Universal Sorcery! - (by inkle)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, May 1, 2013.

1. Breach

Breach New Member

May 29, 2015
    Earring?

Going through the save file I found one can find an earring. It can be used in Sorcery 2/3 and dialog says it's picked up in the Pfilfer grass in 1. Try as I may I haven't been able to get it officially - I always get the damn locket + bamboo flute or red flower. Did anyone manage to find the earring in a legit way?

2. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    #322 klink, Aug 3, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
    Recently I bought the Sorcery! trilogy. Last night I reached the end of Sorcery and it seems like I've only played it for a few hours. Am I doing something wrong? Maybe I used the reverse feature too much. I'm confused because I was expecting a much longer experience. I'm new to this style of games so any advice is appreciated.

3. Kaboobie

Kaboobie Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2015
    The first game is short. I promise you, the next two games are longer and provide a great deal more replay value.

4. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    Thanks. I really liked it, I was just surprised there wasn't more. Onwards to the next book. #

5. blizeH

blizeH Member

May 19, 2011
    Kinda stuck... Managed to get to the Manticore but never with more than 8 stamina, I have to use my prayer to get past the snakes and Jann prevents me from casting any spells :(

Don't really want to go back too far if I can help it, and don't want to kill Jann either - any suggestions please? Thanks!

6. Infinity89

Infinity89 Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2013
    I know this is an old thread but I'm playing it again and was wondering if there's a guide or something so I can get maximum things.

7. Analander

Analander Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2014
  8. Etherbreather

Etherbreather Active Member

Jul 9, 2015
    #328 Etherbreather, Sep 10, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
    Snake Belly Key

I have seen a "snake belly key" referenced, but is it inside the giant serpent in the long grass just outside the gate in Sorcery 1? I only found 3 goldpieces in the belly of the beast :/

Ah, despair snake in 3rd game. Check.

9. Larni

Larni Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2013
    #329 Larni, Sep 23, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
    Disable Twitter

Can anyone tell me where the option to turn off Twitter is?

Settings just has options to buy more books, reset to prologue etc.

Anyone?

10. The_Sorceress

The_Sorceress Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2016

It is in the central iPhone settings menu. Open it from the home screen, and scroll down to app settings. Sorcery is in there.

11. Larni

Larni Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2013
  12. tekchic

tekchic Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2009
    Female
    Software Developer
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'm really enjoying this one -- and plan to work my way through 4.

Is there any sort of cloud save so I can switch between devices? I'm playing on my big iPad Pro, but it's tempting to get a few turns of play in between breaks at work. :)

13. Kaboobie

Apr 28, 2015
    You can't save to the cloud in the middle of a game, but once you finish a game you will get a save code to input into the next one.

14. Kaboobie

Apr 28, 2015
    #334 Kaboobie, Dec 21, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
    New Game Plus

A new gameplay mode has been introduced for those who have completed all four games!

http://www.inklestudios.com/2016/12/22/the-adventures-begin-again.html

I will list things I found that are different the second time through, and others should feel free to add. I'll include spoiler tags for anyone who is still on the first playthrough.

1. You can choose to play in no-rewind mode
    2. You only get 12 gold from the Sergeant
    3. You can't take the spellbook with you
    4. If you go to Daddu-Ley, Libra recognizes you and gives you a few clues, plus you get a clue to escape the manticore encounter after casting TOP
    5. The first person you meet in Cantopani wears a skullcap, which you can haggle for
    6. Getting the skullcap allows you to cast TEL on the goblin in the mines, and with the right dialogue choices you can get a ring of green metal
    7. You can only recover 18 max stamina by the end (if anyone has managed to get back to 20, please let me know)

ETA: Found out about another magical item you can get, which is important in S2 if you want to visit a previously inaccessible area!

