Universal So Long, Oregon! by the devs of ... you know what. (Universal App)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Ouisch

Ouisch Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2009
    Oh, OK. Cool. Thanks. And that's awesome, I've only ever gotten the "purple" curse that makes the back end of your wagon bump around like crazy.

This game is just dead awesome.

2. ElectricGrandpa

ElectricGrandpa Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Developer
    Brampton, Ontario
    One time when Pa died on the way back from El Dorado, we picked up an indian girl at a village who became one of my family members.

Unless I'm mistaken, I think I still have the regular mode high score with 1840. Woot.

I also managed to get first place in the "historical" race, that was an intense voyage... So much pressure when you're in first place.

3. Saucepolicy

Saucepolicy Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Feb 18, 2009
    Crispy ex-game developer
    This is one of those games that hits a certain niche right in the funny bone, and is going to leave everyone else shaking their heads and wondering why anyone is wasting their money. That theory is definitely proving itself out in this thread.

I happen to be one of the "believers" as are several of my friends and coworkers and I'll attempt to explain why:

- We're all in our 30's and have a certain nostalgia for old Apple II games

- Oregon Trail was a part of our childhoods, and this game incorporates most elements from the original in a more interesting way than the actual Oregon Trail remake from Gameloft. If you're going to fundamentally change the source material, at least make it fun. So Long, Oregon does that.

- As another poster mentioned, the game does play a lot like Excite Bike, which is not a bad game to emulate.

Is it perfect? No of course not. While much of the presentation is hearkens back the original, some of the UI is just intentionally ugly and/or induces seizure.

The courses appear to be randomly generated which means that some playthroughs can be maddeningly frustrating if two steep mountains are placed too close together and for whatever reason there's little chance to get enough speed to clear the valley between them.

I do think the physics are a tad too sensitive so it's far too easy to roll the wagons for the slightest miscalculation on the angle. I also think the wagon stays upside down too long. I'd rather take somewhat more punishing injuries to my party and flip back over just a little sooner. But then again, this is a brutal trip back to the difficulty level of 80's video games, so that's probably intentional.

One final note, I love to play the Original Oregon Trail challenge. The absurdity of 20 wagons flipping over each other in a mad dash to the finish always makes me smile.

4. Ouisch

Ouisch Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2009
    Agreed on all points. This is turning out to be one of my favorite games on the app store. Or, if not favorite, at least one of my most played. Sure it can be intentionally frustrating sometimes, but it seems to do so in such a way that makes you chuckle at the ridiculousness of it all, rather than chucking your iPhone at the wall in a fit of rage. And really, a lot of those Apple II games were frustrating enough to make you want to rip the 5 and 1/4 '' disc in half, so it's kind of nostalgic in that way as well.

It does definitely do a good job of feeding my Oregon Trail joneses too. Even though the game play is fundamentally changed, they managed to capture the addictiveness of the journey and trying to get there with all members of your party alive. Somehow Gameloft's Oregon Trail just never did this for me. They replaced all the depth I liked with a bunch of repetitive and annoying minigames that didn't fit with the tone of the rest of the game (though I did like fishing).

Also, it's true that anyone I've showed this game to (that's near my age and remembers the original Oregon Trail) has absolutely loved it.

5. ElectricGrandpa

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Developer
    Brampton, Ontario
    So true. I once got my wagon stuck perfectly between two hills so there was no way out. Rather than being frustrating, it was just hilarious. My solution was to shake my family to death.

6. Ouisch

Ouisch Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2009
    Ha! Actually the exact same thing happened to me once. I ended up doing a flip in such a way that I landed back end up directly between two quite steep hills with seemingly no way to tip myself onto one or the other. I ended up just restarting because I totally forgot you could torture your family to death by shaking the device.

7. ElectricGrandpa

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Developer
    Brampton, Ontario
    #87 ElectricGrandpa, Aug 13, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
    Double posted whoops

8. iDRevolution

iDRevolution Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Canada
    how u guys got the enviro bear car

9. Ouisch

Ouisch Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2009
    Just hit the little icon of a wagon on the top left of the intro screen. It should turn into the enviro bear car.

10. iDRevolution

iDRevolution Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Canada
  11. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    What does shaking do?... and once you hit el derado you have to go back the way you came? I'm having fun but still a little confused...:confused:

12. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    The "shaking may help" thing is totally trolling you. All it does is damage your party members. ;)

13. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I'm pretty sure shaking helps to flip your wagon when it's upside down.

14. 1337brian

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    I could have sworn I got a small speed boost? Maybe it's just my imagination?.. Now what about hitting el derado and then what turn around and go back?! I'm so confused... Maybe that's what the dev's wanted though...:p

15. 1337brian

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head

I don't see it either...:confused:

Mines broken...

16. 1337brian

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head

Yup your right it does... Your the man MIDIAN!!! :D:p:eek:

17. Ouisch

Ouisch Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2009
    Yeah, once you get to El Dorado and get the gold, you have to turn back. Travelling backwards. :) Unless Indians give you the blue curse, which will occasionally allow you to go forwards on the way back. I think the confusion is part of the fun, but once you get used to the game it all starts to make perfect sense.

Right on the splash screen when you start the game, at the very top left, there should be a little green square with what looks like an ox and your wagon in it (right beside the little white music and volume buttons). Hit that and it should change into the enviro bear car.

I thought I noticed this once too, but I figured it was just my imagination. Will have to try it again.

Seriously, this game owns. Whatever core element of the original Oregon Trail had me hopelessly addicted, these guys nailed. Actually.. I was an excitebike addict too. Maybe they just nailed exactly what I liked about both those games and pooled them together into this.

18. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    It doesn't flip you the whole way, but I'm sure it gives you a nudge, you have to keep shaking for it to be enough to get you over.

19. McChikun

McChikun Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2008
    If you can't find the Envirobear icon, try connecting to wi-fi and enabling Open Feint. I'm not completely sure, but I think the icon didn't appear for me until after I did this.

20. Ouisch

Ouisch Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2009
    Oh yeah, true. Forgot about that. I think you have to have Open Feint enabled and connect as apparently it's a "limited time" deal thing, kind of like the hat and mask for early adopters of Super QuickHook.