iPhone Spellcraft - Collectable Card Game - by Three Goblins Ltd

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by sladeums, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Steve at ThreeGoblins

Steve at ThreeGoblins Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Game Designer and Teacher
    Tokyo
    It does and it will get one. It's now my personal highest priority need on the list.
    Hoping to get in into the update after this next one.

The very next update, which is any day now, is really about clearing up a few odd problems, letting people play offline even if iCloud goes mad again, minor rebalancing of some cards, few more art improvements, and knocking 200Mb off the App Size!

Steve @ ThreeGoblins
    http://www.spellcraft-ccg.com/

2. Lechatcurieux

Lechatcurieux Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2012
    London
    "Uhm... put cards over cards? Well.... nobody told me... "

I'm actually glad it wasn't just me!! If you click on News, then Tutorial, I think it was in there?

(Steve, I don't think the tutorial is active at the moment, I've just got the first page of it. I'll email Mike as well).

V dont feel bad. I only found out about a week ago that elusive (mobile) cards can swap places, just shows you are always learning here. I had a suspicion when you said you ran out of cards then I saw you throwing loads away and thought 'why is he not playing those'.

One quick thing, at one point you had a Lost card (which you had 'fiffered' off me lol), and you had the choice to Lose either my owl or my unicorn. Bear in mind my unicorn is going to give me those three lives back EVERY time he re-enters play, so by choosing him you gave me a gift of three points.

I love that by game three I was sitting there looking at some of my own little trick layouts and thinking 'uh-huh....quick learner!'.

I cannot wait for in game chat, although I'm not sure certain players will want to hear exactly what I am saying! (Mainly Mark Goblin who I scream at all the time. He's a complete bloody nuisance to play against and ruins all my cool moves lol).

3. Lechatcurieux

Sep 12, 2012
    London
    I'm around later if you want to invite, I've got black and purple ready. It's my 50/50 deck, half the time it's amazing, the rest it's an epic fail. I need to tweak.

Hope none of the others are reading my tips for you or Im buggered lol. Remember to read a few pages back about quick cards/end turn/attack. (I still forget to press end turn too!).

4. Steve at ThreeGoblins

Sep 10, 2012
    Tokyo
    "Uhm... put cards over cards? Well.... nobody told me... "

It's something that new players don't seem to guess at or try, possibly because its not used by many other card games.
    But it's something people don't forget once they've seen it used against them!
    It is a key tactic.

It's so important, it is actually stated on the very first page of the manual (in-game from Settings or website) which I recommend to anyone with more than a passing interest in the game. I took great pains to make it waffle-free and contain only essential information.

I think it's our fault for not letting the AI use it too, so new players don't see it until 2-player. It will eventually once I get round to tuning it.

Steve @ ThreeGoblins

5. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #385 Vovin, Jan 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2013

Huh? I've read that manual. How could I miss this? :rolleyes:

Anyway... Steve, I've got my bacon handed over several times by LeChatCurieux. In the third game, I got her down to 1 life point while I still had around 14 life points, when suddenly in just two rounds it went bam-bam! and I was stone dead. Who's gonna pay my psychatrist now? ;)

Well, I bought two 40-card and one 10-card swamp booster, a 40-card and a 10-card Underground booster and now I can't decide if I should take more of that or if I should get a few small Fire, Ocean and Forest booster to have a better mix? Or is it better to concentrate on 2 factions first?

Just wait, I am already heavily tweaking my deck to get it more fluid.

Say, which creature / other card-ratio do you prefer? 50/50 or should I rely more on creatures?
    I know that it depends on the deck type, but is there a general rule?

I'll also promise to read this complete thread as soon as I have more time to care.

6. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Right there, the AI doesn't do this!?

If I never see the AI, who is kicking my ass early on, use a tactic why should I ever think I could do it?

I want an AI that plays by the same rules I do, so no cheating either for or against me if possible.

7. Sheinfell

Sheinfell Well-Known Member

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    Hard to say, but I normally go with at least 50% creatures.

You *can* build a viable deck without any creature cards (e.g. only using barriers, and maybe spells that produce creatures/barriers), but that makes it bloody hard to win, because other means to damage your opponent are still quite limited. If your opponent has a bunch of life-restore hidden somewhere (say hello to the Unicorns), you are in trouble indeed.

