iPhone Space Hulk - (by Full Control Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Dec 4, 2013.

1. biokid

biokid Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Wop Wops
    #61 biokid, Dec 5, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
    I thought Messenger of Purgatory was actually a free update on PC awhile ago. According to Steam changelog, it has only 3 missions.

EDIT: The other two expansions have 5 new missions each.

2. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    So I only watched the first mission, and while the game looks great, it seems like every Space marine hits his mark a bit to well. Though this is from a person who loved the diffucluty and randomness of attack hits from Space Hulk Death angel. I love the first person cam though. My one other gripe that I had was how slow everything played out (Yes, I know they're in giant suits, but that was slow) I feel like it should at least have something like a X2 speed button.

3. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    #63 oooooomonkey, Dec 5, 2013
    You can change the animation speed in the options from normal (default) to fast or fastest (which really is quick)

And about the skins they say that they just change the appearance of the genestealers in both the single player and multiplayer modes,
    I'm going to grab the extra missions but I'm not sure about the skin packs as genestealers should look like how they do as default.

Quick impressions are great, I've played the first three tutorial missions and died trying the first actual mission. I like how you see the combat log but it could do with updating a little quicker, the first person camera is a really cool touch and I can see this lasting a while as it's nails hard as it should be (and this is just on normal)
    I'm betting that the multiplayer is going to rock.

From what I've played the terminators don't always hit there shots, I've had out right misses, gun jams, etc it's all on a dice roll so it's just as random as death angel. Goes both for and against you as I had one guy not on over watch take out two genestealers by freak luck of he dice in close combat.
    Oh man I love the space hulk theme and universe.

4. h1ryu

h1ryu Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2011
    I've just played the first two missions and to answer your concerns, on the first mission my marines didn't miss a shot whereas on the second they were missing fairly often. I suspect that it may have been a kind of tutorial section, (although the explanations it gives were a little lacking compared to some other games).

Also the move speed is slow but there are two quicker settings in the options menu so that should be able to tailor it to your needs.

5. Pocketnova

Oct 15, 2012
    Thanks for the responses! I'm glad to hare all of this. So exicting!

6. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Guys what's the verdict? Is this a must have or not, is it like warhammer quest?

7. Pocketnova

Oct 15, 2012
    Out now world wide, if I'm not mistaken.

8. PCKid

PCKid Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Game Player
    Western Australia
    Warhammer 40K, Terminators, It's Space Hulk. Of course it's a must have. And they gave us the shoulder cams. Brilliant. Over the moon with this. Not quite how I remember it on my Commodore 64.:D

9. h1ryu

h1ryu Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Very good so far, a lot more linear than Warhammer Quest and your guys don't level and you have little control of their equipment.

If you like decent strategy games and killing aliens in corridors then it's great, just don't expect WHQ in space or you may be a little disappointed. For me personally it's one of the better strategy games I've played in some time.

10. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Pckid and H1 thanks for the responses!

11. speedyph

speedyph 🌊🌊🌊🏃🏃😂😂😂⚡️⚡️⚡️

Feb 3, 2013
    it's 30$ on PC come on KIDD

12. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    #72 september, Dec 5, 2013

Yeah Purgatory was free. Actually what I had here was incorrect, I presumed prices posted here were USD but I don't think they were.

13. tarasis

tarasis Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    So any reports on how it fairs compared to the Mac/PC version?

14. tarasis

tarasis Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Cheers as always Sanuku, looks to run well. What were you running it on?

15. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    How does multiplayer actually works?
    Do you get proper GC notifications when it's your turn, even against PC people?

16. Parkingtigers

Parkingtigers Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2010
    #76 Parkingtigers, Dec 5, 2013
    Enjoying this so far on my original iPad Mini. Big fan of the original boardgame. The UI is still optimized for PC, with very small tap zones on Mini. The manual still refers to mouse and keyboard buttons too.

I'm wondering if the Hong Kong store got an older build by mistake, because I didn't get the tutorial missions that were mentioned, nor the shoulder cams. Very curious.

The AI still seems a bit weak, with the genestealers converting all their blips instantly rather than holding them back to hide their numbers. Also, they just seem to rush the player rather than lurk and go for well-timed attacks. Still fun in spite of that, and of course there is multiplayer to offset the AI issues.

I do wish it had a confirm move button like XCOM, one wrong tap and your terminator instantly wanders off. Yes there's an undo button, but I'd prefer a more controlled and deliberate way of choosing the moves in advance. Right now it's tap and hold, and deselecting if you don't like it. Making the choices and AP costs clearer on the main screen would be a nice improvement in later patches. Currently I have to tap and hold on a (very small) ? button to show AP costs for things.

Overall though, despite a bit of clunkiness around the edges this is a pretty good adaptation of the boardgame and it is wonderfully atmospheric. I still hope it gets a bit more polish, it doesn't quite have the gloss of Warhammer Quest for example. Space Hulk is a better game than Warhammer Quest I feel (and this is my feeling on the original boardgames too), but the WQ port had better implementation. Both are worthwhile purchases though.

Not regretting my $10, going to be blasting 'stealers for some time. The 3.4 GB filesize hurts, but that's an issue with my woefully low capacity iPad and not a flaw of the game.

Edit: Just watched Sanuku's video and I definitely do not have that menu option for the tutorials. My build says 1.3 same as in the video, but I'm missing features. Very odd.

17. PCKid

PCKid Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Game Player
    Western Australia
    I said on their Facebook page a couple of days ago that I hoped it lived up to my expectations. Oh and then some. Having the shoulder cam shows iPad owners can compete with console players. This year has shown that the iPad is a serious contender in the gaming stakes. No way would I up the speed. The clang and stagger of the terminator animations is perfect for me. 3 missions in and loving it. Oh yes did I mention shoulder cams?

18. Ajso

Ajso Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2011
    Community Manager at Full Control Ap
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    It's about the same size as XCOM when unpacked

19. Ajso

Ajso Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2011
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    #79 Ajso, Dec 5, 2013
    I hope you have an iPad 4/iPad Air ot iPad mini retina then :p Shoulder Cam Only works on those

20. Ajso

Ajso Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2011
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    #80 Ajso, Dec 5, 2013
    "No, I didn't mean anything like RPG continuity, I meant does the game have anything like a Hall of Fame or scoring to track your best runs of each mission."

We don't at the moment, I have been poking the coders for it for a while though

EDIT: I forgot the quote