Space Hulk (Games Workshop)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by RaptorF35, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Thomas Lund

Thomas Lund Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    IT consultant and game developer
    Sweden
    Console - we will try! We already have controller support in there (for Steam big picture) :)

But its a little more tricky as the costs associated with a port and the QA process are..... a lot. Like $50-100k+ per console platform. And even worse if we go box.

iPhone - we will try! And no matter what, we will do it universal. Even if the UI has to be redone/reworked.

/T

2. steviebwoy

steviebwoy Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2011
    e-Systems Analyst
    Cornwall, UK
    Yeah, I hear you on the console prices. You could always do a Kickstarter, though. I'm sure that would help you to determine what the demand is like, and also allow you to increase the profile of the iPad game at the same time. What do you think? :)

3. kevlarx

kevlarx New Member

Sep 11, 2012
    My only experience of Space Hulk is the 3Do version which I absolutely loved. Will this game be similar? I've never played xcom so that comparison doesn't mean much to me.

4. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I have no idea what Space Hulk is and all I know about Games Workshop is it's somehow related to pretty damn cool character and creature designs, but you completely sold me with the XCOM comparison.

5. steviebwoy

Feb 17, 2011
    e-Systems Analyst
    Cornwall, UK
    #25 steviebwoy, Mar 14, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
    Can't wait for this one!

6. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    There are free fanmade ports of Spacehulk on Windows that you can download to check out the gameplay. Back then, they were based on the first and second edition.

The latest third edition seems to be significantly different, and I think that is what the iOS version will be referencing.

7. steviebwoy

Feb 17, 2011
    e-Systems Analyst
    Cornwall, UK
    I don't know that they were really turn-based though, were they? From what I can recall, the majority of the games were some weird squad-based action game. This is obviously not what the iOS game will be like.

8. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    From what I gather it will be a similar style to their previous game tactical solider but with the space hulk setting. Which is turn based squads moving around on a grid etc.
    I might be wrong but that's the impressions I get.

9. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    If you have a PC, 360 or PS3 you really need to check out XCOM.

Or at least watch a Let's Play. This was the one that sold me: Youtube Link

10. handintoaster

handintoaster Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2010
    So this is not affiliated with the marvel super hero character?

11. grenadedodger

grenadedodger Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Manchester, UK
    No. A Terminator vs Hulk may be an interesting fight but absolutely no other link.

12. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I think Hulk would win since a Genestealer could take out a Terminator if it got close.

Short version of what Space Hulk is: Space hulk refers to a derelict space ship floating in space. Think Marie Celeste in space, and the Terminators have been sent to this ship to recover a treasure before the monsters get them.

Long version: Lots of stuff about chaos, the warp, the immortal Emperor's love of his corrupted favourite son, Horus, leading to the fall of mankind and the need to recover lost technology which now happen to be housed in these space hulks populated by Genestealers who are controlled by the Tyranids...

13. RebornProphet

RebornProphet Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    This brings back memories.

I had the Space Hulk and Hero Quest board games back in the day and it got me heavily into the hobby painting of Citadel Miniatures. GeneStealers and Orcs were great fun to paint, although some of the Marine models you could add we're just superb compared to the stock, packaged ones.

Good times.

14. grenadedodger

grenadedodger Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Manchester, UK
    Just imagine the DLC they could do for this, like the equivalent of buying an old blister pack, inquisitors, death guard, brood lords etc....

15. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Just so long as they don't charge gamesworkshop prices for the extras :eek: the price of miniatures these days is crazy.
    But I agree this could be great. Can't wait to see some gameplay footage

16. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
  17. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    I'm either putting it down to it not being finished or that the terminators have some fancy enemy GPS positioning system :D

The game is looking god though and judging by that video it should be fantastic.

18. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Yeah it's looking very nice, I actually wasn't a big fan of the expansions but does anyone know if they're included?