iPhone Space Qube - A Voxel Based Retro Style Game

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by fallingcat, Oct 26, 2012.

1. shining jade

shining jade Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2013
    This looks amazing I applied to be a beta tester guess the offer closed, though I can't wait for this to come to the AppStore! I hope this will be compatible with my ipad mini. Keep up the great work!

2. fallingcat

fallingcat Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Indie game developer
    Taiwan
    Thank you for applying beta testing and we are sorry that we only have very limited quota for beta tester.

iPad mini can work with Space Qube very well so don't worry about it :) We plan to submit Space Qube to App Store by 5/20 so you don't need to wait too long.

I will post something very interesting here soon so please keep eye on this thread :)

3. fallingcat

Oct 24, 2012
    Indie game developer
    Taiwan
    #43 fallingcat, Apr 29, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
    Print Out Your Voxel Models

As we are close to release Space Qube, we have an very interesting news want to share with you.

Have you ever thought about creating some action figures by yourself? Yes, I do and now it's never been so easy to achieve by modern 3D printer. We have decided to integrate 3D printing service into Space Qube in the future. So you will be able to create any model you want using your finger on iPad/iphone then send it to print just by one click. The printed model will ship to your home directly and all of those are accomplished in one app!

[​IMG]

The picture shows some testing samples I just printed out and the result is better than I expected. We will add this feature in the first update of Space Qube so don't miss it if you want to print your own voxel model out :)

4. Hans Laffinity

May 7, 2013
    This is so much win. Really love what I see. :)

5. fallingcat

Oct 24, 2012
    Indie game developer
    Taiwan
    Good news! Space Qube is finally about releasing, we are planning to submit it around early June.

To celebrate it, I created a Link model :) It's basically the look from "The Wind Waker" which is one of my favorite Zelda game.

[​IMG]
    Link - The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

6. fallingcat

Oct 24, 2012
    Indie game developer
    Taiwan
    We just printed out few more Space Qube bosses and they look so cool! We sent out the order directly from Space Qube and it shipped directly to my home, it's so convenient and fun. We probably will print out more models after submitting the game, it's just around the corner :)

If you are also interested in creating your own voxel toys, don't forget to give Space Qube a try when it's released.

[​IMG]

7. Thaumite

Thaumite Well-Known Member

May 15, 2013
    Oh whew! I thought this was canceled.

8. fallingcat

Oct 24, 2012
    Indie game developer
    Taiwan
    No, it's not canceled, it just takes longer than we expected since we only have two people working on this :)

Anyway, it's going to release very very soon, we need a little more time to tune and test it before releasing.

Thanks for your reply, hopefully you will download it when it's out, it' free!

9. fallingcat

Oct 24, 2012
    Indie game developer
    Taiwan
    #49 fallingcat, Jun 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
    Hello everybody, today I am going o share you some improvements of the gameplay since we made a lot of changes after the open beta. We collected some numbers fromm the players so we adjusted and changed many many thing according to the feedback from the players.

1. Qube system. We created a new Qube system and you can think it's a in-game currency. So the players can use Qubes to create their own space ship, they can also use Qubes to upgrade their weapons or buy other itms. The most interesting part is that now the players can create space ships with different attributes. Before open beta, the player created space ships only have appearance difference but now all player created space ships are not only different in appearance but also in attributes. So the less Qubes the players use to create the space ship, the faster but weaker the space ship will be and vise versa. So every player can create a unique space ship which is the best fit to the player.

