Space Qube - A Voxel Based Retro Style Game

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by fallingcat, Oct 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fallingcat

fallingcat Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Indie game developer
    Taiwan
    #61 fallingcat, Apr 29, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
    Print Out Your Voxel Models

As we are close to release Space Qube, we have an very interesting news want to share with you.

Have you ever thought about creating some action figures by yourself? Yes, I do and now it's never been so easy to achieve by modern 3D printer. We have decided to integrate 3D printing service into Space Qube in the future. So you will be able to create any model you want using your finger on iPad/iphone then send it to print just by one click. The printed model will ship to your home directly and all of those are accomplished in one app!

[​IMG]

The picture shows some testing samples I just printed out and the result is better than I expected. We will add this feature in the first update of Space Qube so don't miss it if you want to print your own voxel model out :)

2. fallingcat

Oct 24, 2012
    Indie game developer
    Taiwan
    Good news! Space Qube is finally about releasing, we are planning to submit it around early June.

To celebrate it, I created a Link model :) It's basically the look from "The Wind Waker" which is one of my favorite Zelda game.

[​IMG]
    Link - The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

3. fallingcat

Oct 24, 2012
    Indie game developer
    Taiwan
    We just printed out few more Space Qube bosses and they look so cool! We sent out the order directly from Space Qube and it shipped directly to my home, it's so convenient and fun. We probably will print out more models after submitting the game, it's just around the corner :)

If you are also interested in creating your own voxel toys, don't forget to give Space Qube a try when it's released.

[​IMG]

4. fallingcat

Oct 24, 2012
    Indie game developer
    Taiwan
    #64 fallingcat, Jun 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
    Hello everybody, today I am going o share you some improvements of the gameplay since we made a lot of changes after the open beta. We collected some numbers fromm the players so we adjusted and changed many many thing according to the feedback from the players.

1. Qube system. We created a new Qube system and you can think it's a in-game currency. So the players can use Qubes to create their own space ship, they can also use Qubes to upgrade their weapons or buy other itms. The most interesting part is that now the players can create space ships with different attributes. Before open beta, the player created space ships only have appearance difference but now all player created space ships are not only different in appearance but also in attributes. So the less Qubes the players use to create the space ship, the faster but weaker the space ship will be and vise versa. So every player can create a unique space ship which is the best fit to the player.

2. The game is totally free now. Since we decided to use Qube system in game, we also decided to change the game to a total free to play game. So you can play all levels for free! You can earn Qubes by playing game then use the Qubes to create more space ships or upgrade your space ships. Of course if you don't have time to earn Qubes in the game, you can buy some Qubes in our store :)

3. Weapon upgrade system. The most exciting changes we made is the whole new weapon upgrade system. In Space Qube, there are three different weapon power-ups you are able to use: bullet+, laser and missile. Now all of those weapons can be upgraded. For example, the first level missile can fire only 2 missiles at one time but the level 4 missile can allow you to fire 8 missiles at one time! It's very interesting to see your space ship to fire so many missiles and destroy the enemies like crazy :)

Here is a video which basically shows off all the changes we made so check it out. We are welcome to any feedback, even we can't add it to the first build but we can always add it to the updates :)

5. oldgamer dude

oldgamer dude Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2013
    Wow this is shaping up really nicely, I'm surprised there isn't more interest in this. I for one am pretty excited.

6. Cynuyt

Cynuyt Well-Known Member

Awesome, i really need to trying now. Look very addictive and closeness with creative skills

7. fallingcat

Oct 24, 2012
    Indie game developer
    Taiwan
    Making of Space Qube

I always want to write something about the process of making Space Qube but can't find time to do it. I uploaded few interesting videos today for an interview so I decided to write something today otherwise I probably will never do it :)

Stage 1, Prototype
    At the very beginning, I was working on the prototype using my spare time when I was working for AMD. I created the voxel editor first then I though it would be cool if I use it to make a shooting game. I choose space as background because the performance of rendering a lot of voxels on iPhone 4 was not acceptable. So I came up the idea to use space as the background then I can avoid rendering a lot of voxels :) The original idea is making a super simple endless game, the player just shoot and try not to collide the enemies. The enemies will try to hit the player and the speed of game becomes faster and faster until the player die.

