Universal Sonic Dash - (by SEGA)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Eoghann

Eoghann Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    IT Guy/Graphic Designer/Gamer
    New York
    Apparently, iPhone 4 is BARELY supported despite what the description says.

I bought this game expecting:

[​IMG]

But instead I got:

A 1994 era GIF loading screen.
    [​IMG]

And a Dreamscast port (even though I think SOnic Adventure had much more polygons than what I'm getting here)
    [​IMG]

Much less polygons and much less textures! So misleading. I probably wouldn't mind as much if the gameplay weren't jittery at times. :(

I REALLY hope this is some kind of bug, because if that's how I'm meant to play it...I think for the first time in my iOS gaming history, I'll have to ask for a refund.

2. Tophat Trick

Tophat Trick New Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Various Titles Held
    Somewhere in the U.S. of A
    Okay, I'm writing this from a completely biased from the Sonic diehard fan and long time gamer perspective and this is my first impressions review.

Gameplay: ripped straight from Agent Dash or the (still superior for now... Pitfall) 3 lane based Endless Runner that moves a steady frame rate. The Power Rings per classic Sonic logic give you the risk reward of running fast and trying new (well quicker riskier) maneuvers avoiding the obsticales or enemies and pits. Rings are your health sorta... If you have rings you can accidentally hit obsticales or enemies once and still be good to go unlike other Runners, since this is Sonic new rings are always just ahead. It's a good old school mechanic that translates to this new age iOS Endless Runner game type. There is also a Dash (or Boost) gauge that obtrusively fills the right side of the screen. While on the one hand, nice to have a gauge for your boost. This sucker belongs on the bottom or redesign it cuz it's HUGE I'm using an iPhone 5 for this so anyone not on an iPad/new iPod/iPhone has to be screwed here. The boost very oddly against Sonic logic cannot be activated until filled to max. Triggering will result in insta win/speed for short time. The oddity is when you stop even if your over a death pit, your instantly warped to a section of the track you didn't even see ahead of you. Like you time jump in the games internal endless logic. This is Needlessly jarring and you can be winning one moment the next BAM wall and your dead. This is a little rage enducing. If there where perhaps different skillets to equip and change the boost that would make for a more logical gameplay mechanic. So you could have your fill to max and use once Dash skill and maybe a not insta win, but able to use Dash whenever you had a bit of juice it would do wonders for gameplay and not to mention BE LIKE EVERY SONIC GAME WITH A BOOST BEFORE IT. Sonic is able to do is trademark spin dash while running ala Sonic Adventure series, but while that both protects and allows you to attack enemies it's a bit janky. You can seemingly go into a roll with just a downward swipe instantly but you can't continuously use it for a string of enemies, maybe the games designed this way maybe not, further gameplay will reveal this to be flaw or design choice. You have the stereotypical myriad of standard In-App-Purchases or IAP, your starting boost your continue token and so on. Nothing new here. It would seem to me that the actuall swiping from left tk right to lane change (which i might add Sonic has had this mechanic long long before these iOS Endless Runners Sonic 2 Genesis, jusy saying) My biggest gameplay gripe is when you come to a death put and the game literally puts "JUMP!" On the screen, you go to do your jump and are expected to jump a second time to do Sonics trademark Homeing Attack but you die 5/10 times. I have not determined if this is just broken as all get out or perhaps the game has communicated to me wrongly about how to play. But much like the Rolling Spin Dash it should be like every Somic game before, allow th user to continually mash that button (or swipe) in this case continuously to make sure we get the damn robot we are to smash to clear th death pit. This is the single biggest "break your phone in rage and fits of yelling obscenities" moment in the game and is at this moment the reason I give it 4/5 on the TA scale until the enevitable update fixes (or not) the gameplay issues and that jarring loading after every game.

Graphics: we are greeted with very crisp very colorful sonic 3D graphics, reminiscent of Sonic 4 Episode 2 on iOS though, notably without that titles artistic direction and lighting tech. Presumably because this title was developed out of house and seemingly uses a proprietary engine. Why The Hedgehog engine wasn't used us beyond me. But that is speculation. When your moving the graphics amaze (at least on latest gen hardware) The static art seems the most loved as even the title cars with Sonic front and center shows a little more love then usual with little touches such as the dirty marks on his shoes. The stages, which thankfully seamlessly transition from one to the other are ripped straight from the past sonic games, generally the Zone 1 of Green Hill and Zone 1 SeaHill (I might have that one wrong, the first stage from Sonic Heroes) Not that that's a bad thing... But a little more variety would be nice. I should note those are the only two I've seen at present. But there is no reason this game couldn't have the advanced level of Pitfall's amazing scenery change here with updates.

Sound: Another gripe. I must admit I within 5mins of gameplay thought that while the music was suitably (Sonic) it just wasn't fast enough mismatched with the action. I quickly popped my task manager over to the numerous Sonic albums in my iPhone. Green Forest seemed appropriate and improved my gameplay immensely. Ironically that's not an IAP purchase... Maybe it has more and better music but for now stick to some classic Sonic tunes.

