Universal Sorcery 3 (by inkle)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    #101 Aventador, Apr 25, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
    Aurelius

About Sun serpent :
    you get option to trow it in water serpent mouth once you encounter it on lake , which instantly kills Water serpent and feels very satisfactory considering that Water and Fire serpent have some kind of relationship going on for them; think Fenestra talks about that )

About meeting an old friend and losing item in process :
    if you manage to meet Flanker, you will lose legendary sword, however don't worry as you can get it soon by sleeping in ferryman hut near end of bridge.

2. darez

darez Member

Mar 18, 2015
    In the Kariamma village tunnels, is it possible to
    keep the horn unbroken?

3. Aurelius

Aurelius Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Not that we know of.

4. ednan

ednan Well-Known Member

By magic for casting teleportation you mean the one which you need the green ring? Or do you mean the beacons? Either way, the answer is no.

On another topic, I noticed that this is the app that consumes the most battery of any app I ever used, and this includes the likes of IB series, Monster Hunter etc.

5. Kall

Kall Member

Apr 24, 2015
    #105 Kall, Apr 25, 2015

6. Kall

Kall Member

Apr 24, 2015
    #106 Kall, Apr 25, 2015
    You can learn a bunch of counter spells by casting spells at the bridge toll keeper at the top of the mountain south of Kariamma when you point a beacon there to turn it to past time. Whatever you cast at him, he'll counter and you'll learn, so you can just repeatedly cast all the spells that are available there.

7. Le_Lapin_Noir

Le_Lapin_Noir Member

Apr 23, 2015
    Regarding a certain old friend...

After talking to Flanker on the bridge (and losing my Legendary Sword) at the very end after you've crossed the lake and are walking to Mampang you'll find that he's left his sword (+4) with a note for you.

8. Aurelius

Aurelius Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Somebody said that you can find your own legendary sword in a ferryman hut. I wonder if that means that you can have both a legendary sword (get your own one back) and flankers sword.

9. Cheezzhead

Cheezzhead Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2015
    #109 Cheezzhead, Apr 25, 2015
    Thanks, I've added them! I've continued the list on a separate google document since it became a little too long for a post. Feel free to suggest edits and whatnot:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iFhkEHUfEtyuj5YtD7hcguSaUvCMrRgbmvNTkFugMUw/edit?usp=sharing

I'll add the counterspells as soon as I can (don't know them by heart).

Cool! I always wanted to meet
    Flanker
    in an actual playthrough but it was never viable because of the downside. Definitely gonna do this now.

10. darez

darez Member

Mar 18, 2015
    where is the person that can restore your reduced max stamina from sorcery 2? I've just passed thru kariamma village. Did I miss it?

11. pendell

pendell Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2015
    #111 pendell, Apr 25, 2015
    You have to arrive at night.
    Go to the fire, sit around and talk to people until you're dragged into an arena fight, win the fight, and only then will you be able to speak to the village shaman. He will give you what you need.

Cheezhead:
    Well, on the next walkthrough

I killed it rather than leaving it imprisoned. Took the orb, threw it in the lake,
    then slice-and-dice..

I found a solution to our boy robber.

Evidently he meets you in the Pit in past-time at a limited number of points,
    seemingly the first time you arrive at one.

I arranged to encounter him just north of the fishtail rock by the whirlpool.

He had a message for me from the hermit, but in previous playthroughs he came up
    on me through the cliffs anyway. Then he prepares to jump down, and will
    be sucked into the whirlpool to die.

If you're feeling kind, a quick application of HUF with the foghorn will save his life.
    He will thank you and not rob you... at least if he was bringing you a message. If
    you're feeling cruel, just let him make his jump out of the game.

Oh! The most amazing thing! I encountered the mother of the arch-mage, the
    villain of all four books, *while she was pregnant with him*!

This was at the northwest cliff in the desert to the north of the pit. Illuminated
    the carving there with a beacon to find the "god" of peace. While in that spot,
    I encountered the woman I had previously seen building idols in the pit -- presumably
    she was much older at our first encounter.

Anyway, the being here told me she was pregnant with the archmage and suggested I kill
    her to prevent his destruction of the Baklands and theft of the crown of kings. I didn't.

Why not?

Because it was similar reasoning that caused Sansa to curse his nobles and bring in a goblin
    horde to destroy his own city in book 2, and it was just that thinking why the archmage
    destroyed the Baklands and stole the crown in the first place -- to prevent a future where
    my character killed him. He had foreseen this, and I believe he is a good man. Everything
    he has done he has done to prevent some dark and terrible future from unfolding.

I tried to rewind to see what would have happened on the alternate path. but nothing doing;
    the game forced me down the first path , so I'll have to wait for another playthrough to
    find out what would have happened
    If I'd attempted to carve her up like a
    Christmas roast

There's a fairly deep philosophical point here, and it tells us something *very important*
    about the nature of time in this game. Because at this same spot I was told that my own
    death was fated to happen

At the hands of the Serpent of Time, in the island in the middle of the lake.