15. space20021

space20021 New Member

Jun 27, 2015
    #335 space20021, Feb 7, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
    Awesome, thank you for sharing this! I only got back to 18 as well.
    For other people who see this, the dialogue choice in the mines is:
    I bring message from Archmage -> Invasion is cancelled -> Very good

16. Kaboobie

Apr 28, 2015
    I forgot to come back and add another new item in Game +1 mode. If you beat the Sightmaster Sergeant in combat without taking any damage,
    he will give you a jeweled medallion
    . No huge advantage in this game, although you can
    avoid a fall in the Goblin mines if you go deeper in
    . In S2
    you can use it to get off Vik's ship without swimming and ruining your paper items

17. Andyzero

Andyzero Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2017
    Cheat Walkthrough 1 of 3

Welcome to the Cheat Full Story Walkthrough. Why do I cheat? I've beaten the game normally, whether you believe me or not, but I like seeing all variations of the game in one playthrough. The Sorcery series specifically requires one to play multiple times to know exactly what's going on with Lorag, Sansas, the Goblins, Aliisi, the Baklands, the Beacons, the Archmage, etc. A lot of my priorities are personal taste to see the story, or how I roleplay the character.

I save spam Steam. My Steam Save folder is at C:\Users\MyName\AppData\Local\inkle\Sorcery, you can also CTR-S and CTR-O, but be sure to title the saves with the suffix .json.

Steam saves the last 5 actions you make. Including combat, swindlestones, and dialogue. I'll do stuff because I can, because it's interesting, and I'll teleport. If you exitedit a SAVE file, at the very beginning it will give a "WayPointIndex" number, that's basically location, you can change it to previous locations, but only if there's a Flag opened that you can move it to. A lot of inventory items in the file require TRUE or FALSE.

This is a New Game Plus +3 Merciless Run. We're going to be playing a "virtuous" run, but if I can figure out a way to make an evil person attack me so I'm defending myself, I'm not opposed to this.

Opening game, playing Merciless. Fast Travel trick isn't necessary because its different in the first two games. I hack in gold and the spellbook.

Greet the Sergeant. Refuse gold, I've got plenty. Go to rations, Buy six rations. In New Game+, you don't take a spell book, but I have it anyways. Go train with the Sergeant. Perfect fight, get a Jeweled Medallion that you can cast ZEN with.

I block my first round, Sergeant did a 4.7 attack, I close the game immediately before it saves, open it again and do a 4.7 attack. You can't tie with someone in Sorcery, this time Sergeant does a 4.6 attack. If I wasn't fast enough, I would have gone to the Steam Save file and erased the last entry, taking me to the previous round of the fight. Doing this, I beat him easily.

The gate. Cast DOP. (Evil Mode, cast HOT, or cast ZOB in New Game+)

If I overtake the previous person they sent, then he is too slow. Apparently he was "transformed." Out the gate, I keep walking. I get poisoned by the air, it's worse the more New Game Plus you have.

This is the first fork in the road. This save is special, and I put a copy in a special folder in case I screw things up. I make a CTR-S save, the waypoint here is 13. I think the numbers change each game, so you have to check each time.

We go cross country. Look back and wave. Keep going. There is another fork here, saving the Waypoint. travelling towards the river, you fall down the cliff. Cast ZEN. Talk to the Elvin, they hate the King of Analand; and will attack.

Beat one, and you'll be bushwacked. Captured by the Elvin. Wait to see what they do. They'll be mad you killed one, no matter what you say, and steal your food and provisions. (I have tried every variation of that encounter, they attack no matter what.)