TA Rating: 4/5
    IGN or Classic rating: 6.5/10
    Summery: Solid... For the most part, best original Sonic on the App Store but after it over comes some technical and gameplay issues its still gotta go Super Sonic to catch up to Pitfall's breakneck pace.
    TTFN
    TT

3. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    ^You might want to try breaking up the big paragraphs int smaller paragraphs as it kinda reminds me of the gamefaqs days where people dont read walls of text and just put "tl:dr" on their post.

As for the game, i did say some will love it for giving a solid Sonic feel in the game, but it isnt for everyone, especially the ones who are all too comfy with today's top runner titles.

Personally, i really like it, more of a high risk high reward running game that gives me a real blast of nostalgia.

4. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Sorry to hear that bro, I dunno what to tell you other than "older" devices are starting to suffer from less effects and post-processing in quite a lot of games.

Not to rub it in, but if anyone wants a couple of iPad 3 screens:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/arlf8d1n0vh1l8a/2013-03-07%2006.25.57.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/alh6n04ocjuxzi5/2013-03-07%2006.31.22.png

5. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    I think you and your evil twin should get your stories together next time before you post.

6. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    I think I know what happened here. Some of the enemy obstacle setups can be tricky until you start to recognize them and remember the strategy to avoiding them. What seemed a bit unfair at first soon turns into something you blow past with relative ease because next time, you know there's a little spiky dude sitting on the floor right behind the rock.

7. Raiel

Raiel Member

Oct 1, 2012
    I wanted to like this, but it's really just not very good. It looks pretty good, but that's about it. The controls feel janky, the level design isn't clever or interesting and the music seems off somehow.

Bottom line: played it for 15 minutes, probably won't be playing it ever again.

8. FrankiePard

FrankiePard Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    I am not sure if I should get this.
    I love sonic but the last few titles from sega has been such a disappointment.
    Will wait for more info and decide to get it or not :)

9. Markku

Markku Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2011
    Does this have missions like jet pack joyride?

10. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    "Kinda sucks" doesnt mean i am avoiding the game at all. And thanks for copy pasting only a few of everything i posted as that made a lot of sense. Also, there's this thing called first impression, and then there are things called reviews.

You always had a way with words Gabrien, and i like that, but sometimes your posts are just plain elitist nonsense.

11. istako

istako Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2012
    Ok, firs of all this is the best 3D behind the back runner Iive ever played. My dissapointments are as dollows:
    - only a few characters with almost no distinct abilities and no real confirmation from Sega that they will bring us more characters and levels...
    - the music is dubstepy techno because why? I remember the time when Sonic was about kickass rock and metal that I still have in my MP3! What the hell is this poormans version of Seaside Hill?! I want the original. That was beautiful and awesome...
    - no panoramic mode. I Hate playing games with no panoramic modes... But for this i wont bash on it. The game is too fun.

Im a fanboy, i admit it, and I like the game. Looks and feels awesome. Enjoy yall! Lets just hope we get new stuff like in Sonic Jump... That game wasnt event worth getting the new content, but they gave it to us. I hope its like that with this, and I hope we get Shadow this time around.

12. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Thank you. If you would be so kind, please do continue to openly express the above sentiment whenever it strikes you as fitting. It reinforces to me that I must be doing something right.

13. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Sure does. Go through 4 corkscrews, bank 200 coins, etc.

14. BoneyCork

BoneyCork Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2011
    Something a bt more positive I feel I should mention...

The draw distance is amazing. The thing I hate most about TR2 is even on the new iPad, everything appears right before your eyes. With Sonic though, when you hit a loop or something you can see the track stretching way off to the horizon. Very nice.

15. kaibosh

kaibosh Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2012
    Meh. Total Subway Surfers ripoff but with gloppy controls and no real 'feel' to the game. Gorgeous and lifeless. I wish I hadn't bought it. On a good note it is better than any Temple Run game, but that isn't a lofty goal.

16. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Funny you should mention Subway Surfers, because that *points above* is exactly how I felt about it. I know it's got a huge following and I certainly don't want to sound snarky, but yeah...it never clicked with me and I've ended up deleting it about half a dozen times until it finally got through my skull that I just don't like Subway Surfers at all.

17. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    What's everyone's problem with the controls? They're almost perfect on iPad so maybe it's an iPhone/screen size thing. Moving left and right is practically instant with only the slightest delay for the animation and I'm able to do a super quick left-right or right-left by swiping without lifting my finger.

One thing I have noticed is that you have to learn how long the spin attack lasts for. If you swipe down expecting to roll through three enemies spaced apart you'll probably find yourself getting damaged on the last one. Also, after leaping to a new area, you spin as you land... in some situations this can be dangerous as you'll exit the spin right into an enemy, so you'll need to learn when to quickly jump out of spins early.

It all feels intentional to me, as it's basically the exact same way spins work in every Sonic game.

18. syafectz

syafectz Member

Sep 16, 2012
  19. plutonicLove

plutonicLove Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Grad student, Mechanical Engineering
    Waco, TX
  20. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    I'm not sure I understand the negative comments here. It's cheap, fun, and controls well. I'm actually thrilled that they kept it swipe to move rather than tilt. I wont play tilt games on my iPad. The arguments that it's a ripoff of Subway Surfers is pretty funny to me, because that game is derivative of other games itself. This is obviously not going to win points for originality, but I think it's a nice, light, fun use of the Sonic IP. There is IAP there, but I feel no pressure whatsoever to use it. I've been very happy so far.