iPhone Spectromancer HD - by Three Donkeys

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by sladeums, Aug 26, 2012.

1. clover101

clover101 New Member

Aug 29, 2012
    very nice, keep up good work

2. blebhertz

blebhertz Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Please is there a difference between the ipad/iphone version? I prefer to play it on the iphone, but if it plays better i will buy the ipad version instead. Please help i love Kard Combat and i don't usually like card games!

3. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    It has a different interface on the iPhone, more akin to Kard Combat. You can always buy the iPhone version and play it on both! They're each very solid implementations. I just got both.

4. blebhertz

blebhertz Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2010
    but that means i will have to buy the IAP for both version too. That can be pretty pricey

5. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    So does the abandoned Kard Combat hold anything worth consideration IF I'm enjoying this implementation?

6. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    #66 soldat7, Aug 30, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
    Kard Combat is a sore spot for many of us because it's a lot of fun but riddled with ads, no contact from the developer, and no updates in a very long time. It's basically a reskin of Spectromancer (including Richard Garfield's blessing) and has a great theme, but appears abandoned. It's a good game that includes a single player campaign and asynchronous multiplayer. YMMV.

This is true, but the PC version is like $20. For $14 you get everything for iOS. Not ideal, but still OK (and worth it, if you like the game.)

Also, it's better than the Dominion and Thundstone debacles!

7. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2012
    The one thing Kard Combat has over Spectromancer is async play. Spectromancer's real time play is very slick and finding an opponent has never been an issue, but even then the lack of async is still an issue for me.

8. Johneson2

Johneson2 New Member

Aug 30, 2012
    Thanks for share this..

9. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    Unfortunately this suffers from a horrible bug. In Campaign mode I quit half way through a battle (by quit I mean turned off my iPad to sleep) and next time I played, I had a go at the "League". Returning to campaign it takes me to the battle I quit on but when this ends, it corrupts the screen display then takes me to the main menu. I can reload the campaign but same thing happens - therefore I have had to restart the entire campaign mode again.

Jamie

10. Estarh

Estarh Member

Aug 31, 2012
    #70 Estarh, Aug 31, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
    There are more features in iPad version comparing with iPhone version:

1) It is possible to save replays after duel is played and to view these replays later.
    2) Possibility to play trainings in the online league.
    3) Possibility to observe duels of another players.
    4) It is possible to play online tournaments. iPhone version allows to play only offline draft tournaments versus AI. iPad version allows to play both offline and online draft tournaments.
    5) Hotseat support.
    6) LAN support.
    7) It is possible to customize random class. For example player can chose something like "any class except necromancer".
    8) There is a different interface. Interface of iPad version use landscape orientation and is similar to PC version interface, interface of iPhone version use portrait orientation and is similar to Kard Combat interface.

11. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Okay, my bad, those are some significant differences but at least the core gameplay, number of classes, and campaign stuff is the same. To be honest I would have assumed the online league stuff would work on iPhone as well, bizarre oversight by devs.

12. JazzFish

JazzFish Active Member

What Estarh's referring to is "draft tournaments" which lets you draft your cards from a pool. The normal online league is still available in the iPhone version.

13. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Ahh, okay. Makes a bit more sense, I guess.

14. JaysUsernam

JaysUsernam Active Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Jambo, Im with you...I much prefer Kard Combat's art (cheesy menus not included). Add that to the Asynch play and I am sticking with KC for now.
    (although the concept of tournaments is quite appealing)

15. Great summary. Yes main difference to me is when you are choosing on iphone card to play it displays details and you have to close it sometimes to remember the playing field. This is a non-issue with ipad as it let's you see everything all at once.

Campaign mode on ipad has at least six save slots and perhaps more...I'm guessing up to 12 or more that you can have. On iphone there is only one campaign you can play at once and if you wish to play a different mage in campaign you need to start fresh I believe.

Basically for iphone I'll use it to play single duels and on the ipad campaign mode and online eventually.

16. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2012
    Couple of suggestions for potential future updates:

1. Can we have "Against you" stats included in the pop up when you look at the player profiles on the server? This would be a great addition for vs friends matches and it seems it's already possible to do this on the PC.

2. Can we have an option to save single player draft tournaments? We can save campaigns, we can save League of Heroes, but we can't currently save draft tournaments.

3. Option to chat and to offer a rematch after a game finishes? Currently the game just ports you straight back to the main server when someone wins.

17. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Not sure if the dev visits here. Try posting the suggestions on their forums as well. I did see them respond from time to time there.

18. Espekayen

Espekayen Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Hertfordshire, UK
    It's a shame the developer has chosen not to participate in this thread or the other iPhone thread. I hope they are at least reading it.

19. Estarh

Estarh Member

Aug 31, 2012
    Don't worry, there are developers here.

There are some technical difficulties with it, so most probably this feature will not be implemented in future.

Yes. Such feature will be implemented in next iPad version (actually it already exist in current iPhone version).

We don't plan to implement such feature since we would rather prefer players duel with different opponents than playing in constant pairs.

20. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2012
    Hi Estarh!

Thanks for the responses. Pity about the first one - that would have been fun. Cool about the second one, and understand the last one. It would still be nice to chat though, to be able to discuss the match or just say gg.