2. The game is totally free now. Since we decided to use Qube system in game, we also decided to change the game to a total free to play game. So you can play all levels for free! You can earn Qubes by playing game then use the Qubes to create more space ships or upgrade your space ships. Of course if you don't have time to earn Qubes in the game, you can buy some Qubes in our store :)

3. Weapon upgrade system. The most exciting changes we made is the whole new weapon upgrade system. In Space Qube, there are three different weapon power-ups you are able to use: bullet+, laser and missile. Now all of those weapons can be upgraded. For example, the first level missile can fire only 2 missiles at one time but the level 4 missile can allow you to fire 8 missiles at one time! It's very interesting to see your space ship to fire so many missiles and destroy the enemies like crazy :)

Here is a video which basically shows off all the changes we made so check it out. We are welcome to any feedback, even we can't add it to the first build but we can always add it to the updates :)

10. fallingcat

Oct 24, 2012
    Indie game developer
    Taiwan
    Making of Space Qube

I always want to write something about the process of making Space Qube but can't find time to do it. I uploaded few interesting videos today for an interview so I decided to write something today otherwise I probably will never do it :)

Stage 1, Prototype
    At the very beginning, I was working on the prototype using my spare time when I was working for AMD. I created the voxel editor first then I though it would be cool if I use it to make a shooting game. I choose space as background because the performance of rendering a lot of voxels on iPhone 4 was not acceptable. So I came up the idea to use space as the background then I can avoid rendering a lot of voxels :) The original idea is making a super simple endless game, the player just shoot and try not to collide the enemies. The enemies will try to hit the player and the speed of game becomes faster and faster until the player die.

The editor and gameplay prototype

That's pretty much the evolving process of Space Qube and the game actually changed a lot since the first prototype as we keep polishing it. I actually didn't know we can walk so far when making the prototype but we did it. Although Space Qube is not perfect but I think we have done all our best to polish it as much as possible. It is really interesting when looking back the whole evolving process. We also learned many things during this period and it should help us to make a better game in the future. I was very happy about being an indie so far and hopefully I will be happy about being an indie forever :)

11. iamseamonster

iamseamonster Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2010
    #51 iamseamonster, Jul 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
    Are you still planning on making user's models purchasable as 3D printed models from within the app? That feature really jumped out at me when reading through the thread but it wasn't mentioned in the beta update. If it is still planned, can you give an estimate on what the cost would be for someone to order their printed model? I think that feature alone would make a great app separate from the game, if the cost wasn't too high for most people to purchase. Neat idea for gifts and whatnot, at the right price. I also am a little worried that the added cost of collecting or buying enough Qubes to make a model might make players less likely to use the 'order a print' feature, which is why i'd also like to see that as a standalone app.

12. fallingcat

Oct 24, 2012
    Indie game developer
    Taiwan
    Thanks for your reply.

3D printing service is still our plan. The cost of a model actually depends on the size and number of voxels the model used. Roughly, a 3 inches high character probably will cost USD $20~$24.

In the future, there may be a standalone app for 3D printing but we didn't have the plan yet.

13. iamseamonster

iamseamonster Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2010
    awesome, thats about what i was hoping for in terms of price. If you make a really cool voxel work of art, thats a pretty good price for getting a physical replica mailed out to you! Sounds cool, i'll definitely be checking it out.

And want to say that i'm digging the little figurines youve shown off so far. Fancy.

14. fallingcat

Oct 24, 2012
    Indie game developer
    Taiwan
  15. fallingcat

Oct 24, 2012
    Indie game developer
    Taiwan
    [​IMG]

Tokyo Game Show Sense Of Wonder Night 2013 just announced that Space Qube is one of the selected game to be presented at TGS. So we will show our game at TGS Sense Of Wonder Night 2013 stage on 9/20 17:30~20:00. If you are going to TGS, please come to join us at SOWN and give us applause if you think Space Qube is cool!

We also have a booth at TGS and we will show many awesome printed figures at TGS so please come to our booth and check out those gorgeous figures if you are going to TGS.

We will have the booth for 4 days but we will be at different locations on business days and public days.

9/19~9/20 : Hall 4, Booth 4-N16
    9/21~9/22 : Hall 9, Booth 9-C4

We will have another SOWN booth on 9/21 and 9/22, but we probably can only show the figures at our booth so come to our booth if you want to see the figures.

The final thing is that Space Qube is finally going to release globally! If everything goes smoothly, Space Qube should be released around TGS :)

16. fallingcat

Oct 24, 2012
    Indie game developer
    Taiwan