Universal Sorcery! - (by inkle)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, May 1, 2013.

1. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    Is there a way to hide the flags/pennants? Seems like they would break the immersion for me. They clash with everything else.

2. Alex Wolf

Alex Wolf Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Multi-language???

3. Smartbomb

Smartbomb Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Artist
    England
    This

4. toshiX

toshiX Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2012
    I just completed the game. Took me 1-2 hr? Can't be sure as I was playing on and off several min each time. I've never played a game book on ios before so I'm not sure what is the standard but I feel this game is too short for $4.99. While the combat is interesting, I think I only fought 3-5 times in total? And that is including the opening tutorial combat. Anyway, the preview video on iMore more or less sums up everything abt the game. It is an enjoyable game and my main complaint is that the game is too short. Kinda hard to justify the price tag if u were to compare it to other games in the store now. It would make more sense if subsequent chapters are available via iap at a lower price.

5. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    Uh, oh.

6. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I'm not worried. Ill gladly take my time with this and probably replay it to try other routes etc. Couple of dollars for this is still a bargain in my eyes

7. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Part of the deal with gamebooks is you can finish them while barely seeing a quarter of what it has to offer, but I'm intrigued about this 1-2 hour statement. 3-5 instances of combat sounds pretty low, and I'm hoping the whole thing doesn't turn out to be too easy.

8. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    1-2 hours sounds perfect for me, I like the tin man game books because they don't take long to go though in one sitting, which is also the reason I didn't like book 8 as much (because it was huge and took ages to read)
    Only half an hour to go :D

9. Ouch.

Dev can you confirm the above? As the original book had way more than 3 fights, nor could you complete it in 1-2 hours.

10. retrogamer83

retrogamer83 Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011
    United Kingdom
    Gotta admit, the game looks great, but I'd be gutted to finish it in only 2 hours. I know it doesn't cost a lot of money, but I'm on a strict budget so have to pick very carefully what apps I buy. And I only buy games that will last and stay on my iPad a while. Ah well.

11. Ruadhan

Ruadhan Member

Jul 3, 2012
    A couple of hours on a fast readthrough sounds right to me. Bear in mind the original book wasn't that thick - 240 pages / 456 paragraphs long, having just looked it up! - and with a lot of different choices, a single path through the book isn't actually that long. But the joy of it is trying a whole load of different paths... :)

12. CoreyB

CoreyB Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Aircraft Mechanic
    Chicago, IL
    So, if the first play through took 2 hours, what is the replayiblity of it? I saw in so early footage of the game you can take different routes, are they few and far between to not make much difference? Either way I'm still getting the game, the map looks awesome.

13. #73 DungeonPlunder, May 2, 2013
    Last edited: May 2, 2013
    Oh replaying through different paths is indeed the fun of those books. And now that I remember there wasn't that many fights in Shamutanti Hills. It was mostly gearing up on spell components for Khare and the upcoming books. Those books were particularly merciless if you miss on something - will be fun to see how this remake handles it.

Really hope they keep through with the other books as they were much more interesting than that one. Will be glad to support and hope it happens.

Couple more hours to go..

14. Dahak

Dahak Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Library circulation rep
    Beaufort, SC
    I'm holding off on this until I'm certain they can complete the series, and how the PC transfers over. I got burned with the previous version of Sorcery! on iOS, when they only got the first of four books out.

15. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Yeeees! Looks beautiful on retina iPads, thanks inkle!

I assume you'll be reading this thread, so if I might make a suggestion: Could the "Center" button switch between two set states of zoom? On the first press it zooms up close to the player, maybe on the second it could settle at a kind of mid point, something like this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pkxyngcatf27ku4/2013-05-02%2001.14.58.png

I like to play zoomed out a little, so it's easier for me if I can get to a nice level without fiddling around too much.

16. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    You have to wait for the rest of the story. The sorcery story spans four books, and the developer seems to have only adapted the first book, from what I heard. I am waiting for all four to be made for iOS before playing them...

17. Hope not everybody does that because we won't see them.. but that also brings the question of why 4 apps?

Unless they did some core rule changes these books are hardly standalone: the components you earn in the first books are crucial to the completion of the later ones since you can't activate key spells.. particularly true in the 4th one which is a beast. That's actually what made this series interesting as there's no way you'd have a perfect run on the first play-through.

You're at a big disadvantage with half-done playthroughs and I can barely imagine starting from scratch in a later book. I hardly see someone just buying Crown of Kings and having fun.

The mechanic of pc transfer will need to be top-notch. Speaking of which is there iCloud sync? 30 more minutes to go..

18. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    Bought the game on my iPad. When I noticed that this game was Universal and optimizes for iPhone 5, I did a search on the AppStore from my phone and could find NO listing of the game.

19. It should be listed in your purchases section.

I couldn't find it on the Canadian Appstore either and had to follow the link here to get it. It's always a bit hit and miss on the first day of a release.

Another question to the dev: Is there multiple character slots? Haven't seen any in my short play with it. The possibility of multiple playthrough is great but losing previous runs not so much.