Universal Sonic the Hedgehog 2: Remastered - (by SEGA)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Apr 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Axl Lowe

Axl Lowe Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Oh, Sega, when will you learn?

I'm guessing, never.

They can't make new Sonic games that we want and they keep rehashing their old stuff. Sonic 1-3 has been out on nearly every conceivable platform, from GBA to Xbox Live.

It saddens me that a once-great company such as Sega has to resort to this. They've been re-releasing their old games for probably decades.

2. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    Right with you here squarezero. Poor controls on the first will make me wait for this one. Other releases will keep me busy so I can definitely check out impressions on this one for sure.

3. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Sonic 4? That's pretty much a direct response to all the people who have been saying the exact same thing you just did.

4. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Yeah, great. It only took them 20 years to come up with a decent trailer (mind you no one has played the real thing, it's all promise for now).

In the same period of time, Nintendo has released countless successful Mario games: Mario 64, Mario Kart, New Super Mario Bros on the DS and on the Wii, etc.

5. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    That's a bit pricey for just one game....

Though I'm almost positive the App Store customers will eat this game up.

6. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    So? They've done it. The question was "Oh, Sega, when will you learn?", and it seems that the answer may well be "about now". It's no secret that Sega dropped the ball... for a long period of time, I dunno why it's under debate.

Anyway, you're judging a franchise based on the performance of another one. In that case we might as well ditch iPhone gaming, none of these games are gonna come close to hitting Sims popularity.

Plus I quite enjoyed Sonic Adventure 1 and 2. They were different and the other characters were pretty bad, but the Sonic/Shadow levels were thrilling. That gives them a two-game lead over the number of Mario games I enjoyed around that specific period of time.

7. DPRICE81

DPRICE81 Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2010
    gebn

I want to see toe jam n earl and double dragon ported to iphone

8. suddene

suddene Member

Mar 14, 2009
    yes it is a rom, just swapped the .bin with "Shining in the Darkness", "Shining Force" 1 and 2 and the app loaded right up and the games ran perfectly, even smoother than sonic 2. problem is the lack of a 2nd button, but there is a debugmenu.nib in there just needs to be enabled ( assumption) to modify the controls and add the buttons

9. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Oh ok, if you were just answering that question then you have a point, they finally seem to learn. Though as I said, no one will know for sure yet until Sonic 4 is released.

Who knows it'll involve more exploration like Sonic Adventure? Who knows the level design will be mediocre? That said, I'm very excited about Sonic 4 and have high expectations. But I can't forget the bitter taste they leave in my mouth, so I'm preparing myself for the worst as well in case it turns out to be a disappointment.

Another Sonic you must try is Sonic Rush on the DS. For me, it's the closest thing to the old Sonic. Hard to say, but you'll know what I mean when you play it.

10. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    @ MidianGTX:

On the other hand, the same question 'oh sega will you ever learn' can have a different twist if only applied in Appstore context. Sega has been pretty mediocre so far compared to other big publishers. They've showed zero effort despite being first on board with super monkey ball.

Will it take them 20 years to learn as well? :rolleyes:

11. elimcfly

elimcfly Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Playing it right now. It's got roughly the same setup as other emulator games by sega with the same main menu. You play as sonic with tails, no other options to play as diff characters. Also plays great in either full screen or a boxed in screen that says Sega Genesis underneath it. Full screen is by far the better option. Playing on a 2g Touch, it's awesome. The 1G it suffers when sound is on like most other emulators.

12. Axl Lowe

Axl Lowe Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    All of Sonic 4's content is already up on Youtube. You can find videos of every level, every feature, and I'm not terribly impressed. Some bosses are reused from previous games, and while Sonic 4 is likely to be a fun, shiny 2D Sonic game, it still does far less than even the Sonic Rush games did on DS as far as innovation and gameplay go. It's a bare-bones Sonic, heralded as the blue blur's second coming, but it doesn't even compare to Sonic 3 & Knuckles, in my humble opinion.

To me, Sega has lost all of its credibility. They need to keep outsourcing their Sonic games to Dimps, and just be entirely hands-off on the whole thing, because Dimps knows what they're doing, Sega doesn't. I know Sonic 4 was also developed by Dimps, but a hyped-up title like Sonic 4 has to have been considerably influenced by Sega, stifling Dimps' creative freedom and forcing them to create a bare-bones Sonic game.

13. CoNSpIrACyThEoRyS

Apr 11, 2010
  14. TheFamousEccles

TheFamousEccles Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Sega releasing anything before Shining Force is a blasphemy.

15. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    I remain optimistic nonetheless :) I played Sonic 3 recently and it's surprisingly bare bones itself really, I think a lot of the hate Sonic 4 will get is due to all the old gamers simply growing up. It's episodic isn't it? So all of the videos presumably are just the first episode... I guess that gives them a chance to improve as they go along.

16. elimcfly

elimcfly Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Now with 1 and 2 released and 4 on the way, I wonder if we'll get 3?

17. 5duc29

5duc29 Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    I want this.

The controls were never terrible for me. The only problem with the first one is "Sonic 1" on the icon title :p "Sonic 2 should be fine.

I do wish the the price would be a little lower, like $4.99.

18. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    Sonic 1 on the iPhone rocks! I can't wait to get Sonic 2!

19. bmn0210

bmn0210 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2010
    Another bare-bones emulator with still no way to import my own ROM without having to pay for it again? Not ****ing buying.

Whichever way you look at it, it's a total ripoff - it's not much different to selling an MP3 player that forces you to re-buy all your music and doesn't let you import any that you already have.