Universal SlotZ Racer 2 HD [Universal][Free]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Zwilnik, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Zwilnik

Zwilnik Well-Known Member

Yup. it's like building the track onto a preset board. You start by changing the first piece to the Harbour or Airfield one (the option only shows up when you have the first piece selected) and then work from there.

2. GPS

GPS Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Australia
    Hey am I correct that in championship you cannot choose to use your modified vehicle?

3. Zwilnik

In championships, you always use the first car of the four, however it is customised. The one shown in the actual championship selector is just to show the car type. So as long as you modify the first of the 4 in the car editor, you'll get to use it.

This of course means you can use pro-tune to tweak your car for the harder championships :)

4. GPS

GPS Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Australia
    Good to know, thanks. :)

5. Trogon

Trogon Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2013
    I've been experimenting with dirt tracks set in woodland. My first track (FCNPK) had sweeping curves. An observation....with the 'TypeZ Drift' car, Grip set to 0%, Speed to 75% I still easily won at Nnnaargh level. Made a tighter curve version (PZTTR) with same settings, achieved same result. Is this what you would expect? Using track racers had a different result of course. Feel free to delete the non-preferred track from the server to avoid duplications or make improvements as you see fit.

6. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Thats a cool track, I used the drift car with camera moving 3.

7. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    :eek: all this time and I didn't know you could tune the cars to use in championship mode :confused:
    Even after buying both iap I still didn't realise lol,

Well that's just made doing Nnnaaargh mode a much more reasonable task.

I'm off to tune my slot cars :D

8. Zwilnik

The computer players are still a bit bad at drifting ;) So while they'll leave you in their mirrors in Nnnarrgh difficulty in most cars, you can get your revenge with the drift cars ;)

They're also better at tracks with long straights, so over the course of a championship you tend to need to consolidate wins on the twisty tracks and try and get as many points as possible on the flat out ones.

Forest Drive is a very good track. I prefer the tighter curve version, mainly because you've got the end piece connecting better, but both are good.

It's interesting that you use a lot of lane changers. The important thing with those is to have an odd number so that players don't stick to the same lanes each time they go round a particular corner if you're using them to balance out the track length, but if the loops on a track mean that your inside/outside curves are fairly balanced then you can go to town on them :)

9. Trogon

Trogon Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2013
    Forgot to say the scenery is optimised for Moving 2, my preferred camera once I know a track.

10. Trogon

Trogon Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2013
    To be honest I have not yet put much effort into track balancing. I like cross overs just before corners because the alternation of the curve radius you have to take on each lap makes me at least vary my braking into the same corner each lap.

11. Zwilnik

Hehe yeah, whatever makes it a fun track really and crossovers and lane changing always add to the chance of a pile up :)

What I've always found is that as the track gets longer and twistier, the actual physical length of each lane matters less. The more complex tracks pretty much get balanced on feel over time (which is why we re-tuned a few of the tracks from SlotZ Racer 1 for better balance despite them technically being 'even').

12. Trogon

Trogon Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2013
    To clarify, if upload problem try shortening between 1 and 8 segments of a long straight and inserting to maintain total track length or if have a number of long straights do the same to all of them, or shorten the total track length?

13. Zwilnik

Try shortening and inserting. Essentially increasing the number of track pieces by 1-8

14. Trogon

Trogon Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2013
    Thanks. My 7 year old daughter wanted me To share this track she made (GZKBN). It's actually a blast with superbikes on a higher difficulty setting (not as straightforward as it first looks on dirt), Moving 2 as usual works well. I'm sure she'd appreciate some feedback. It's testament to the editor (which I've noticed one review site at least thinks will be quite difficult for some people?) that a 7 year old can pick it up with virtually no instruction and complete this as only her 2nd track.

Had one suggestion. Often play Quick race; would be good to be told up front of race which track it is (with code ideally) so if liked it can be looked up/ downloaded.

15. Zwilnik

That's a good track :) Can see if being pretty good with the faster cars such as the Grand Prix cars or the SP/300.R too.

I saw that review too and while we appreciate every review we get (especially as Apple doesn't appear to be featuring the game and it's always difficult for new games to get visibility), it's always a bit disheartening to see when a reviewer doesn't quite get something, or (as in a couple of much worse reviews I've seen), a reviewer wants a particular game, such as Mario Kart and attacks the game for not being that game rather than playing it for what it is.

Feel free to comment on any reviews you think are wrong to set them right though :) (not something I feel right doing as the developer unless it's a specific inaccuracy).

16. Trogon

Trogon Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2013
    Counter review done. Will do similar if I come across others, but I don't look at many review sites regularly (IGN, Appspy, Pocket Gamer). If there are any you think would benefit from balancing opinion let me know the site I'm happy to look at them.

Do you know of any sites that post 'best of' track codes on a regular basis. Any plans to have such on your website say on a weekly basis in the future?

17. Zwilnik

Thanks for that, much appreciated :)

Once the dust settles and I get a chance to properly tidy the track server, we're going to be posting our favourite tracks on the Strange Flavour facebook group https://www.facebook.com/pages/Strange-Flavour-Ltd/20372296306 and we'll probably have a favourite tracks page on the website at some point. Any ones we really like a lot will be considered for addition to the Top Tracks list in the game.

18. Zwilnik

SlotZ Racer 2 HD v2.01 has been approved and should be rolling out to the App Store tonight.

This update fixes the issue with the Caterham Pack IAP not unlocking all the extras when it's bought on its own, adds the new "Relaxed" mode and fixes a few other bits.

I'm already working on the 2.02 update which is more of a feature one (a quick update to fix the Caterham Pack bug meant 2.01 was more of a bugfix update).

Oh, and I've added the Eli track that was done as an extra track for SlotZ Racer Caterham Special (for a certain TA writer's birthday promo) to the Top Tracks list too :)

19. Zwilnik

Just doing some final tweaks for a 2.02 update. Mostly to sort a few issues with 'bad' tracks being allowed to be shared to the track server (and fixing the inability to share the good ones).

While I was at it I've also added some features to the Track Browser.

If you're on the iPad you can now view 100 tracks at once so (once it's grabbed them from the server) you can tap straight to a specific one. It also means you can scroll 100 tracks at a time too :)

On any device, you now have All Tracks/Top Tracks buttons to switch modes in the browser and I've fixed the bug that stopped it saving your preference on that switch.

Also, in x10,x100 or track list views, you can tap on the track count at the bottom to directly type in a track number to jump to.

I'm going to be doing some server side updates too so that tracks can be tidied up, especially with duplicates and broken tracks. One major change is that when you upload a track the server will timestamp it and this will be updated whenever anyone downloads the track. That way, any tracks that haven't been accessed in two weeks will automatically be removed from the server and archived.

We'll be able to mark tracks as 'permanent' too though. So any we spot as good tracks or any that are requested (or have a lot of access) we can keep permanently in the list.

20. staffordling

staffordling Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2012
    Very addictive game, and its free! Is in my top 10 for sure! The new relax mode is very interesting. I like it!!! How about in the future a possibility to download other players tracks? Just an idea....