Universal Smash Bandits Racing - (by Hutch Games Ltd)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Cynuyt

Cynuyt Well-Known Member

Interesting it, wait get and trying in itune US store.

2. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Doesn't this game already have a thread with impressions from the soft release in Singapore?

3. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #23 Rip73, Aug 21, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
    It does have the same schemes.
    But they are more fine tuned in this one.
    Its a case of placing your finger behind the car and sliding around to change direction with a bit of lift and tap to destroy cop cruisers.
    Haven't tried the other scheme, but anyone familiar with the old one should have no problem but it does seem better, fine tuned basically, than the older one.
    Can't quite substantiate it (and i know I'm not explaining it terrible well) but I was a bit uncomfortable with it in the previous game initially but found it far more natural and better suited to this one.

As to the person who asked about iap, I didn't have the option to check them out on the soft release but from playing I didn't find it grindy or any real problem.
    I can imagine getting to the Hennessy Venom could be a bit of a problem for some through normal gameplay but again couldn't check out iap or prices on the Signapore release but I imagine if the iap is priced right, the Venom I'll be buying very quickly on the international release because it looks awesome.

It is an awful lot of fun and I personally think the format suits the Bandit element better than the Cop element of the previous one. Being able to switch out vehicles is entertaining and it is a very good graphics step up.

I should qualify by saying I only spent almost a couple of hours with the soft launch because I decided to hold off for the final release to plough through it properly. But during that time, the freemium element didn't impede me in any way and I certainly enjoyed playing it even more than Smash Cops.
    The controls, visuals and fun factor are definitely there and its well worth a look. You will enjoy it.

Spyker or Hennessy cars look very nice also.

4. Red1

Red1 Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 26, 2010
    Pre-occupied
    #24 Red1, Aug 21, 2013
    This game is fun, if you happen to enjoy ramming vehicles. When a cop pulls alongside, you can lift your finger, then tap which vehicle to Ram. The more vehicles and objects you damage, the more TV ratings and money you earn.

You can buy new vehicles, gadets (Sonic Repulsor) and upgrades like speed, handling and more ram. And frankly, everyone wants more ram, right.

There's also missions to complete ("Smash XX roadside markers in one run") etc. These can be skipped with currency earned in game or IAP.

I enjoyed Smashcops, but after a short play, I prefer this.

Edit: Hmmm. Once your "wanted level" gets too high, you have to use your earned credits (or IAP) to race again, or to pay for a "lawyer" to get back on the road.

5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Thanks, i'll give both control schemes a go. Looking forward to this, a '12 o clocker' for me (i'll stay up till midnight to get this).

Might get one IAP as a way of saying 'thanks' to the dev (as long as its not super grindy). But it looks a lot of fun, roll on midnight

6. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    I've a good feeling you'll enjoy it a lot.

I'll be going the same route as yourself on the iap once I get it in my local store because to be fair, I've gotten a lot of fun from the soft launch one already even.
    Plus the Venom is a super cool car, but I'd also take the Syker.

As good as Smash Cops is, and it is very good, this one has added all the elements that I thought would make it better so I can't really see people not enjoying it.

7. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Ugh...here we go. So there are essentially timers in the game? You're penalized for having a high "wanted level"?

Any chance they went the Trial By Survival route and we can remove timers/freemium aspects from the game?

8. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Timers are the devil!....

9. Bronxsta

Yeah paywalls, I can deal with, but timers make me instantly delete games. And the "lawyer" and wanted levels sound like some form of timers. Any clarification on those work, NZ gamers?

10. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #30 Rip73, Aug 21, 2013
    Its two chips to bribe the cops. Or fifteen minutes wait.
    You'll always bribe as you get one chip for levelling up each time and for challenges (number varies by challenge). And levelling up isn't difficult by any means. Don't know anything about a level cap but wouldn't imagine there is one.

The chips can also be used for continuing a run or jacking a cop car at end of run and continuing, stuff like that.

Car enhancements, ram and run flat tires are all in game cash and top car is 300 chips (I think if I remember right).

And 50 chips for a lawyer but I don't know what the lawyer does or how long it lasts as I never bought it before.

Don't know the cost of chips iap wise yet. But bribing for two chips is no real problem to skip the fifteen minutes, its really an impatient mechanic. Annoying to a degree for some, yes, but chips are easy to come by so shouldn't really be a problem for most as during my time with it, I had plenty of chips from levelling up and the challenges.

11. one.sixty.four

one.sixty.four Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    minnesota
    Not freemium!!! ;(

12. Mysticpete

Mysticpete Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2012
    I know it says not for ipod 4G but has anyone tried it on this device? I wish it played on it as its only ios device i got

13. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Freemium i'm not keen on but timers ? Hate that even more.

I'll give the game a go but if there was an IAP to get rid of timers i wouldnt mind, but if they're there all the time and i cant simply play the game how i want and have to wait, then i'll pass

The original Smash Cops game was great, glad i bought that before it went freemium. Just wish i could pay $4.99 for this and have a' normal' game.

14. sink_or_swim

sink_or_swim Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Germany
    Enjoyable game, I haven't played that much but hey.. You can drive a boat :D

15. strivemind

strivemind Well-Known Member

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Adding timers like this to a game is a terrible marketing decision. You're practically telling the player to leave the game and go play something else. Annoy them enough, and who's to say they'll come back?

16. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Exactly. I'll play something else and forget about this. I was talking of buying an IAP to say 'thanks' to the dev, now due to timers, hell no !

Its a shame as it looks great and from the trailer it seems to play very well, and to be fair i havent played it yet 'but' i'm preparing myself for yet another game ruined by IAP's/timers. IAP's are one thing, but timers ? Timers are even worse than iap's !

17. Bronxsta

+1

Any IAP to remove timers? I can dream, right...

18. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Urghh. I hate timers so not even sure about downloading this one.

19. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Drat. Timers are the worst coz they dont let you play the game at all unless you give in to their greed.

Grindfest, perma-unlocks, or even ads i can stand, but not timers.

20. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    This, this and this... Game looks great, but I can't cope with timers like the ones described in the thread. It's like going to the old arcades to play, but in your phone :(