The editor and gameplay prototype

That's pretty much the evolving process of Space Qube and the game actually changed a lot since the first prototype as we keep polishing it. I actually didn't know we can walk so far when making the prototype but we did it. Although Space Qube is not perfect but I think we have done all our best to polish it as much as possible. It is really interesting when looking back the whole evolving process. We also learned many things during this period and it should help us to make a better game in the future. I was very happy about being an indie so far and hopefully I will be happy about being an indie forever :)

8. chimpman252

chimpman252 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Front Staff at Chinese Restaurant
    Cool stuff, but when is it coming out? You're killing me! :D

9. fallingcat

Oct 24, 2012
    Indie game developer
    Taiwan
  10. metroidvictim

metroidvictim Well-Known Member

what material are these objects printed from? sandstone? whats the average cost of a printed 16x16 model? 32x32 model? also, i dont see why 32x32 wouldnt fit on an iphone screen. scrolling the grid wouldnt be hard to implement. id like to design and print larger models without having to own or purchase an ipad :/

11. fallingcat

Oct 24, 2012
    Indie game developer
    Taiwan
    The material is mineral-based powder. The price actually depends on the size and voxel amount of the model. But the price of a 6 cm high character is around USD 20.00, shipping is not included.

We may have a fix about this in the future updates but if you have tried creating a 32x32 model on iPad, I believe you wouldn't want to do it on iPhone :)

12. fallingcat

Oct 24, 2012
    Indie game developer
    Taiwan
    [​IMG]

Tokyo Game Show Sense Of Wonder Night 2013 just announced that Space Qube is one of the selected game to be presented at TGS. So we will show our game at TGS Sense Of Wonder Night 2013 stage on 9/20 17:30~20:00. If you are going to TGS, please come to join us at SOWN and give us applause if you think Space Qube is cool!

We also have a booth at TGS and we will show many awesome printed figures at TGS so please come to our booth and check out those gorgeous figures if you are going to TGS.

We will have the booth for 4 days but we will be at different locations on business days and public days.

9/19~9/20 : Hall 4, Booth 4-N16
    9/21~9/22 : Hall 9, Booth 9-C4

We will have another SOWN booth on 9/21 and 9/22, but we probably can only show the figures at our booth so come to our booth if you want to see the figures.

The final thing is that Space Qube is finally going to release globally! If everything goes smoothly, Space Qube should be released around TGS :)

13. metroidvictim

wait so this is out now? ive been looking for it!

14. fallingcat

Oct 24, 2012
    Indie game developer
    Taiwan
    We removed it from iTunes store after we finished the open beta testing then we tuned the game a lot. But it will be officially released very very soon if everything goes smoothly and 3D printing feature is ready in this update :)

15. metroidvictim

mineral based powder. i see. so will your company be personally printing these out, or is it going through another service like shapeways?also, i cant speak for anyone but myself, but i would have no problem working with, and purchasing 32x32 models off an iphone. there are a good number of voxel based apps that do this pretty well, but dont have a way to print. buildville is a good example of being able to customize every asset in game. voxel is, well, a decent voxel editor. but they print through shapeways.com i believe; so the only means of getting a full color print from them is by printing in sandstone. which is of no use to me

16. fallingcat

Oct 24, 2012
    Indie game developer
    Taiwan
    I believe mineral based powder is current only way to print full color models. Hopefully in the future, we will be able to print full color model by plastic.

Currently, we use other company's printing services to print out the models but in the near future, we may print the models by our own machine.

17. metroidvictim

full color in plastic would be awesome! i havent seen it done yet, which is why i was asking. since the models you have posted looked very polished and have a very similar sheen to plastic. i wouldve never guessed them to be done in a mineral base. are they pretty durable?

18. chimpman252

chimpman252 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Front Staff at Chinese Restaurant
    Yes!!! It's great to finally have a general release date for this. The game part sounds boring but the voxel editor and printing service sounds fantastic. Can't wait to make statues of my favorite game characters (that means you, Scythian)!

19. metroidvictim

well if im understanding correctly, you have to earn the cubes you use to model your ship by playing through the game.

20. jertone

jertone New Member

Aug 21, 2013
    My name was by 0:32 in the vid :)