Space Miner: Platinum Edition (by Venan Entertainment) [TA 2010 GotY]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Venan, Feb 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fletch

Fletch Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    The Internet
    Gee, I've been trying to cut back on app purchases lately, but this really looks like something I won't be able to pass up. Such unanimous forum enthusiasm is unprecedented, I do believe. And its always reassuring to see Albie behind it, with his old humor and all :)

Will definitely be picking this up when I get a chance. Might wanna get a little farther in GTA before I dive in. But we shall see, I might not be able to resist that long...

2. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    I don't think you can go wrong with this one Fletch. Plus all the other kids are buying it. :p

3. Fletch

Fletch Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    The Internet
    Damn peer pressure :p Fine. You've sold me. Need to find a way to clear up some space on my overloaded iPod. But by tomorrow hopefully I'll have given it a go. Happy? :)

4. Squeaker

Squeaker Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Bookland
    Touching is until now the most challenging part to me :p

5. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    Yeah, and we're all going to the over 18 bar so you have to go too.

6. RiverOnFire

RiverOnFire Well-Known Member

Here we go again... :D

7. SarcasticGamer

SarcasticGamer Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2009
    NYC
    I hope every TA members buys this game. It's a testament that you don't have to be a big dev to release an extremely polished and amazing game. I pimped this game to everyone I know with an Iphone or itouch, I can't wait for their new project :)

8. kahdmus

kahdmus Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    I have also been pimping this game to all and sundry..it absolutely deserves it, fantastic bit of code this one!

I actually don't like iPhone shooters but the rpg element is just so perfectly executed it is immediately addictive. I made the purchase warily but now wish the game would last far longer than I know its going to - I can't put it down!

9. Fletch

Fletch Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    The Internet
    Cool with me ;)

10. dssed

dssed Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2009
    hey guys, in the storyline ( i just got to it after 30min of playing) did you guys choose help uncle jeb or not?

11. psionic

psionic Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2008
    this is an awesome game, i've done all the sidequests so far (bought and immediately played hard mode) and it's been a blast.. good job devs!

the only criticism is the touching of the bases. It doesn't always seem to work and can get interrupted.. how about a visible circular area (really light alpha fill with a fairly bold circle outline) and also allowing movement to stay within that circular area? and as soon as you're in the circular area (while it's still invisible since you didn't touch it yet) the "bouy" or whatever becomes active?

it's really annoying since you have to touch them all the time and it's so tricky to stay within range especially w/ the big tankers.

chris.

12. Fruho

Fruho Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Gameloft Employee
    Under Your Bed
    I am....stunned....that such a great game can b released. All I can do is thank the debs and thank the TA people for convincing me to buy this. The graphics are beautiful, the story is humorous, the controls are flawless, the soundtrack is easily the best on the app store......unbelievable. I'm lost for words......incredibly good. If you have 5 dollars to spend, this is what you should be buying. App store review going up

13. RiverOnFire

RiverOnFire Well-Known Member

I don't know what it is about this game but it's like the heroin for idevice gamers.

14. txag2005

txag2005 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    I've heard nothing but great things about this. A few
    questions as am considering buying.

1. How many hours of gameplay is it?

2. How does the rpg element work? Sounds like an astroid shooter but then I hear it is an rpg.

3. Any idea if a lite version is coming?

I'm always hesitant to buy at launch prices as most games drop in price quickly. Still depending on what else u hear I may bite the bullet and get this.

15. Hai5

Hai5 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Hardcore is...HARD!! I had trouble at rescuing the uncle already. Enemy hits really hard!!

16. RKRigney

RKRigney Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Journalist
    Poplarville, MS
    I'll be doing a developer profile interview with the developers of Space Miner this Friday. Hope you guys all check it out when it's up!

17. V_Mark

V_Mark Member

Feb 4, 2010
    Game designer
    CT
    Hi. I'm another one of the designers on the project. Hopefully my answers will convince you to take the plunge.

1. Gameplay length varies depending on your thoroughness, but if you're just going through the story it will probably take you around 5-6 hours your first playthrough.

2. The in-sector gameplay is very much like Asteroids, but the level progression and ship customization is where the RPG elements come in. You need to mine ore in each sector, which progresses your license bar (like earning exp). When your license bar is filled, you unlock a new license which gives you access to more sectors and missions. You can also find and purchase equipment to upgrade your ship. There's a wide selection of upgrades, but you need to be smart about what equipment you choose as just buying the best equipment will most likely overload your ship reactor. The game also features a central narrative that drives the gameplay - another trope of RPGs.

3. As Brandon mentioned earlier, there's a lite version in the works. It should see release in 2-3 weeks and will feature the first 2 licenses of the game (there's 6 licenses total!).

18. Squeaker

Squeaker Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Bookland
    Cool. Will be looking out for it. :)

19. drunkhobo15

drunkhobo15 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2010
    Waiter
    Fort Worth, Texas
    #399 drunkhobo15, Feb 10, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
    *edit* new review posted later in thread

20. yrrebeulb19

yrrebeulb19 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Yeah I beat it on hard then again on hard using just the jalopy, so I thought I could handle hardcore pretty easily, but it's been tough for me so far. It's a great addition to really challenge you once you've completed the game.