If you want to give it a shot, try getting the "zero forces" achievement. It should be a bit easier now, because the Swamp faction also offers direct life damage. For added fun, try it without using Swamp. Gave me a serious headache back then... and I only did it against the AI; against a human player this is rather insane.

8. Lechatcurieux

Sep 12, 2012
    London
    Lol Steve I re-read the manual before I posted, just in case. I still missed it :p

9. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #389 Vovin, Jan 4, 2013
    Uh, game just disconnected two times and told me I've won?
    Ok, I am soon at home withy wifi, should be more stable there.

Hey, Lechatcurieux, saw that? Thowing away a vapour first turn and ressurecting it stronger for cheap? ;)

10. Lechatcurieux

Sep 12, 2012
    London
    Sheinfell I don't think I even got the zero forces achievement, how about showing us a deck in the showcase.

I'm the same, 40 minions, 40% defence and the rest in tricks and the rest in enhancements/tricks.

11. Lechatcurieux

Sep 12, 2012
    London
    Yeah the connection bombed, I surrendered the first one to shove you up the ranks a bit, the second one was a typical loss of wifi where we both got a win screen....yay.

And yes, I did notice your new trick, I invented that as my signature move lol.

You should add Sheinfell (null zone). He's too busy to ever hang around for more than one match at a time (has a baby goblin) but he's interesting to watch.

Actually, we should set him a challenge, tie his hands behind his back a little until you have a little more experience.....Sheinfell, do you think you could beat Vovin using a deck with NO 4 or 5 cost cards?

OH.... We should capture some of these games and have a YouTube channel, I'd love to watch other people's games!!

12. Steve at ThreeGoblins

Sep 10, 2012
    Tokyo
    It doesn't use it yet for the simple reason it was deceptively difficult to make the AI do it smartly in time for release, what with everything we had to do. But it will.
    I am 100% sure of it because I'm working on it myself.

The AI does use the same play rules as the player. There is no cheating, fudging, peaking or anything else. It's just a little hampered by not being able to do this one thing yet. But it will do, soon.

Note: It doesn't have to follow deck design limits though, at higher levels: eg it can use more than 4 copies of a card and even more than 2 factions.

If we want to discuss the AI used at either a game or academic level I am happy to speak with you about it. It's my 'thing' and I am happy to geek on all day about it! :)

Steve @ThreeGoblins

13. Lechatcurieux

Sep 12, 2012
    London
    Aha...that's one of the reasons we have this forum and our captive Goblin Steve.

Honestly, so far everything we've suggested.....he wanders away mumbling and then it gets done!! Great service or what!!?

Steve Goblin is, I think, a giver more than a taker.

*sniggering*

14. Sheinfell

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    #394 Sheinfell, Jan 4, 2013
    That was part of the December 2012 update, if I remember right. But I cannot find the update notice anymore where I read it . Btw, that feature is great, opens a whole new nasty range of possibilities.
    Someone will come up with a *really* evil use for the card that gives one of your creatures elusive, I bet :p

I sent all my decks for the more interesting achievements to the Goblins a good while back. As they put only one up, I'd guess they did not want to spoil the fun for others :p

Oh, and I changed my GC handle to Sheinfell. Originally in the hope to get GC unstuck (still listed as campaign lvl 43 , which starts to bother me; and my multiplayer points also play odd) , but then I just left it at that.

15. Sheinfell

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    I am actually working on a deck for exactly that, only creatures with cost 3 and below. Let's just say it does not work out well so far...
    But you gave me an idea, let me play around a bit and see what I can come up with.
    Only cards with cost 3 and below. All cards, not just creatures.

@Goblins: Capturing screen content is a major hassle. Can I add that to my wishlist for the Easter Were-Goblin/Bunny? Game capture and replay built into the app directly.

16. Lechatcurieux

Sep 12, 2012
    London
    I'm going to build a 0-3 only deck too.

And I'm stuck on GC level, the goblins know about it so I'd imagine it will be sorted soon enough.

17. Lechatcurieux

Sep 12, 2012
    London
    Sorry to be a div, but can we upload images here? If so, this was in my bath.

Testing testing....

Attached Files:

18. Steve at ThreeGoblins

Sep 10, 2012
    Tokyo
    Blimey, did it use Elusive?

19. Steve at ThreeGoblins

Sep 10, 2012
    Tokyo
    Pressing both buttons at once does a screenshot, or have I missed your point?

Steve

20. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Didn’t we just played a game Sheinfell? Good game.