Space Miner: Space Ore Bust!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Venan, Jan 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

That sounds great, I am really looking forward to that game!

So, another two questions:

1. How many people participated in the design process?
    I always like to hear something about the devs. :)

2. If nobody asked before - at what price will your game be available?

2. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Any plans for something like a Survival Mode? No real plot, just mining endlessly in progressively nastier and nastier environments with you just seeing how long you can last.

3. Venan

Venan Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2010
    Crystal wasn't available, or maybe still in beta, when we started integrating their library. As for exclusivity, I think that's just a matter of Plus+ being in the market longer.

We've been very happy with Plus+ and its integration with Space Miner though, and I think the awards and leaderboard are going to be a lot of fun.

4. V_Kain

V_Kain Active Member

Jan 20, 2010
    Designer and Writer
    East Coast, USA
    Hi again, Vovin!

1.) We started with two designers in the early prototyping process, and when things picked up a bit we added a third designer to the project. Even though there are only three designer credits in the game, however, everybody at Venan helped with the design process! We had a number of internal company playtests throughout Space Miner's development to get ideas on how to make the game design better.

2.) Space Miner: Space Ore Bust will be priced at $4.99 on the App Store.

5. V_Kain

V_Kain Active Member

Jan 20, 2010
    Designer and Writer
    East Coast, USA
    We certainly do have concepts and ideas for new game modes outside of the main story mode, but no concrete plans yet!

6. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Cool enough, you have to start somewhere and it's always best to float out the main concept and see if it floats before you start piling even more onto it. ;)

7. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Well, I thanks that's a quite reasonable price for a highly polished game like this. :)

I really love the character design... so, was there any inspiring example for Jeb or that girl?
    (and what's her number? :D )

8. songbird

songbird Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2009
    Ok :( Well I guess I will keep an eye on the Venan Blog to get as much of a 'making of' experience without the actual video. Thanks for answering my question. :) I really like the gameplay video and I can't wait to see it out in stores. Congrats on getting to see all your hardwork pay off as such a polished game hits the app store (hopefullly real soon)!

9. Mudkipz223

Mudkipz223 Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Atlantis
    I have two questions:
    1) Why did you want to make this kind of game rather than say a castle defense?
    2) Also, are you planning any introductory sales once it gets on the AppStore?

10. kmacleod

kmacleod Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    Artist / Writer / Designer
    California
    Alright, two questions :)

1) Which other games has your company been involved in developing? From reading your website, I got the impression that you did behind-the scenes development for other companies.

2) Any plans on porting this to the iPad? It seems like it would be a good fit...

11. Venan

Venan Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2010
    First off, most of the look came from our concept artist, we just had vague descriptions and he did a great job making them come to life.

For Jeb, we just had an image in mind of a grizzled old, squinty eyed prospector with a big bushy beard. I think it's just a classic look from US "old west" movies during our gold rush period in the late 1800s. For the girl, we just knew we wanted someone who was cute but not overly "girly". Again, props to our concept artist on creating that character for us.

12. Venan

Venan Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2010
    I think ultimately the appeal for us lies in making games that are different and don't fall into a cut a dry genre. Since we do a lot of contract work that does, when we get to do our own stuff we try to bring something new to the table. There are a number of castle defense games on the app store, but I think this will be the only asteroid mining RPG on there:)

As for sales, we don't want to get into the cut rate pricing war of the App Store, so we will be launching at $4.99. We will be releasing a demo in a few weeks, so people who aren't sure will have a chance to check out the game that way if plunking down $5.00 seems a bit high.

13. Venan

Venan Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2010
    1) On the App Store, we've done Monopoly Worldwide, Monopoly Classic, NBA Live and the upcoming Sonic at the Winter Olympic Games.

2) Absolutely. We had it running on the simulator today and it looks really nice :)

14. Coops58

Coops58 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009
    I said don't look here!
    I wanted to know about the why your ceo is such a grumpy man :p, that picture with him in it made him look like hitler minus the unlimited power.

15. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    My question is?

Does the game make use of the iphone's vibrate feature and if so, can I disable that in options.

I really don't like it when that's used in games as it wastes battery power and I dislike it even less when I can't turn it off.

Thanks!

16. Khamous

Khamous Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2009
    This could potentially be a great game. I am tired of reading those pseudo serious storylines that arent either funny nor involving so it ends up being a big blah just let me play already and makes the gameplay repetitive in the end because you're doing the same thing over and over with no relaxation point. So good thing this game doesn't do that :D

17. OnePhatKatt

OnePhatKatt Member

Dec 27, 2009
    Space Miner

Does the 3D graphics in this game, is the 3GS recommended? Will an iPod touch or iPhone 3G be sufficient?

The concept for this game reminds me of some games I used to play on PC back in the 90s. I'm digging it and can't wait to dig into it. Don't mine the puns, ore do. LOLZ! (Seriously though, I can't wait!)

18. The Guy

The Guy Member

Jan 28, 2010
    What other games inspired this game's gameplay concept/mechanics/style?

19. Jarek

Jarek Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    FISHLABS Moderator
    Końskie, Poland
    Thank You for swift reply!

Number of available items is very impressive, it gives some area to customize our "ride" ;) and don't worry about skinning - this is not the most important feature.

You mentioned Plus+ system, but wouldn't Open Feint be better solution as it is a way more popular? OF would attract more customers between those, who own OF account and big number or achievement points.

Facebook is not that important at all, and You are right - as SpaceMiner seem to be long, ambitious game, not just pick-and-play one, I see it is almost impossible to implement Facebook notifications.

Moreover, I am looking forward for multiplayer (if any). Suggest of another game in SM universe also sounds very, very promising - why not space RPG in Mass Effect style? PM me of You would need storyline - I can write it ;)

I have two little questions, again:

Is listening to iPod playlists featured?
    Will we hear voices? Watch cut-scene? Something what would make whole gameplay more epic and cinematic?

20. kmacleod

kmacleod Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    Artist / Writer / Designer
    California
    Thanks for the reply!

I don't have NBA Live, but I do have both of the Monopoly games, and I've probably sunk a good deal more time than I'd care to admit into each of them - very well made games :)

I'd love to see this game running on the iPad, so hopefully you guys will end up releasing a version for it.

One more question, on a related note:
    Does this game take advantage of the Plus+ online save storage feature? I ask because that would make it easy to transfer save game progress from the iPhone to the iPad, when you do release a version for it.