iPad the track manager page and track editor page are all on the same menu screen so the Track Browser, Share Track and Enter Track Code buttons are all on the edit tracks screen. These rely on you being online though (as they are server based) so they won't show up if you start the game while offline.

Thanks for the bugs and feedback, all going into my notebook :)

6. Trogon

Trogon Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2013
    #46 Trogon, Feb 5, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
    1. Figured out why I can't see all the server tracks, need to set Track Browser to "All" (rather than "Top Tracks") under Game Options/Advanced Parms. Worth noting this in the manual perhaps. I appreciate that management of the tracks database may not be top of the list to work on. When I look at top tracks there is a huge amount of duplicatio with 10's of "Circuit Britains" and many others that were presumably vatious test versions of each track. There are also 10's of tracks with the same name (User Track 1 etc). I have scrolled through about 800 of the 2900 available. What is annoying is that there is no way I have found of jumping to a certain umber, so when I start browsing again I have to scroll from no.1 again, the largest group I can scroll in is 20's under the list format, but that is 40 swipes to get back to 800.

2. Please don't take the above as critism, the team have done a fantastic job but I think its worth pointing out various issues if they are solvable. Eventually some form of track classification to aid searching would be useful, or essential if the track no.s reach 10,000's. PC games like Spore managed upload databases in the millions with a detailed interface. Perhaps the classification could reference the definitions made under 'Track Settings' when a track is created/ editted. Perhaps with additional user input 'tags' referring to length, curvature, recommnded speed/grip/acc setigns etc.

3. Could the speed/grip/acc ever be made defineble on a track by track or race basis, rather than a global set-up, so e.g you could mimic the conditions say of ice, dirt track etc (or are the surface physics already adapted when 'Track Type' is defined?)

4. The 'Table Colour' tab has re-appeared on the track edit I mentioned in my previous post. Think some houses have disappeared, but no worries its not happened on others.

5. Lastly how do I set up a Custom Championship of my own, I can't see a tab for that anywhere.

If you would rather receive feedback direct rather than open forum please p/m me.

Many thanks.

7. Trogon

Trogon Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2013
    Nice start. Have a look at ZSTDX I made to see what is possible with a small amount of effort. The track is best played at a lower grip than 50%, and Camera set at Moving 2 (or 3 or 1) to get a sense of immersion.

8. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Nice track, I played endurance mode with camera moving 3.

I'm really loving playing the single race endurance mode (normally a 2 minute race) just because its cool seeing the track change from day-night-day again,

9. Zwilnik

Constructive feedback on the forum is actually pretty useful. It keeps me on my toes ;)

There's quite a bit of work planned for the track server, both in the interface and how we manage it. There's going to be a bit of a cull from time to time to strip out badly broken and obvious duplicate tracks (tip: if you have done a radical but not obvious change to one of the standard tracks, give it a different name ;) ).

Grip and drift automatically change when the track is ice or dirt at the moment. Although for dirt tracks it's fairly subtle.

Custom championships is one thing that got removed in the update from the original SlotZ Racer because compared to the amount they were used, the development time required to make the custom championship setup user friendly was just too much for the initial launch build. (The original custom championship setup was a tad clunky). Once I can work out a good way to do it, I'll be putting it back in.

10. Zwilnik

Very nice track. I like how you made ice racing even more dangerous by having the track cross itself twice :)

I've taken the liberty of doing a couple of mods and uploading a variation. WRVPJ. If you use the crossover piece either side of a crossover, you can make the track plain so it blends a little nicer as the track crosses.

11. Trogon

Trogon Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2013
    No problem, good tip, I'll use that approach to crossings in future.

12. Trogon

Trogon Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2013
    The day-night-day change in endurance mode is particularly cool in a snow theme I think. Was still 1 change over in the 5 minute race I tried out, are there more change overs with longer durations.
    Once you get to know a track and the timings on turns become automatic the Moving 2 and 1 camera angles add a completely different feel to the race. I love using them in scenic tracks. Trailing and Driver angles are fun too but on long tracks its easy to forget exactly where you are and whats coming up next on new tracks, it becomes like 'Real Racers' then.

13. Zwilnik

Endurance mode is a '24 hour' race, so the longer the race is, the longer each day/night segment is (essentially it's 25% day, 50% night, 25% day).

Have you set your default camera mode to Moving 2 btw?

14. Trogon

Trogon Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2013
    Yes have set default to Moving 2 since thats ultimately what I like to race with, so when testing a track I've made I can check for potential obstructions of the track by scenery.

Are you working on the server, can't share a track at the moment; I am continually connected by fibre optic at home.

15. Zwilnik

Track browsing is working, but there does seem to be a problem sharing tracks. I'm on it..

16. Trogon

Trogon Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2013
    I'll continue with the Championship mode, good level of challenge so far. Just a thought; in Championships are the grip, speed, accel factors fixed or altered if the Advanced Params have been changed from the defaults by the user?

17. Zwilnik

Championships use whatever settings you've selected (so you can cheat a bit ;) ). The Time Trials for the leaderboards overide your settings to the defaults though.

Found what's causing your share issues. Looks like there's a small bug in the uploading code. There's a workaround though as it's a little bit random and to do with the track length. Essentially if you change the track length by 1-8 track pieces (shorten the last straight and insert pieces for instance) then try and share again, you should be able to get it to work.

I just had the same problem doing a demonstration track for the crossover piece. It shows a simple figure of 8 demolition derby track. Great fun in multiplayer with friends :) PVJZZ

Attached Files:

18. Trogon

Trogon Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2013
    Thanks, I'll give it a go at some point. Love Minty Carlo in the Vintage GP by the way. Are the hills at the back special ones, they seem higher than the scenery options, unless its my imagination?

19. Zwilnik

The Goodstone and Minty Carlo tracks use the "Airfield" and "Harbour" track pieces that come with built in scenery. For the Harbour one, that includes hills at the back of the baseboard and more buildings and boats in the harbour.

20. Trogon

Trogon Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2013
    #60 Trogon, Feb 5, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
    Got it, so need to size the track appropriately to fit in with the harbour/ airfield 'board' dimension.