iPhone Spellcraft - Collectable Card Game - by Three Goblins Ltd

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by sladeums, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Sheinfell

Sheinfell Well-Known Member

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    Thanks ;) Weird, then an iOS version incompatibility issue is out of the picture for now, at least for explaining the "invite failed" bug we two get.

Yep, I only use Gamecenter for Spellcraft, too :p

As Steve said, setting up your own server is a huge monetary and time effort when you plan to use it not only for you and your three friends, but for a bigger audience.
    You have to add in redundancy for everything, and I really mean everything: internet connection, harddrives, processors, RAM, you name it.

Getting somewhat technical here, but trying to keep it on a high level:
    I would run a cluster of at least 2 servers, depending on how much performance you need. So even if one server goes belly-up, you still have another 1+ running, providing your service.
    Then you need a failover machine, ideally in a different location. In case of a total outage on your main location, say power or internet loss.
    All machines need to be backed up regularly; you need monitoring on them so you see that something broke or is about to break.
    Add security (firewalls, virus scanners, etc.).
    And suddenly you face a huge investment in time, money and continual support/maintenance...

And if you outsource it, e.g. make use of Amazon's cloud services, it still does not come cheap.
    All it does then is take alot of worries away from you, but you pay for the fact that someone else does all the "techie" stuff for you.

Gamecenter is huge, don't forget that. I bet it has a nice big corner in Apple's Datacenters.
    And while it is small compared to the gigantic amount of data that is on the Appstore, adding something like chat (which would be damn cool, admitted) also means alot of investment. And if you have textchat, people sooner or later will want voice and video chat too.
    On top of that come potential legal issues: a rightfully enraged mom sueing Apple cause some sicko showed her 7 year old daughter his "package" on "My little Pony video chat" ? You bet.

2. Lechatcurieux

Lechatcurieux Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2012
    London
    I understand what you are saying, but there must be a way to do it. Obviously it's a player to player game, so if people can't get to play other people there's only so long they will hang around playing the AI (which does become predictable).

In my opinion all the other stuff seems like small stuff! What about a kickstarter account or something? Joining forces and sharing servers with another game? I don't know.....

Okay two buggy things I found....

Not important....the purple card Deeper Darkness acts weird. I THINK it should have a zero attack strength, although I'm sure sometimes it seems to attack.

More important....I clicked on the treasure chest today to buy some coins. When I click on the gold bullion bars it briefly says Opening Vault then takes me to a blank page.

3. Steve at ThreeGoblins

Steve at ThreeGoblins Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Game Designer and Teacher
    Tokyo
    Hello there,

The iPhone version should bring a lot more opponents. Unfortunately, the nature of these games means they take a while to seep into the game community.

These are early days and the next release could almost be considered the "real beginning".

Also, what threw me is that most people seem to actually want 1-player only, in these days of instant and throwaway entertainment....
    I really didn't predict that. We will do what we can to get people into 2-player of course.

Thankfully, neither of your bugs are bugs I think, so can be squashed now :

(1) Deeper Darkness has strength 1, so will bite back if attacked. It will never march across the battlefield of its own accord though, as it's a barrier.

(2) Opening the gold vault needs a connection to the App Store. I wonder therefore if you were away from an Internet connection at the time you tried it ? That's the only explanation I can find really.

Hope that helps
    Steve @ ThreeGoblins

4. Steve at ThreeGoblins

Sep 10, 2012
    Tokyo
    We are looking for Beta testers for the new version, if anyone is interested.

It doesn't need to be that intense as we've already been testing it a lot and the release isn't far away, but every little helps.

If interested just email us your unique device ID. You can find this in various ways, but the easiest is to get a tiny free app called UDID Tool. It even builds the email for you , ready to send to us.

Address to send to is [email protected]

Steve @ ThreeGoblins

5. Lechatcurieux

Sep 12, 2012
    London
    Yeah the attacking system still befuddles me sometimes. I definitely had connection when I went to the store, it's working now (cute that it plays the victory music when you buy lol).

Re beta testing, are you talking iPads or iPhones? I'll send udids now either way...

6. Steve at ThreeGoblins

Sep 10, 2012
    Tokyo
    Testing is for either iPhone or iPad. iPhone would be particularly handy!

Cheers
    Steve, Three Goblins

7. Sheinfell

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    Only iPad here for testing, but I will send you my UDID anyways.
    Just be advised that my schedule is rather erratic, so I do not know how much time I can invest.

Oh, and very important question:
    Will the test version in any way interfere with the "official" one? Don't want anything to get messed up...

8. Lechatcurieux

Sep 12, 2012
    London
    Sheinfell...they let ME do some testing!! To answer your question, everything I had is still intact but I can only speak for myself.

CANNOT WAIT TO PLAY YOU!! vV excited :D :D

9. Sheinfell

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    go ahead, curious cat! :)
    My available time shrank to depressingly small amounts, after coming back to work after 2 weeks. Will need a few very busy days to catch up, cleanup mailbox etc. :(

10. markturner_goblin

markturner_goblin Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2012
    Hi Sheinfell,

You will need another device that does not have your real spellcraft on if you want to install the new beta version.

11. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    I sent you an email Steve!

12. Sheinfell

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    Awh, then I am out of testing, sorry. Only have my iPad2 available.

13. markturner_goblin

markturner_goblin Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2012
    Hi,

I was wrong about it needing to be on a seperate device.You can overite your original game and still keep your collection. Contact [email protected] if you still want to test it .Did you recieve any emails about it from Mike ,our goblin engineer?

14. Sheinfell

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    Yep, just checked, I actually got 4 emails from him, with different versions to test.
    And I didn't make it to try any of the versions, shows how much time I had to do anything over the last few days :(
    I *might* get around to doing some things tomorrow and over the weekend, but no promises in light of my busy schedule since start of the week.

15. Lechatcurieux

Sep 12, 2012
    London
    Only four!! :)
    That's why we are testing. The goblins churn out a version, then we all pick holes in it and they have to go back into their caves and do it all again. Poor goblins.

The solution is, go and buy and iphone, then you can play at work by stealth!

16. Mack the Knife

Mack the Knife Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    [​IMG]

tic toc tic toc....

17. Steve at ThreeGoblins

Sep 10, 2012
    Tokyo
  18. Mack the Knife

Mack the Knife Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    #238 Mack the Knife, Dec 16, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
    [​IMG]It's in the app store!! Thanks guys!!![​IMG]

19. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Yep thanks! Didn't see this thread updated, but decided to check the App Store and there it is! Great!

20. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Ps anyone wanna post this up in the iPhone section feel free. I don't think it's gone there yet. Will get more attention there. I would but on phone and nfi how to post it up with that app description page and link, so if I'd tried it would just look fugly.