Space Miner: Platinum Edition (by Venan Entertainment) [TA 2010 GotY]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Venan, Feb 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sakurina

Sakurina New Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Developer
    Bought this after a friend recommended it over Twitter the other day and definitely haven't regretted it; just waiting on that update to fix the crash bugs so I can move further along in my first playthrough. Recommended it to some college friends and sold two people on it.

Just something I noticed while looking at the syslog earlier, the game's piracy detection seems to be broken. I'm jailbroken, but I bought Space Miner through App Store, yet the syslog reports "WARNING: Application has been pirated!". I don't know if Venan is doing piracy protection of any kind or is merely using this for statistical purposes, but I figure it would be good to mention that people are being wrongly labeled as such.

2. Hai5

Hai5 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Where can I find this syslog?

3. V_LilMike

V_LilMike Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Programmer at Venan
    #963 V_LilMike, Mar 4, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
    This was a test debug log message that was unfortunately left in. It does not mean anything. Heck, it even accuses me of pirating my own game. :p

4. Vexorg

Vexorg Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2009
    iPhone Developer
    The graphics of this game reminds of of Wing Commander Privateer, especially the part where switching weapons change the look of your ship in the hanger. The game should borrow more from Privateer and include things like exploring different solar systems that have different stations to buy and sell from (some systems would have better deals then others, some shops would only have the advanced items) and also have to sell your ore to these shops. Some ore types would bring in more money from different shops.

Ok, maybe the ore selling would be a bit too much to handle for casual players, but I think players would like to visit new systems with different shops. And instead of random quests when you try to fly into a system, you should be able to accept quests from a mission board in stations (with a higher payout reward listed for harder quests).

These type of games use to be fun in the 90's but they don't release these types of games anymore for the PC. Except for Eve and that one German game (X something) that takes supply and demand and turns it into a spreadsheet game (that's no fun).

5. Fruho

Fruho Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Gameloft Employee
    Under Your Bed
    Nice update!

6. Hai5

Hai5 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Where?

7. ataloss

ataloss Well-Known Member

Update - v 1.1.1

Wow.. didn't notice this... :D

8. Whosatm

Whosatm Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    So the update is already out? I didn't see it on the App Store on my touch.

9. ataloss

ataloss Well-Known Member

#969 ataloss, Mar 5, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
    I did a search on the iTunes store (via PC) and it was there. But, if you redownload the app, you'll get it. :)

EDIT: Can a moderator change the thread heading, it's back to $2.99

10. Wilbair

Wilbair Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2009
    Dream

its indeed a nice update! I can see it know also on my iphone by the 'updates'. But the sad part is that i have completed the game a few times know and got almost all the achievements. The update for me is to late because it brings nothing extra to extend the playtime. But still its a good job from the developers.

In my dream is see therefore an update for spaceminer that will extend the playtime. There is an endless space that we can explore and there are new missions. We can buy new weapons an upgrades. There will be a million astroides to mine:eek: The game will be a kind of MMORPG like warcraft but without the online gameplay(it could, but will be hard to make) only an endless world where we can level up much more then know would be fantastic. Maybee we also can build or own spacestation with upgrades etc. from where we will build an empire on the dust of the mined astroides. :D

Hope do you guys think about this????
    greetz

11. Squeaker

Squeaker Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Bookland
    I like the new icon :)

12. EnigmaticOddity

Mar 1, 2010
    Great update. Thanks a lot, it's great to be able to listen to music in game and best of all I won't need to worry about accidently changing my difficulty from hardcore on the final boss for my hardcore playthrough.

Does anyone remember a game a while back developed for Windows 3.1 called Operation: Inner Space? This game reminds me a lot of that game, which I also played to death. It too was like Asteroids, had RPG elements but also had friendly/hostile factions, pirates and police forces.

13. Tarengo

Tarengo Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Writer
    San Francisco, CA
    Feature request

First off, love this game. It's just awesome.

I do have a request for a future update though--could we get a scanner upgrade, or some sort of on-screen system to help find people on the rescue missions? Unless I missed something on the scanner radar, or by sound clues, you just have to fly around the level and hope you run into them right? It gets hugely frustrating when I miss it by one or two folks and know I could have gotten them in time if I only knew where they were.

14. Hai5

Hai5 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009
    If you equip the best scanner which has 1000 range, and with +20% range from alien tech. You get 1200 which covers i think 3/4 of the entire map. People for rescue are indicated in orange color

15. Jarek

Jarek Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    FISHLABS Moderator
    Końskie, Poland
    Travellers are marked orange on Your radar map.
    The distance until You spot them on it depends on installed radar advancement.

16. twwantb2

twwantb2 Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Hey, first I just want to agree with this thread; amazing game. Really, I just wish there were some really large levels to explore because flying around is such a joy. I wish anyone who was frustrated with the controls payed more attention to the 'remove finger off control wheel to brake', because as soon as I saw that mentioned I started effortlessly sliding around asteroids strafing things.

@Tarengo, there's a piece of alien tech that boosts your scanner range by 20%, I think it might even be on the first playthrough? Other than that, yeah, just make sure you have the best possible scanner.

Actually, I was thinking about that just last night, but I had a slightly different question: If you refuse a side quest, is it missed, or can you come back to it? It was for that very same reason; I noticed in some of my playthroughs I tend to miss a random tourist, and I considered refusing the missions until I had a higher end scanner but I'm afraid that would cause me to lose out and not be able to get the award. Same thing applies to the Protect missions; can you redo those later or is each opportunity a one shot deal?

17. Tarengo

Tarengo Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Writer
    San Francisco, CA
    Awesome, thanks guys.

18. Venan

Venan Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2010
    They will get offered again, but they are offered randomly so it may take longer to get offered the mission again.

Best strategy for doing all the tourists is to make sure your scanner is maxed, you have something better than the first engine (which is slow), and to use a pattern for scanning the sector. I usually fly up/down or left/right until I hit the middle and then move over and do it again.

19. twwantb2

twwantb2 Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Thanks for the reply, I'm in no rush so that's excellent news! As for the scanning, I was trying to do that but flying diagonally for some reason. I'm not sure why I didn't think to just fly in vertical or horizantal stripes - I suppose I was using groggy, 3 am logic.

Anyway, best of luck with it all. There's just so much right with this game, I hope it goes big places.

20. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Thanks for enabling the flipping of controls. For some reason, my iPod is not responding very well with the controls on the left to move. So now if I have on auto-fire and move with the controls on the right, it works much better for me (I'm sure you actually did this for left handed people, which I'm not).

At first, I thought you meant the ability to flip the screen, which would have been even better. But anyway, the update is still great for me!