So how did the full game in-app purchases pan out?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by GDSage, Jan 28, 2010.

1. mobile1up

mobile1up Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    what?

i have a few devices - one will always run 2.0. you also have an excellent emulator to test things out on as well that can test every different variant of the operating system. this argument is bollocks. you will never see the day where every developer will force you to upgrade. mobile 1up surely will always support 2.0 if the application doesn't require additional functionality not available in 2.0

2. D-Cypher

D-Cypher Well-Known Member

Very interesting. That definitely skews the data even more towards 2.2.1 or less.

3. mobile1up

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    iphone users have the luxury of 3G/UMTS/GPRS.

i know a lot of users with ipod touches that use wifi to download stuff; but never to run games and be presented with adverts or so. if they are near a wireless network - they'll use a desktop or laptop computer first. never believe the admob data - it only represents a small portion of the market

4. Flickitty

Flickitty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    Yep. When looking at data, you need to analyze not only 'what does this data mean to me', but you also need to determine the source of the data and who is presenting it.

AdMob makes a habit of looking at data and making it's own assumptions. Unfortunately, you also need to look at what AdMob gains by presenting these numbers (in their favor, obviously).

It is similar to the way Symantec warns you about the 13 bajillion virii that are out there WAITING TO INFECT YOUR COMPUTER RIGHT NOW!!!

OH NOES!!!

5. D-Cypher

D-Cypher Well-Known Member

Understood. However, it's the only data I was able to find after a quick search. Any other sources of data?

6. mobile1up

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    this is exactly why we gather our own data - at least we know it is more relevant than marketing/advert driven traffic. if a user wants to submit a high score; then we get this info. we still have the issue of people never submitting high scores - but at least from the ones that do; we have information.

i have posted it a bunch of times around the place on this forums; i get reports every month on the usage and i see 2.x slowly declining but not enough for me to drop it completely. our windows games still run on windows 95 :)

7. brof

brof Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Software Architect
    Stuttgart, Germany
    if it was a law causing the 3.0 update to be so sold. Why didn't they make it cheaper?? Make it 1.99$ ... I don't believe that it was the law alone...

cheers