So I hack my food and gold back, go back to before I met the Elvins. This time, I'm going into the long grass. Something is coming. Casting HOT burns down the field, don't do that. (The game will remember this) SUS tells me a Serpent (not one of the Seven) is coming. WAL makes the serpent get dizzy, I have the option to run. best pre-battle spell would be DOZ, which slows it down. Kill it, searching it gives money but burns you with stomach acid. Through the field, you get lost. Follow the rising ground to go back. (In New Game++, this must be done to afford things in Cantopani)

We head back. Before Cantopani, I save my Waypoint file. We avoid Cantopani and Investigate Daddu-Ley. Examine the rock, and jump off. Cast fAL or ZEN. Examine the glyph. P Examine the left cave. Examine the Boulder. Roll the Boulder moss side downwards. Examine the markings, you get a poem, which basically says go into the Left Cave. The glyph in here is O. (If you took the right cave, the glyph is A, which is wrong.) Keep going. Examine the walls twice, lift the stone. Poem says cast FOG. Do so, see Glyph. T. TOP. Now, you don't need to do this to cast TOP later, but for some reason the game Flags whether you did or not. (You can officially learn the spell TOP in the cell you teleport to after the Vault in S4)

Leave. Meet the Woman by the shore. This is Libra. Goddess of Freedom...wait, no. That was the books. Goddess of "Justice" and the reason you can rewind the first time you play. In the first playthrough, she'll be really cryptic. Tell her you like danger does...something. In New Game+, she'll break the fourth wall a lottell you need to listen in Schanker Mine, but you can't now. (Because you had to go through Cantopani, but I can because I can cheat.) She'll also tell you to find Throben. (This will be in Sorcery 2) She'll give you one of her hairs. Use it to cast TOP, one of the games secret spells. (You can cast it in Sorcery 4 too.)

18. Andyzero

Jan 19, 2017
    #338 Andyzero, Apr 24, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
    Cheat Walkthrough 2 of 3.

But I'm going to cheat back to before Cantopani now.

Go through the village. New Game Plus, buy the Skullcap from the first man who talks to you, haggle it to 1. If you cast SIX, you freak him out and he drops it and runs away. But you won't be able to go to the equipment store.

Go to the store. Buy everything except the broadsword and the jewel, there's better weapons, and the jewel is fake. Fun fact, the ape teeth can be sold all together for 60 gold at the dentist in Timpang in Sorcery 3. (Even with cheating, you can't buy everything. The guy will stop after you've bought everything except 2 items.)

You will be attacked by bandits on the way out. Either JIG them away, or in New Game+ TEL to tell them to leave in peace. If you do fight, let the second one go for max HONOUR. (This effects which Animal Spirit you have. The game has multiple values on your HONOUR, HASTE, CONFIDENCE, etc. and this has various effects to dialogue.

Another Fork in the Road, talk to the old man in the tree, help him down. This is likely the previous person sent by Analand to get the crown, the page he has was taken from Gaza Moon who we will meet later this game. She cursed him with 120 years of age. Climb the tree and cast BIG to get rid of the bees.

We're at a Waypoint. Save the point and go to the Low Path. Make camp and listen by the river, it's those Elvin. This time we're not being insulted. Say you are a friend, a friend to the Elvin. If you go along with them...they'll capture you, and steal your food. (entertain them by casting SIX, DUD or ) Proving they're a-holes no matter what you do. So instead, turn back as soon as possibly, and tell them you want to give them something as an excuse. Give them 1 gold coin.

There's another fork in the road ahead. Save the waypoint. Cross the bridge, pick a red flower. You can either give this flower to Alianni as a gift, or use it in a potion in the past of Sorcery 3 to heal 4 hp points. Keep walking, it's a trap. Jump clear. But you hear another click, and the ONLY way out is to step back into the pittrap.

Look around, you are captured by headhunters. Pray for aid (this won't be an option if it is tired from healing you_, and just before you are cooked, your Spirit will cause it to rain; putting out the fire. Grab your belongings. Go uphill, and you'll go just before Kristatanti after the Goblin Mine, and deal with a Skunkbear. Go downhill, and you will run into a bunch of Elvins throwing crap at you. We'll deal with both later.

Waypoint hacking the game to after we avoided the Elvins in the river.

