Universal SOULCALIBUR - ( by NamcoBandai Games Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jan 18, 2012.

1. EightRooks

EightRooks Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    Well, this is a 12 year old game we're talking about, though. How does the 3rd generation hardware measure up to the Dreamcast or the original arcade machine?

No proper story mode means no sale for me, though, sorry. I'm sorely tempted given the time I put into the Dreamcast release, but yeah... too much. I like my fighting games with a full complement of shiny trinkets to unlock, thanks, and I've still hardly put any time into King of Fighters.

2. It doesn't measure up without a doubt, which is why competent, and of course, not lazy dev studios create enhanced ports, HD ports, etc in order to modernize popular, successful games and try to replicate their success for a whole new audience or generation of gamers. Similarly to how The Behemoth took time to redraw and re-code from the ground up, Alien Hominid: PDA games, or how Taito added a whole new twist to Bust-a-Move, Bubble Bobble, Arkanoid, etc.
    Lack of story mode is definitely a problem, especially for those who have played the game on Dreamcast, but then again, the App description does promise new game modes in future updates, which could mean the addition of story mode, or a whole new story mode.\
    The part where it says "SoulCalibur series for iOS" confuses me though. Does this mean the rest are coming soon?

3. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    #123 GoofyJmaster., Jan 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
    What????? :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

The Playstation 1 was supported for 10 years!

The PS2 is still being supported! That's 11 years so far!

The PS3 has been out for over 5 years and will be supported after the PS4 comes out.

The Xbox was supported for 7 years!

The Xbox 360 has been out for over 6 years and will be supported after the 720!

The Nintendo consoles were each supported for quite a while after their initial releases as well.

I was still playing new PS2 games when/after the Xbox 360 came out!

If Apple had it their way, we'd have to pay $300 every year to play new games. Now throw in how much a new iPad costs!

4. Triscuitable

Triscuitable Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2011
    Games Journalist
    Seattle, WA
    Hey, remind me why everyone is getting the idea that the new Xbox will be called the "XBox 720".

5. Raptor25

Raptor25 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Im pretty sure its been used elsewhere as the project title, but in the movie Real Steel (set in the near future) there is an advertisement for the Xbox 720 =P

Its not an official name though obviously since the console hasn't even really been announced.

6. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    #126 GoofyJmaster., Jan 19, 2012
    IDK what it'll be called.

Anyways, the main theory is that it's based upon a circle/degress.

One full rotation is 360 degrees. The next 720 degrees. The next 1080 degrees. And so on... So basically you're adding one full rotation to each generation.

It also kinda goes with the saying "a complete 360". To me a 180 is going backwards and a full 360 is completely changing, so every gen they're revolutionizing something--bringing something new to the table--revamping--IDK...

However, idioms can have different meanings to different people. A complete 360 to someone else may mean returning to where you were before. A full 180 usually means going backwards though.

Sorry for the off topic.

I think it's a way of keeping it organized.

PS1
    PS2
    PS3
    PS4

Xbox 0
    Xbox 360
    Xbox 720
    Xbox 1080

Who knows what Microsoft is thinking!?

7. Quazonk

Quazonk Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    I think it's safe to say that when they named the Xbox 360, they were thinking, "Ah crap, we had the Xbox to compete with the PS2...we can't name our next console the Xbox 2 to compete with the PS3, it'll sound a generation behind! We have to have a name with 3 in it, without actually implying that it's our third console.......hmmm....I'VE GOT IT!!:eek:".

8. Stormtrooper

Stormtrooper Member

Oct 9, 2010
    Art Director
    Texas
    Too expensive for an old port

Sorry, I think this is too much to plunk down for a 1999 port. If they had rebuilt it using another graphics engine like Unreal, then that might make it more attractive. But, with no multiplayer support and not all of the characters, I really can't justify it. Too bad, I was looking forward to this until I heard the price. I'll wait until they throw a sale.

9. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Maybe...

I'm pretty sure the projected(interpreted) symbolism of the numbers is what I stated though!

I wasn't sure about the PSP because I sold mine shortly after I got it, but I looked it up and the PSP I got in 2005 is still supported by the UMDs made.

It looks like UMDs will no longer be made with the PS Vita's release. Hey, it was a good 6 years for all the PSP fans...I guess.

10. dnk

dnk Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Not really, people usually associate 'taking a 180 turn (a U turn)' with taking a radical step, something completely different from where they've been headed to or what they've been doing.

11. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Doesn't a U-turn mean going backwards?

This is what I'm saying, it can mean different things to different people. It can be anything from regional to age differences. With the amount of people in this world, it can't possibly mean the same thing to everyone. Hell, I bet plenty parts of the world have never heard these sayings before anyway.

To me a full circle (360) means you accomplished something and now your back to where you were at to start anew.

A 180 (U-turn) to me means going backwards,turning around, or not moving forward.

I mean it depends on how you look at it, I guess.

But yeah, I've heard using 180 as a radical step too, but usually in a more negative light.

12. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Out in the U.S.!

13. Quazonk

Mar 30, 2011
    Ding ding ding

14. dnk

dnk Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Yeah maybe it's just different people different perspective kind of thing.

Down here people associate 360 as going back to where you were when you start, so that's not necessarily a good thing as you end up at the same place you start.

Whereas taking a U-turn is often cast as a bold and brave step. Negative or positive depends on the context, eg. If a drug smuggler takes a U turn to be a good man and educator against drugs, that's a positive U turn.

In the meantime, taking a 360 means the drug smuggler goes back to be a drug smuggler again.

15. Quazonk

Mar 30, 2011
    #135 Quazonk, Jan 19, 2012
    It all depends on what direction you were travelling in when you made the 180 ;)

Does anyone else find it weird that this game is titled "SOULCALIBUR", and not "SOUL CALIBUR"? I damn near couldn't find it on the app store, and no find means no buy! Not the wisest move by Namco, to be sure!

16. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Yeah...makes sense guys!

I guess it just depends on where you're at in your life or how you perceive things.

Personally, I've never used the complete 360 term in my life...I don't think. I've heard the complete 180 a few times and it's generally bad, but I can see the good part of it.

I wonder if full circle and a complete 360 mean something different!? Like "full circle" you come back, but "complete 360" you make a full change for the better.

The english language is just plain crazy sometimes. Like when you say something and the only way ppl understand it is with an added expression.

**lol at us turning the Soul Calibur thread into the life lessons thread. :D

17. DarthSlim

DarthSlim Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Yes! Just finished downloading and now I'm about to play.

18. electroman12

electroman12 Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2011
    How does this game run on an iPhone 4? Is the frame rate bad? Thanks!

19. CoW_Ecoray

CoW_Ecoray New Member

Jan 16, 2012
    #139 CoW_Ecoray, Jan 19, 2012
    Well,my device is jb so I used iFunbox:)So I'm playing soulcalibur on iPad 1;)

20. RebornProphet

RebornProphet Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    Very impressed. Look identical (not better as someone keeps continually saying) to the Dreamcast version. Controls are ok, I hit 31 wins on my favourite mode from the Dreamcast days, Survival mode, using old favourite Kilik, and was still able to fire off all the old moves.