But of course we know this future did not come to pass; my character survived and travelled
    on to Mampang.

Y'know what that means? It means ***the foreseen future can be changed***. The terrible events
    the Farseers see do not always come true even when all parties concerned are acting in complete
    ignorance of the original prophecy Which means that all those characters who harmed
    innocents in all three books in the hope of preventing a terrible future were wrong
    to do so. If anything, evildoing in the hopes of averting a prophecy seems to make
    it all the more certain.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

12. Cheezzhead

Cheezzhead Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2015
    One footnote:
    That's not in Kariamma, but at the Klattaman village. Kariamma is the small town in the northwest section of the map.

The boy robber certainly is a mystery; sometimes he shows up and sometimes he doesn't. Depends on the time of day, I suppose. When I first encountered
    the boy at the whirlpool, I was under the impression it was another person. Still not sure though; the game only ever describes both of them as 'boys' with no further distinctions.
    Either way it's fairly easy to avoid the robber.

Yes! That was my favorite encounter of the entire game.

I didn't do it either, mostly because I thought he was lying; even in the past, the archmage was already a known person and leader of Mampang.

Having said that though, there are several references that the past lands are not all the 'same' past - You can find Elthera both as a young girl and an old woman; Bria can be found in two different states as well. And as you mentioned, the pregnant woman can be found somewhere else in a very not-pregnant state. So who knows?

I did come back to the encounter in another game and went for the other option. Interesting outcome, but I won't spoil anything :D

Very true. Interesting notion about the TIme Serpent, though. I remember a moment in Sorcery! 2 where
    when you ask the God Courga what your fate holds in the Baklands, he will initially say that you have none because you don't know the full spell-line. But then he stops short and says 'there may be another way for you' - obviously referencing the timejump that occurs at the North Gate. This event gave me the impression that the Gods' powers of prediction transcended the whole timetravelling business. So what makes the Time Serpent different from the Lorag's timetravel magic?

But back to the God's offer; I see a very direct comparison to the archmage himself. In this game, we hear from various sources that the Archmage grew fearful and, eventually, paranoid because his farseers predicted an Alander (you) coming to kill him. His paranoia, in turn, led him to curse Ishtara into its current state and (more importantly) steal the Crown of Kings - the very act of which sent you after him. It's not an uncommon trope in time-travelling stories: 'attempting to avoid a future that you know will happen, will eventually make that very future come to pass'. Now, then, a God persuading you to kill somebody to avoid a certain future sounds eerily familiar.

13. pendell

Jan 2, 2015
    #113 pendell, Apr 26, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
    Well, I was wrong about the boy-robber; He showed up again after the whirlpool and nicked my gold-backed mirror. I was also knicked by another creature at the whirlpool, who got my black facemask.

*Sigh*

New plan: If I have to return to this area I'll warp into the beacon and shine the beacon on the green land, returning it to its desert state. THEN I will traverse it and do what I have to do.

Edit: oh, yes, I found a solution to the problem of meeting an old friend and losing an item.

After meeting Flanker, I travelled east to stay in Aliazi's hut for the night. To my astonishment, my sword was just sitting there, plain as day!

Evidently Aliazi was walking through the forest and saw the sword sitting there, abandoned, so she took it home with her. She meant no harm and considering how much stuff *I* have picked up over the course of an adventure that was just lying about, I have no cause to condemn her.

I hope Flanker didn't kill her in the alternate path where we recover it on the shores of the lake.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

14. Aurelius

Aurelius Member

Jan 27, 2014
    As I wrote before. It seems to be a random event. You can reload your last waypoint and then go there again. In something like 8 of 10 times the boy appears, but sometimes it just gives you one sentence and the button "Move along".

15. IndyJohn

IndyJohn Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2014
    Sorcery 4 Prediction ....

You are the Archmage

16. pendell

Jan 2, 2015
    I don't think you have to spoiler predictions that have no plot data.

At any rate, I don't think the prediction is the case;

We meet the Archmage's mother in distant past, and if I understand correctly our hero DOES remember his/her birth and upbringing in Analand in present time. So they can't be the same person.

That wouldn't stop our hero from BECOMING the next archmage, of course.

I'm guessing that in the final game we'll have a pair of options: Destroying the Crown or wearing it, and taking the Archmage's place. At this point I'm all for the first; so far as I can tell the Crown has brought nothing but ruin and trouble to these lands. Besides which, I don't like the idea of any single human having such ability, lest they go MAD WITH POWA.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

17. XSStudio

XSStudio Member

Apr 25, 2015
    Member of TouchArcade
    Not Mars, of course.
    #117 XSStudio, Apr 26, 2015
    In these days, only
    girls
    could get married, how sad... :\ Thx for the tip, though!

