Space Themed Choose Your Own Adventure/Roguelike "Out There" 1/2 Off $3.99 - $1.99

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by razorracer83, May 25, 2014.

1. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Is it untrue luck is a factor? Will buy this either way, just need to resolve some bank issues.

2. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Price is back to its original tag. I like the game and don't regret purchasing it on day one.

3. Markku

Markku Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2011
    yep looks like the sale didnt last long, ohh well maby ill pick it up next time, but when Hearing mixed things about it, I could not jump over the fence.

4. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    You should have looked at the original forum thread. This was was easily easily worth the sale price, if not the full asking price.

Luck IS a factor, but a lot less so than it originally seems at first. At first it seems like it is completely luck. Once you get the hang of it though.... luck still involved, but you can play much more consistanly and make it further

5. Jake7905

Jake7905 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Nailed it.

6. spader623

spader623 Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2014
    From the only one game I've played so far, I can see how luck plays a factor, but also how you can learn to get around it. Like I failed because I didn't have a solar system within reach, but if I had an item that I didn't choose to get, I could've gotten farther.

7. negitoro

negitoro Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2011
    Dang, I can't believe I missed this sale. Oh well....

As for this whole 'luck' thing, I think all rogue likes (and most games) have a luck factor to them. Single player games that are purely skill based often become predictable and boring.

I always looked it at as skill improving the odds, not eliminating it. It's kind of like how even the most skilled basketball players will only hit the shot about 50% of the time.

8. Wiarumas

Wiarumas Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2014
    This game is often compared to FTL, but they have little in common.

The similarities are: you are in a space ship, each "move" you make has random events, and both are semi-roguelike where you sprint towards "home" until you die.

FTL is focused on combat. You micromanage crew, ship upgrades, ship repair, drones, etc in and out of combat. Fires break out, boarding parties, hull damage, shields down, upgrade autopilot or buy new weapons, etc. You act out your own Star Trek style space battles.

Out There doesn't have combat. It kinda has a mystery story, but its more about exploration of the unknown and about resource management. You're a solo astronaut stranded in space trying to get home. Its gameplay is about having enough oxygen to survive another jump, gathering enough resources to repair your ship (from random events and/or gathering resources), and other similar non-combat related tasks. You have limited inventory spots and you'll have to decide if you want to carry iron or more oxygen, etc.

FTL is the superior game simply because of its high production value and origins on PC. Out There feels more like a mobile game. Its more about survival against all odds and exploring an unknown universe on the fringe of death, while FTL is about gunning your way through a gauntlet of battles.

I think both are worth it. FTL being a steal at full price. Out There appropriately priced under $3.

9. pouffie

pouffie Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2013
    Price drop again. Would have definitely bought it if it was 0,99. Not sure if it is worth it at the current price...

10. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    It's a good game but for me the luck factor is too much. Someone compared it to solitaire which I think is a great comparison. The game has been updated recently that mentions fixing some balancing issues or something but I have not played it yet. If they managed to make the game more balanced then this game is a must buy. I am really glad that I bought this game because it got me interested in other games like this. If you read TAs review of the game then you will have a good understanding in what your getting. If you are into scifi space strategy type games then I would say go for it. It's just 1 buck more than you want it to be. What is that? Adding cheese to a burger? Plus zero ads or iap. In the end it's your decision, I just thought that I would throw out my 2 cents.

11. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    This is a really good game, but I don't consider it a roguelike, really. Yes, there are random events and ship inventory / resource management, but no combat and that's actually okay.

In my opinion, it's very well worth the original $4 price tag so it's on sale and you're on the fence, get it.

12. mrbiggles

mrbiggles Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Like retired
    USA
    worth $2... the luck random factor is nice and true to life. as in life; car breaks down, someone dies suddenly, roof leaks, etc :p there still is a strategy management aspect to stay alive.

13. mrbiggles

Jul 3, 2012
    Like retired
    USA
    Out There By Mi Clos Studio

good game on sale AGAIN! :D

14. cdbaksu

cdbaksu Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Sometimes I don't get how this forum works, or how the moderators choose who has the 'privilege' of posting...

15. mrbiggles

Jul 3, 2012
    Like retired
    USA
    not sure what you mean, but old thread bumps are preferred because they usually have more info, comments and questions answered. otherwise you can have same old questions "is it worth buying" etc.

16. mrbiggles

Jul 3, 2012
    Like retired
    USA
    #36 mrbiggles, Aug 1, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2014