Sony confirms hackers have disrupted PSN

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by arta, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    Everyone knows this is just a retaliation hack from the haxx0rs Sony was sueing. lmfao I doubt any drastic info will be compromised really.

2. Paradiso

Paradiso Well-Known Member

According to Pocket God's Dave Cazz, someone racked up $2000 in credit card charges from his account. Not sure if he's being serious, but I sure hope not.

3. Outkast1

Outkast1 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    California
    I haven't read this whole thread... But to the kiddies thinking you will get something free off Sony for this mishap- you guys ate just dumb.

Food for thought: if u live in the good ol' US of A any fraudulent charges on a credit card are insured. If your ATM/debit card are on file that's up to your bank but cc's are federally insured.

4. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Yeah knowing Sony I can't see PSN compensating anyone they probably have it all covered with small print in their TOS I think people will be lucky if it's still free when it comes back. Knowing Sony it wouldn't suprise me at all if they used this chance to change it to a paid service.

Wonder if they regret trying to take GeoHot to court or removing the otheros function yet.

The main reason I would never buy one of their new tablets is I can see them doing crazyness like removing android at some point it sounds like a joke but you really just can't trust them.

5. Hmar9333

Hmar9333 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/26/update-on-playstation-network-and-qriocity/

"Although we are still investigating the details of this incident, we believe that an unauthorized person has obtained the following information that you provided: name, address (city, state, zip), country, email address, birthdate, PlayStation Network/Qriocity password and login, and handle/PSN online ID. It is also possible that your profile data, including purchase history and billing address (city, state, zip), and your PlayStation Network/Qriocity password security answers may have been obtained. If you have authorized a sub-account for your dependent, the same data with respect to your dependent may have been obtained. While there is no evidence at this time that credit card data was taken, we cannot rule out the possibility. If you have provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity, out of an abundance of caution we are advising you that your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may have been obtained."

lol?

6. LBG

LBG SeƱor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    #106 LBG, Apr 27, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
    edit - damn you beat me to it (and I won't be loling if my debit card info gets robbed).

Apparently the hacker(s) have access to the following information:

Name
    Shipping address
    Billing address
    Country
    E-mail address
    Birthdate
    PSN/Qriocity ID
    PSN/Qriocity password
    PSN/Qriocity security question and answer
    Purchase history

And Sony says it's possible that credit card numbers and expiration dates may have been obtained.

"Some services" are expected to be restored within a week.

Full FAQ: http://us.playstation.com/support/answer/index.htm?a_id=2356

7. Restodrood

Restodrood Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Just got an email from Hulu Plus apologizing for PSN being down and gave me a free week of credit :D

8. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    I don't see what's so ridiculous about the odds of Sony giving some kind of apology gift because of all this. Sure, they don't have to, but I'd bet money that there will be some sort of compensation so they can recover some of the lost reputation.

9. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Well before I said they wouldn't/shouldn't compensate the gamers, but now that I've learned that pretty much all my personal details up to and including my credit card info has been compromised well ya, they should do SOMETHING!

I'm guessing because PSN is free they also skimpped on security or didn't pay too much for it. Pretty weaksauce if you ask me..

10. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    I heard a pretty good analysis from a security interview "network security has to get it right all the time. Hackers only have to get it right once."

Sony knew/knows what's at stake. Skimping on security because it's free is a wasted excuse, and they know that. The bottom line is that any system connected to the Internet is not 100 % secure. And the more access, the better chance that security can get bypassed.

11. Donovan1209

Donovan1209 Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2010
    United States
    #111 Donovan1209, Apr 28, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
    What I've heard is that it's the 128 bit encryption, which I believe is supposed to be really difficult to hack... so these guys are probably hardcore. The fact that they might have all of this info is no laughing matter.

Meanwhile... Phishing scams on XBL in MW2.

Edit:
    So that means they had the CC info encrypted, but not the personal info.

Another video:

12. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Wow, sound like a pretty hardcore attack! Well, should we start taking bets on whether or not they catch who's responsible???

13. Donovan1209

Jan 28, 2010
    United States
    #113 Donovan1209, Apr 28, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
    Sony obviously knows they took the personal info, they otherwise wouldn't come out and say the worst possible thing. But our credit card info, they probably really have no idea.

My main problem is they're hiding info form us, stuff happens, hacking happens, but they need to tell the full story...

Off topic: Obama showed his birth certificate :p

14. MystikSun

MystikSun Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    It's God.

...Or that 19 year old. A hardcore 19 year old.

15. Donovan1209

Jan 28, 2010
    United States
    I love listening to the rumors my friends here. Such as, I here some guy named Geohotz (Pronounced Jew-hot) hacked PSN and it's not working. Lol, that just shows how he has no idea.

16. MystikSun

MystikSun Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Everyone knows that Geohot just hacked the PS3, not the network itself xDD Why would anyone believe in such a thing? :p

17. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Emails went out today.

[​IMG]

18. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    They appreciate your goodwill.

19. Donovan1209

Jan 28, 2010
    United States
    I think he was catching up and putting puzzle pieces that don't fit together, together.

Great, they should have told us earlier though...

Anyway, this might be from IGN (since they have quite a bit of hate) but it's pretty funny

http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/04/27/game-scoop-tv-why-the-psn-is-down

20. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    I have been slowly switching to using a password app for logons, etc. I think I'm switching 100%. A bit more of a pain for devices that I don't have 1 Password installed, but with the ability to generate random passwords for every different site, seems like a good idea. ( did not mean to make this sound like an ad, but don't know a better way to put it).