18. Kall

Kall Member

Apr 24, 2015
    #118 Kall, Apr 26, 2015
    Klattaman shaman

I don't think you necessarily need to have gotten your stamina reduced in Khare to get a +Stamina benefit from him. I got through Khare with 20 Stamina, and the Klattaman shaman still gave me a +1 bonus. So my S3 play through had:

+1 Nightfin Soup - you show the cook in Kariamma the scroll from the Flayer's hut in Khare, then return at night to eat the soup
    +1 Klattaman shaman bonus - after beating the Klattaman champion in the village, have to sit by the fire at night
    +4 TUF spell - you need the yellow feather from going through the tunnel month of Kariamma. Then you talk to the robed figures at the stone circle in current time. Then you go away and shine the tower light on the stone circle, come back and cast the TUF spell at the stone circle, at night.

I remember the robed guys' chant was a bad thing in the original S3 book, because "Arbil Madarbil" is "Libra Dam Libra" backwards and you'd get tricked to forsaking Libra. But following Courga or someone else in the new game, I guess it's without bad consequence.

19. cstad

cstad Member

Dec 13, 2013
    Well crap! Second completion - 20 days.... I shaved off exactly one day from my first attempt. Ended this one with rations and gold, though, so that was an improvement.

Found another way to get an oak staff - go to the upper right island in the lake during Ancient Time. In the center, instead of a hostage, there'll be a young oak tree. Try to climb the tree and you'll break off a branch. I think you need the axe, though, as my sword " wasn't sharp enough" to whittle the branch into a staff.

20. Jbayan

Jbayan Member

Apr 26, 2015
    Oh boy is this game amazing.

Probably just gunna spoiler everything in this post since I'll be writing a lot.

For anyone having trouble on any serpents I'll write a short and simple way to kill them all:
    Air Serpent: I just used HUF on him when I ran into him at the lake
    Water Serpent: I got oil from fenestra in the forest during the present time, as well as the sun serpent orb.
    Fire Serpent: I haven't run into him but once, and you can simply kill him with sand and brute force in the northern part of the first area west of Kariamma
    Sun Serpent: Threw the orb into the water then killed it with brute force simply
    Moon Serpent: I ran into this guy at tinpang although from what I've read you can run into him at the bridge, he was easy to kill if you simply light a tinderbox
    and probably what everyones wanting to know.
    Time Serpent: This guy was a real pain in my ass, I didn't realise that I died the first time around at the forest and when I faced him I was incredibly confused as to why I couldn't do anything about him. DO NOT TALK TO THE CULTISTS SOUTH OF THE SWAMP, IF YOU DO IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO KILL HIM, WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO IS IGNORE THEM COMPLETELY, TALK TO THE MARSH GOBLINS USING THE GREEN WIG, RETRIEVE THEIR PARCHMENT. TALK TO LORAG GIVE HIM THE NOTE. He'll return to you shortly with more information but what hes saying is you have to shine 3 lights onto the island which the time serpent is on, the bottom left one. then go simply kill him while hes petrified (which he will be under the 3 lights)
    (also you can get dice by playing swindlestones with a girl underneath a tree in the present time period)
    I never ran into flanker because I never gave up anything to the troll and instead climbed the pillar from the forest below the bridge after shining the light on it.

Now I'll talk about all of the magical items I've obtained sold and bought and everything I know about this game thus far.

1.First item you'll probably get is the horn from shadrack in the gave to the east of the very beginning. Which allows you to cast HUF
    2. If you go south east of the cave, you can climb the mountain and talk to a sorcerer in her hut, (the berries aren't poisonous feel free to take them the wood golems a little troll) talk to her with the correct sequence of phrases and words and she'll give you the green ring which you can use to cast ZIP
    3. Many items can be gotten from the dark elf camp north of the 2nd tower you get to. The pearl ring which allows you to cast YAZ the invisibility spell, the bronze pendelum which allows you to cast NAP, and the 3rd item which I can't remember, you can also use the pendelum to make the shopkeeper fall asleep and steal 2 items.
    4. you can get holy water from a shack directly between the bridge and forest tower, and buy it from the dark elves, you can get it somewhere else but I forget where.
    5. you can get a rock demon tooth from multiple places, tinpang you can buy multiple and you get one randomly if you choose so from one of the first 2 areas.

and finally just random important things

You can get the time serpents weakness parchment from the marsh goblins if you have the green haired wig. just talk to them and demand it and tell them you're a sorcerer.
    You can get the sun serpent orb from fenestra in the forest by talking to her in correct sequences.
    You can get the staff of oak sapling from the gnome-girl thing who I've encountered in different places, but only before the large bridge.