Go into the elvin village. The other way is just pilfer grass. We'll get the Locket here, but lose a lot of other stuff; and there's a better way to get the Locket. Supposedly you were supposed to be able to find a silver earring in the Pilfer Grass, but it wasn't never implemented. Avoid the village center, that's the bonfire and we'll just get captured. Search the houses. It's time to loot! Red Doorway has two chests in it. Right box has some coins, a key, and a scorpion. Grab the key, coins really aren't worth it. Left box has an evil spirit called Mananka. Avoid its curse with mAG or just don't open the chest. Next is the green doorway. Go in, listen to the music, play the pipe for some healing. (you'd better have the pipe if you do this.) Next, the brown doorway. There's a living wolfhound skin rug that will attack you. YOB will kill the hound right away. Take its jewelled collar. This can be used to make a Jewelled Medallion in Sorcery 3, but there are better ways to do this. Leave the village.

Go to the bridge. Test it. Talk to the man who runs up, pay his 1 gold toll. This will be funny later. Move on, it's the Elvins throwing acorns at you. They do this no matter how you treated them. Walk through it to be damaged. WAL and WOK stop the throwing, but the spell cost damages you worse than the acorns. You can ZAP them and the tree they're in to kingdom come, and interestingly, this does not count as murder. (Because the Murder flag doesn't become a thing until Sorcery 2) Costs 3 HP nevertheless. Technically, the 0 HP to get past is ZIP with the Green Metal Ring. (I don't think there's any way to HAVE the Green Metal Ring at this point.)

Let's go back to the intersection with the old man and the bee hive using hacking. Now we're taking the High Path. Make camp, and get attacked by a bat. Cast JIG to make it go away. There's a fork in the road, but the Left is the Headhunters and we've done that. So we go Right. Follow the sound, watch them work, slip into the cave. Hack a waypoint location at the beginning of the cave.

Go Left. Talk to the Goblin. Normally, you fight him and get a silver key from his body. This silver key unlocks the door to the right, it can be given to Sirisi in Sorcery 2 as "crossing her palm with silver" and it counts to unlock the GOB Tower in Sorcery 4 since "Goblins all use the same key." In New Game+, however, to follow the "extra" plot cast TEL, say you're from the Archmage. Tell him the invasion is called off. (they're gonna do their thing anyways in Sorcery 2" and that everythings good. He'll drop the Green Metal Ring; to be used in the Stone House in Sorcery 2 as the next part of the New Game+ side plot.) Search for the ring and go onwards into the mine. Push on ahead when everything collapse and cast fAL (or ZEN) Bottom of the pit, pick up the object. Outside you'll find it's a pair of Borrinskin boots. Which do NOTHING as near as I can tell in any of the books except trading them with a birdman guard in S4. Supposedly they make your footsteps silent. Now let's hack back to the entrance of the Goblin Cave.

19. Andyzero

Jan 19, 2017
    Cheat Walkthrough 3 of 3

Now we're going right. Either use the Silver Key on the door or cast DOP. Watch the ogre work. Approach him, cast dIM, and fight. During the Swindlestone match with the old man in the prison in S2, he'll tell you this ogre took his arm. You can tell him you killed this Ogre, he'll grumble they'll just grow another. Try the machine, search the table, search the cornersof the room for two 10 gp gems.

Head back out the entrance. Go to the bridge. It's a perfectly fine bridge, but you don't want to cross it. Find another way at the cost of one HP, cross the stones, pick up the glinting object. It's a locket we can give to Cartoum the chief guard all the way in S4. Much better getting it here instead of the pilfer grass.

Keep walking and you'll hear a twig breaking. It's a Skunkbear! If you want to get past without a fight, edge around to the left. If you screw this up, you can still cast SIX to get away. LAW is inefficient,
    or cast SAP and fight it and kill it.

Approaching Kirstantanti, look at people, go to the alehouse, greet the owner, talk to the oldest man, don't hide anything, don't be a dick. Let him buy you a drink, keep talking to him. He'll give you a Bomba Fruit, a meal that heals more than usual.

