Universal Sonic Dash - (by SEGA)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Eoghann

Eoghann Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    IT Guy/Graphic Designer/Gamer
    New York
    Yeah. My poor little iPhone 4 is being left behind. And I'm totally ok with that. Just some honesty would've been nice. Like that Last Knight game that said " iPhone 4 supported but NOT recommended". Or just a plain "iPhone 4 not supported" would've sufficed. I knew what I was getting into when downloading Last Knight. But Sega really pulled the rug from under me with this one, promising shiny graphics and smooth gameplay but sneaking in a watered down version that doesn't even play well despite all the sacrifices it made.

Ah well. Should've expected something like this from a big company.

As soon as that retina iPad mini comes out I'm all over it.

2. BoneyCork

BoneyCork Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2011
    Yeah but in comparison it isnt. It's $2 more than Temple Run, Subway Surfers and Agent Dash. What am I getting for that money? Just the chance to play as Sonic?

The last time I gave Sega $2 was in the Christmas Sale. For that I got Sonic 4 Episode 2 and Sonic CD.

Kinda puts things in perspective for me.

I would've liked to see more than just two zones, and characters slightly easier to unlock without paying.

3. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I'm happy to pay $2 just for anything to not be Temple Run. Subway Surfers is good though... if it were a choice between that and this game I'd say get Subway Surfers, but I'm done with that now. Played it when it was new, got bored... no need to go back.

4. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    It doesn't necessarily need to be compared. It's $1.99. It's cheap. If you don't like it, that's fine, but $1.99 for the quality of this game is cheap. I think SEGA has been strange on this platform. There are definitely hits and misses, but this one I think is quite good for what you pay. They've had the Sonic kart racer for free and I think that's fantastic. They've also put out poorly emulated oldies for what's probably above their value. It just depends. However, I'm just glad they didn't go completely freemium on this, or I'd likely be out.

5. BoneyCork

BoneyCork Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2011
    I'm not sure how this differs from a Freemium endless runner though...

I guess it's just down to your opinion of the overall runner experience. But for me Agent Dash is a much better 3D runner for two dollars less. I'm a huge Sonic fan but even that can't save this unfortunately. :(

6. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    I have to agree on this one. I bought it and it is definitely no different than a freemium runner! This doesn't really have much content to justify $2. If it had more levels and a way to select between them, then I think it would be worth paying upfront. Also, all of the power ups are definitely costly. It's model can be closely compared to Temple Run actually.

So, the only reason you should pay $2 is if you want to run AS Sonic. If you would rather be any other character, expect to pay a few dollars more.

ALSO, I find the controls to be a tad unresponsive in tight situations, and unfortunately, the game is filled with tight obstacles, and gaps to jump over where it doesn't register when you tap on those dang fish!

I love Sonic, but I am tiring of this already. Hope they update this to be more gamer friendly.

7. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    That's fine. We can agree to disagree. I guess the difference is that I don't feel like I need the IAP to play the complete game like in most freemium titles.

8. Jerutix

Jerutix Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    Been playing it. Definitely fun. I'll agree that it doesn't have much besides Sonic to separate it from freemium runners. Looks awesome and controls perfectly on iPhone 5.

What I would love to see in the future: 1) More locations. 2) A level mode [either three fixed stages (see Pitfall's Relic Rush mode) and a boss, or three procedurally generated levels (see Cubed Rally Redline's Rally mode) and a boss]. 3) Cheaper IAP - the game was already $2 to start.

9. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    I like all of those suggestions. It certainly seems like they could add some bosses in here.

10. iamPro

iamPro Active Member

May 20, 2009
    I keep dying when you have to jump from one platform to another.
    The game tells me to jump, which I do. But I always fall before I reach the other platform. And the fish with a target locked on it... What am I supposed to do??

Tapping on the fish does nothing. Am I supposed to land on the fish??

11. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    It sounds like you're jumping too early. Try jumping a bit later. Yes, you tap on the fish.

12. curtisrshideler

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Anyone else experiencing game freezes? After a run sometimes the first box pops up, but then nothing else happens! My score gets totaled, and then the game just freezes. I tap home button, then go back into Sonic Dash and its still frozen. I close completely out and reopen, then it starts from the beginning again. Very frustrating!

13. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Sorry, no freezes whatsoever.

14. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    I have lag but only on the very beginning of each run, after 4 seconds it dissapears. iPhone 4. As for the game, for me its far superior to my previous favorite: Agent Dash. Subway Surfers was dull and Temple Run 2 has way too much lag. Instead Sonic Run is fun, dont feel the need for IAP (but is expensive, 4$ for the coin doubler is too much for a paid app) and its fast. Bosses are needed, they could add some air smashing combos like with the fish but longer... my two cents.

15. sink_or_swim

sink_or_swim Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Germany
    Same here. Sonic Dash is much better then Sonic Jump, although it will be free in ~ 3 months, I don't regret that I paid $2 for it. This and Outland Games are my two favorite games this week.

16. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Actually, i just tap on the lower left corner... Im a lefty.

17. curtisrshideler

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Yeah, I get that too. Same here: iPhone 4 with iOS 6.

I have noticed that it happens more when I am quickly tapping to get through those end pop-ups.

18. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    After reading a few pages on here there seems to be a lot of hate on this .
    Back to subway surfers I guess

19. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Yeah it sounds like it's an incomplete game with a $2 entry fee.

I've played Subway Surfers to death... but this thread reminded me that maybe I should give Agent Dash more of a chance.

Maybe when they finally finish going freemium on this or have a free offer like Sonic Jump, I'll give it a try because I love those classic Sonic designs, sounds and stuff.. but right now as it stands it doesn't look worth my $2 over other games.

20. MrGreed

MrGreed Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2012
    This is the first endless runner that Ive seen that tries to emulate Subway Surfers swipe to enter different lanes concept

Most runners use tilt which i absolutely can not stand

But due to the lag on older devices (iPhone 4 here) and imprecise jumping in between platforms combined with the lack of zones/worlds and cheap placement of obstacles I think i am going to wait for this one to drop in price

I have yet to find a runner that competes with the silky smooth gameplay and controls of Subway Surfers and awesome looking graphics.

Can the Subway Surfers people release a new app already jeez?!

Does anyone know any other runners similar to Subway Surfers ive tried them all but they get boring (Surfers included) after a while.