iPhone Spectromancer HD - by Three Donkeys

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by sladeums, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Thanks for the replies everybody. Sounds good.

2. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    I think so, though I don't know for sure.

Dang it, only played two online games and it was fun. Very easy to learn. I know these guys have high res assets (see their website), so I hope they work those in. I'd still love asynchronous gameplay; it would definitely work, ala Carcassonne.

3. soldat7

Jul 12, 2011
    I'm completely hooked on this game. It's fantastic.

4. SirFobos

SirFobos Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2012
    Police Officer
    Kansas City
    Can't find this in the store for iPhone. Anyone else having any luck?

5. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2012
    Yes, I'd love the ability to select and play asnyc games too, though so far the online real time experience playing live games seems pretty solid.

6. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2012
    Also, I know I'm in the minority here, but I actually preferred the slightly gothic conceptual art of Kard Combat to the more childlike mainstream fantasy art of Spectromancer. But for me that's the only negative comparison to Kard Combat, and overall Spectromancer is a very polished initial release.

7. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    What are the differences between this and Kard Combat?

-Art Style.
    -Spectromancer has 6 additional classes.
    -Spectromancer has League and Draft Tournaments you can play even against just AI.

Other than maybe a bit of a different presentation, I gather this game's campaign is pretty similar to KC's Tower Mode, right? Was I right in remembering KC's Tower mode was always the same enemies in the same order with the same rewards (i.e. didn't vary from paly through to paly through)?

Back to just Spectromancer, but am I alone in finding the campaign the weakest link of the solo play? You're always going through the same set of challenges and can replay each one until you win. At least winning or losing in the tournaments really carries some weight.

Am I also right that the game doesn't track any sort of meta stats for the tournaments?

8. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    While not 100% certain, I'm going to assume this modifies when you ever choose "Random" for type of wizard for you or your AI opponent. It can choose from all available classes, or you could be as weird to have random ONLY choose Beast Master everytime (but if this is the case why even pretend to use the random selector?). :rolleyes:

9. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    If this one has async MP I am buying right away

10. fastspinecho

fastspinecho Active Member

Mar 2, 2012
    I'm not so sure they do. Every time you play the PC game, you have to choose between a playing in 1024x768 window, big black bars, or "stretch to fit screen".

11. soldat7

Jul 12, 2011
    #51 soldat7, Aug 28, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
    Normally I'm right there with you, and while asynchronous would be super rad, the game doesn't suffer too much without it. A 10 minute toilet break will net you about 2 games (verified).

The big downside is rolling with the usual Ascension/Carc/etc. crew doesn't seem as likely. I really hope they add asynchronous! The game is still worth a purchase, though.

Check this out on your iPad 3: http://spectromancer.com/cardlist_en.htm

I wish they looked that sharp in-game!

12. SirFobos

SirFobos Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2012
    Police Officer
    Kansas City
    Boo iPhone version is not available in the US app store. Hopefully it shows up tonight. Can't wait to play.

13. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    I adore Spectromancer.

14. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    Oh well, Lost Cities is also very good with pseudo-async. Oh well, this captures my heart these days. Will consider this some time this week.

15. ducksFANjason

ducksFANjason Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2012
    E-Discovery data technician
    Southern California
    Hey guys, I'm thinking about picking this up and I noticed that someone pointed out that the ipad version is different from the iphone, but there were no specifics on that. Anyone care to elaborate? Is it just the layout that's different or are there other features? I'd like the gorgeous ipad graphics but wouldn't mind the portability of having this in my pocket also...

16. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    #56 tops2, Aug 28, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
    From Spectromancer's forum..someone asked:
    The reply was:

For those that have the ipad version or maybe the pc version..what's the "training" and "observing" functions?

17. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Is that the "Replay" mode where you watch a replay of your last game, not sure.

18. Faeryan

Faeryan Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Finland
    Finally the game got available in my area.
    Only now I noticed how terrible the Info text on the AppStore was.
    If I didn't know this game I certainly wouldn't buy it with that text and those screenshots.

19. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    Played 3 games last night against AI, pretty good game.

Like Kard Combat with better (?) and sharper graphics, but just that the "card" is too small.

The buttons on iPad are too small and mysterious white band shows at the bottom on the screen when the keyboard pops up.

So far, stable and fun.

Not digging the campaign yet -- KC bored me and the one in Orions is broken. Fingers crossed.

20. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    The League and Draft Tournaments (using a draft system almost identical to Nightfall's) are where it's at, even vs. the AI.