Now, because I've been cheating, we can go to the inn for a special scene. Remember that toll keeper I gave a gold coin to? Go to the inn. (Sleeping outside may lead to a fight with a wolf. Throw a stick into the woods to avoid the fight) Say you are a traveller. Say you need to eat first. Try to remember where you say the man. It was from today. The bridge! Ask him about it, and tell his wife he charged you a toll. He'll say unconvincingly it is his twin brother. Admit you could be mistaken, and ask where his twin brother is. It sounds interesting! Innkeeper and her husband have fight. Finish your meal, go to sleep, meet the innkeeper's identical brother. Tell him his brother has left after his wife, and sleep.

Before Kristantanti, save the Waypoint Value.

Go between the buildings, look at him, ask him what happened, throw him a coin. Take the key, it will open the Red Eye Prison in S2. Go straight on.

Look over the Gate. L K. The Lia-Ki ruins. Go through. This is where Glandragor's party (Vik, the one-armed man in prison in S2, "Blanca", and possibly Vangorn) abandoned him to die.

Investigate the ruins for flavor and the street. Climb. You'll be given a choice of two caves, if you pick left, you can go into the right cave afterIF you want to fight the toughest fight in Sorcery 1.

Go in the lefthand cave. Leave the stool alone, you pick it up temporarily, then put it down. Oddly it's in the game as an inventory item. Take the net. Look at the skull. Examine the teeth. Take them. Go through the righthand cave. Cast BIG or YOB, fight the giant. Perfect fighting this is veryhard, even with cheating. The Giant sometimes flat out Attack Powers you, and you can't FOF or WOK cheese him. Search the body, examine the body, examine his mouth, take his teeth, search the cave, eat some bread. Leave. Prepare to hack back to after talking to the Beggar.

At the fork, head for Alianna. No save hacking here, you can go the other way after this. Knock on the door, open the door. Call out. Locate the speaker. What happenned? Elvins trapped her. Help her. Use the rusty key from the Elvin chest with the scorpion. Ask for Combat aid to get Ragnarista's Armband of Swordmastery. Accept it. Share your food with her. Give her the Red Flower in exchange for the bag of gold coins. The flower is optional, but if you didn't use Sacred Hospitality in every other way, she would have attacked you with a tree monster.

Alianna comes up in the fourth game if you go through the Tower of DOP into the Deathwraith's crypt in Khare's Necropolis. (only way out is ZED.) A Deathwraith there tells you she was Alianna's lover and they did all kinds of crazy witch things.

Head for Dhumpus. wait and look, cast DOZ to avoid it, ZAP to hurt and fight the Ratbear. Enter Dhumpus. Explore. Buy the sword, buy the provisions. Ask for work. Follow, get started, cast BIG. Get paid, get fed, sleep. (There's apparently a way to destroy Dhumpus, but I didn't bother to find out how.)

Leave Dhumpus. Before Urustanti, save the Waypoint Value. Enter the plague village. Enter a hut. Cast dOC. Plague? Leave now! Tell them to leave too. Teleport back to the start of the village, hack your blimberry potion back. Go to the other hut, do the exact same thing. Teleport back to the start of the village, hack your blimberry potion back, go downhill.

Save the waypoint value. Cross the bridge, talk to Vancass. Vancass is a magic bridge tollkeeper, certain players will meet his past self in Sorcery 3. He won't recognize you here, regardless. He's got questions to ask. First is Alianna. Next are the three towns you went through in order. Cantopani, Kistantanti, and Dhumpus. He'll tell you a riddle that means to go constantly right in the Manticore's cave to avoid the traps. Hacking back to before the cave, we go into the valley. Look around, look at the river bed, get 3 pebbles. Take them. Look at the machinery. Go inside the Mine. Cast HOT, and throw it at the monster. (The Manticore). Manticore will be hurt when you see it at the end of the game. Leave. Approach the hut. Approach the troll. Cast DUM and fight it. Search the hut for 3 gold. Move on.

