Universal Spaceward Ho! (4x Strategy by Ariton Games/Delta Tao)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Jaklar, Apr 2, 2012.

1. dead jawa

dead jawa Member

Dec 22, 2012
    SH compared to MOO2

I'm an old Master Of Orion player, so I'm expecting things to work a certain way, so some of this is coming off as confusing.
    1. Ships take no time to build? So long as you have the money and metal it's built instantly?
    2. Top part of the slider, bottom part of the slider: So if I want more more metal, do I have the slider lower so the top bar is larger, or do I have the slider higher so the bottom bar is larger?
    3. My colony ship set up a new colony, but the colony ship still exists. It isn't used up? It can be used over and over to build new colonies? And each colony construction is free?
    4. I sent a scout to a new world. It couldn't get back home. I get that's because of how fuel works. I colonized the planet but neither the scout nor the colony ship can get back home. Am I missing something?
    5. Supposedly, the tanker ship would allow me to refuel a stranded ship. However, it can only move six too. Where's the fuel it's transporting? What's it doing if it's not actually carrying extra fuel?
    6. I'm guessing the numbers in parenthesis (2/2) refer to an attack/defense rating. Is that correct?
    7. Dip into savings? I don't get this. Isn't this just the money I have available to spend, or is it invested in some way?

2. christophercotton

christophercotton Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2012
    Sadly, if you jailbreak your phone there are ways of cheating and just posting a score. Though I think some of those high scores might be people who just play constantly. You can see how many games they have played since we released the new iPhone version by looking at the Galaxies Leaderboard. You can watch the number of games go up slowly day by day. So as crazy as it might seem. Some of those scores I think are real. If it doesn't change day by day, then it probably is fake.

We have had emails about people who have upwards of 10 million points on the Mac version, though that is over many years. But still, the iPad version has been out for almost a year.

3. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    I enjoyed this on the ipad. On the iphone, it just feels like too much work to actually figure out the controls. This is not a game that I want to have to sit through tutorials to figure out.

Sorry, just being honest. Ipad = excellent port, iphone = not so much.

4. christophercotton

Apr 3, 2012
    Yes, the ships are built instantly as long as you have metal and money. Metal is the one resource that is very limited in the galaxy.

Hmm... I guess we didn't explain that one very well. I will add a note for us to fix that in some way. Blue is Metal, Green is Terraform (making the planet green to live on) Thanks for the feedback, helps to know that it is confusing.

Yes, the colony ship can just keep moving around and colonize planets.

If you just colonized the planet, the colony ship won't be able to move as you need at least a turn to refuel. The colony doesn't fully come into existence until the next turn, and then the Colony Ship should get refueled. Does that seem like what happened?

Think of it more as the range the ship can go without hitting a planet somewhere. I don't know what the original concept was. But I know the tankers are meant to be limited by your range technology at least in their single jump. You can move the tanker again after you hit the next planet.

Yes, that is correct.

You can spend savings on building ships. The dip into savings is meant for when you are spending money on Technology advances or planets. Your income is split using the TechBars. Part of this goes into savings, part just goes away each turn into the techs and planets. If you decided you really wanted to spend all your money on terraforming or mining a planet, you can do that.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have more questions. Thanks for the questions, it is helpful to know what concepts are not straightforward. We are working on adding a tutorial mode to help out new players. Any other suggestions are more than welcome.

5. christophercotton

Apr 3, 2012
    Thanks for the feedback. The controls are almost the same, just with the screen real estate you can't show all the information on the sidebar at once.

The game definitely is great on the iPad. All the screen space is just awesome.

6. Mythbuster

Mythbuster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    One small thing: I really love the new version ... but ...

The way of moving the fleets was better (for iPad Users) ... if you want to move to a planet near the starting point the new fleet panel lays sometimes over the target planet ... so I would prefer to have the fleet panel on the right side as it was before ... or (I know it is much more work) please give the user the choice in the options what the User prefers ... :)

I have still two wishes: The ability to communicate to other players (also the AI players) like it is on the PC / Mac ...

And: Please build in a way to allow save games in the iCloud ... I would love to play games on all my three devices: iPad, iPad Mini & iPhone ... :)

Thanks a lot for the great support ... :)

7. Hat-Darkening: What does this mean?

I've been enjoying Spaceward Ho! since version 3 running on System 7 Macs. Revisiting it on the Ipad has given me a great deal of pleasure.

I've spotted Easter eggs on three different holidays!

My question: Sometimes the cowboy hat on an adversary's planet turns a darker shade of color. I have no idea why. So, why?

8. Make that FOUR different holidays.

Oh, and happy Saint Patrick's Day, everyone!

9. Mythbuster

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    Sadly it seems that no Updates are coming? Where are MP and other Features? :(

10. Five Easter Eggs, So Far

New Easter Egg on 9 July. What holiday is this? My planets have acquired glasses and a shaggy Beatle-style haircut.

(I continue to wonder why the hats of my adversaries occasionally turn a darker shade.)

11. christophercotton

Apr 3, 2012
    The glasses and Beatle style cut is one of the portraits of the original Mac programmer for the game. He really does look like that :)

For the darker shade, can you take a screenshot of what you see? Only thing I can think of is there are some different shades of hat colors for different enemies. Though if you show me a screenshot I could tell you exactly what it is.

12. Mythbuster

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    No answer is also a Kind of answer ... :cool:

13. christophercotton

Apr 3, 2012
    #253 christophercotton, Aug 1, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
    We have been working on updates and multiplayer, and you can see the new graphics we updated in the google play store. They are coming to iOS as soon as we get the iOS version through the app store.

(removed my bad comment) We are working on multiplayer. Our first attempt at trying to get the game playable in Apple's Turn Based API didn't work because of the size of the game. We are now working on writing our own server for the game.

14. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I think people get pissy if they don't hear from the devs for months. It isn't like anybody can expect updates every week, but a check-in from time to time does wonders.

15. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    That's understandable, but in this case the Spaceward Ho team seems fairly active on Touch Arcade's forums.

16. Quantus

Quantus Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Chris,

Out of curiosity, which version sells better, iOS or Android? Also, have you noticed any trend changes, for example Android sales accelerating?

17. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    I was just reading through this thread deciding on if I should purchase this game.

Just an observation.

You have a paying fan of the game asking a simple question in which you did not answer or ignored. Either way he asked again and than you ask why he gets so negative so easily? That isn't very professional. He is obviously anxious to play your game more.

This is a thread dedicated to Spaceward Ho. This is where questions about an update should go. Fans shouldn't be expected to decipher through the forums if an update is coming. That's what this thread is for, it's called Spaceward Ho! after all.

18. christophercotton

Apr 3, 2012
    Mythbusters is on our beta test list and has been for awhile. He has my direct email and we have given him updates. It has just been frustrating to give lots of attention and to have it come back as 'when will it be done? and how come we aren't answering'. When, for the multiplayer, we are working on it, but it has been taking quite a bit longer than expected.

And I'm sorry if I didn't answer a question, I do go through and try to answer all the questions that are here. We have been active on the touch arcade forums, and also very active on Twitter and email.

We do try to keep things updated and post on lots of places. If there are more questions I'm happy to answer them.

19. christophercotton

Apr 3, 2012
    iOS has been slightly better, though many days they are about the same. We haven't noticed any acceleration of the android. You can see the stats for the last 3 weeks or so here:

"Play" is android.

[​IMG]

20. christophercotton

Apr 3, 2012
    Yes, you are right in that respect. and I will definitely try to keep doing updates more often than we have.

Thanks.