Sony confirms hackers have disrupted PSN

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by arta, Apr 23, 2011.

1. CaptainAwesome

CaptainAwesome Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Student
    The Island of Berk
    Hey, you've got something on your nose.

Anyway... There are some games on the PS3 that are subscription-based, like DC Universe Online. I imagine Sony will be compelled to answer for lost time in such cases. PS+ subscribers are probably in need of a little love for this incident, too. But otherwise, it's a free service. Sony doesn't owe you anything, as long as all your personal information is secure.

2. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    I don't think you're blowing him hard enough yet.

3. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    Wow. That seems so wrong out of context.

4. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    On top of PSN still being down they decided it was a good time to preview two playstation tablets which no doubt would be reliant on PSN to get games.

http://ca.kotaku.com/5795633/check-out-the-first-trailer-for-sonys-new-playstation-tablets

The interesting one is the S2 which in my opinion isn't a tablet at all it looks more like a DS with it's clamshell and two screens. I've always figured two screens was a pretty bad idea though unless you want the battery to drain twice as fast.

I think Sony has lost the plot to be honest but even after everything the NGP still looks appealing to me.

5. Donovan1209

Donovan1209 Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2010
    United States
    I hear they might fix everything else wrong with PSN (mostly) and that's why it's taking so long. Maybe we'll get cross-game voice chat? :eek:

6. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Sounds like some hackers just got owned. Sony are reportedly using the rebuilding of PSN to change the root key that was leaked and enabled PS3 hacking in the first place. Obviously they're also fixing the security hole at the same time.

If it genuinely was hackers that disrupted PSN and not just Sony making excuses... it looks like they've inadvertently just sent themselves back to square one and the PS3 is safe once more.

7. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland

I don't think that's even possible as the master key is hardcoded in the PS3 hardware it's my understanding that unless they can physically take back every ps3 sold and change chips in them it can't be done. There are other keys they can change but it's supposedly trivial for anyone with the master key to get them again.

Then again I'm no expert and might be completely wrong but I've definitely read a few times it was impossible.

Just for fun this is what I was talking about a page of posts ago

I've seen this rumour pop up so many times I think there has to be truth in it.

8. CaptainAwesome

Dec 22, 2009
    Student
    The Island of Berk
    #88 CaptainAwesome, Apr 26, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
    There are ways to do that while PSN is still up. They need to focus on just getting it up and running again.

9. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    HAHA lol

10. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

AHAHAHAHAH. Oh god this just keeps getting better.

11. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
  12. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
  13. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    I'm just glad I have never put my CC info on file hahaaha. Even if I did, it was a long time ago, and that card has long since been destroyed since my bank itself has security problems. Anyways, I will be getting Mortal Kombat for the PS3 Friday.

Can someone clarify if I can update the firmware on my PS3 even though PSN is down? Not a real big deal to me, I just haven't booted up my PS3 in months and there is bound to be several bytes worth of data to DL. lol. I doubt you can but thought I would check.

14. GnarKill

GnarKill Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2009
    UI Engineer
    Bay Area
    Actually I'm pretty sure you can since every time your Playstation goes to update it auto signs out, and I'm pretty sure I read earlier today someone stating that you can still update.

15. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
  16. Gamerl01

Gamerl01 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Cleaning restrooms at the local strip club
    Houston, Texas
    I meant playstation plus and i heard that they should fix it today or tomorrow

17. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    Yeah a co-worker said he thought he did while the PSN was down, but I just wanted to clarify. Thanks bro!

18. ShadowsFall

ShadowsFall Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Summer job soon
    TA 09'
    The longer PSN is down, the more Hodapp will reply to this thread. Keep it coming Sony!

19. CaptainAwesome

Dec 22, 2009
    Student
    The Island of Berk
    #100 CaptainAwesome, Apr 26, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
    My favorite thing about the FAQ that arta posted is the first question. They've given themselves a three-day window as to when they found out they were getting hacked, as if they couldn't pinpoint when they actually said "oh, crap, we just got hax0rd."

It's probably just that they were investigating the depth of the intrusion in that time space, but humorous nonetheless.

Hopefully their investigation allows them to find who did this and get rid of the lost information. It would be unfortunate for the company's credibility if they were unable to do so.