Approach the village. Turn around. Cast a spell, like SIX to learn the this creature negates magic. Talk to him, ask him about himself. Be nice. Jann's going to get screwed badly in Sorcery 4. Enter the village, don't mess with the Festival, go to the Tavern. Glandagor's Tavern, the name on the axe. Greet him, and give his axe back. (If you had cut the giants tongue out, you could sell it to him for 4 gold, but you don't get the option to give the axe back) Be nice, get the note for a free dip in the healing spring, tell him you're going to Khare. Listen to his advice. He'll tell you about Vik. He'll tell you about Torrepani, and how the chieftain there will ask you to save his daughter. Go to the waterfall. Do NOT give the guard the note, instead tell Jann to scout ahead and cast DUD. The note is _waterproof_ and you can use it for papery things in the later games, as well as proof to Vik that you know Glandragor if you get captured on the Slave Ship in S2. The Spring will heal you.

Wait, it heals people? People should be told about it. The plague village! Start heading back. Eventually Jann stops you. He'll do it instead. This prevents him from dying from the Gaza Moon or the Manticore later. In Sorcery 4, he'll tell you that it healed some of the villagers, but eventually "stopped working." Not sure why.

Sleep outside. Last Waypoint hack check. Go left. A black lotus field with deadly pollen that will kill you. Cast NIF (you get these from Alianni if you chose magic instead of combat. It's not worth it just to cross this field. Later games show you don't even need to cast the spell, just putting the plugs in your nose will protect from gas. You'll see all the bodies in the field.

Last cheat, hack back and go right instead. Whether you eat or not, you'll find a mysterious assassin in the trees. Cast ZAP and attack. Beating him does not kill him, choose to spare him and ask he attacked you. He says for practice. Let him know you are going to Khare, and ask why he has business in Khare. He'll say the Council had him investigating the Goblins. They're doing stuff in the mountains where the Crown of Kings was made. If you went to the Schanker Mine, you'll offer they're mining for emeralds; but he'll say it's more. He'll talk about how ancient sorcerers used to live in the Hills. If you fought the Giant, you can mention this, and he'll say they became Giants. (You DO meet a priest/mage who was turning into a giant in Tinpang in S3). Offer him your hacked Blimberry Juice, and leave.

Leave the Trees, and you'll meet an old woman sitting at the step of her House. Gaza Moon. She's easy to piss off, if you try to walk away from her, you'll find out. Walk up to her. Chat. She'll leave. Now, she's poisoned her own cup, expecting a Princess Bridge switch. Drink your own tea, and she'll drink her poisoned cup and run to the antidote. She'll ask for the spell page from the guy early on. It really makes no difference if you give it to her or lie. If you give it to her, you can ask if she'll take the curse off, but she's pretty sure it killed him.

Head to Torrepani. Make contact with the villagers, apparently Flanker killed their best warrior they wanted to fight the Manticore, and now the Goblins have kidnapped their chieftain's daughter to sacrifice to it. Brag, and let them take you to their chief. Their chief is busy, so they lock you up. Sleep, forgive the chief when he gets you out, accept his food and accept when he asks for help. Head to the mine.

Keep going right to get to the Manticore, but I'm going to trip the traps for giggles. First intersection, I go left. There's a diamond in the wall, but I can't get it. I go left. I fall down a hole onto a pit of snakes. Cast LAW and have them get you out, or ZEN and float out. Back at the diamond, go straight. Go left. Turn around, and it's an Indiana Jones boulder! Cast WAL or gUm. Go left, go forward, go left. open the door, enter the room, cast FOF. Thankfully water doesn't ruin your items like in later games.

Go straight twice, go right. See the girl, see the Manticore.

Cast FOG, HOT, POP to kill it without having to fight. If you cast FOF, you can cheese the Manticore fight in that IT CAN'T HURT YOU if you defend at 0.

Head back for a celebration, healing, the key to Khare, and selling those two emeralds from the Goblin mines for 20 gp.