iPhone Spellcraft - Collectable Card Game - by Three Goblins Ltd

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by sladeums, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Mike@ThreeGoblins

Mike@ThreeGoblins Active Member

Jan 7, 2013
    Co-Founder, ThreeGoblins Ltd
    France
    Double Gold!

Hi everyone, hope you've all upgraded to 2.3 and are making full use of the chat system ;)

Coming up next weekend, we have a long weekend Gold Extravaganza!
    Win DOUBLE GOLD in games through all day Friday to midnight Monday eve!

You'll receive a Notification telling you when it starts, just tap the notification to open Spellcraft and receive increased gold for wins (both single player and two player) :)

If you haven't already, you might also want to follow/like us:
    On Twitter
    On Facebook

2. Mack the Knife

Mack the Knife Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    #782 Mack the Knife, Feb 18, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
    mike, explain to someone who doesn't understand (nor wants to) all this game center stuff.
    if i am at home this Saturday playing a single player game against the AI and not connected to any server (wifi off) how would i get increased gold? i have to somehow be playing on line but how (or why) do you play single player on line? therefore, please explain your statement "and receive increased gold for wins (both in single player...)" thanks!

3. Zenfar

Zenfar Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Male
    Developer
    http://www.zenfar.com
    Love Building Decks

I have a good Red/Blue deck but the AI still beats me sometimes when I go up against Blue. Still think I would get killed in multiplayer:eek:

4. Tricky.Trey

Tricky.Trey New Member

Feb 18, 2013
    Seattle, USA
    Thanks Goblins

Hey SC Forum,

Tricky.Trey (aka Squirrel) here. Just wanted to say thanks to the Goblins for a great game. You guys have obviously worked incredibly hard to create a fun gaming experience. The gameplay is smooth, AI is intelligent, the artwork is beautiful, and the soundtrack is enjoyable. I'm looking forward to campaign mode.

And BTW, Lechatcurieux exaggerates: I don't believe she had more than 23 health when I had 2... and STILL WON. :p

5. Lechatcurieux

Lechatcurieux Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2012
    London
    Oh Zen just have a go. It's the best way to learn tricks and find ways to develop your decks. You have nothing to lose and when you beat a higher level player you'll get the achievement, rank and gold!

It's all a but of fun. Look at me, I'm meant to be one of the higher rank players and I just got duffed up by a squirrel!! (Hi Trey!!).

What is your game centre name, I'll send you an invite?

6. Mike@ThreeGoblins

Jan 7, 2013
    France
    Golden fun

LOL at Lechatcurieux and Squirrel, a glorious win! :D

Zenfar there must be some other players around who you will get a good game from, plus you never know what deck they will choose and they might have made a bad choice against your deck :)

7. Mike@ThreeGoblins

Jan 7, 2013
    France
    Actual golden fun

You don't need to be online to play against the AI and to win gold as a result. You can play against the AI anytime offline and still increase your gold.

When you win an achievement, that needs to be posted to Game Center in order to complete the achievement and gain the gold for it (this is so the achievement shows up in Game Center so others can see it).

If you increase your Level while playing the AI, Spellcraft will just tell Game Center in the background whenever you are back online.

Note that the gold is entirely a Spellcraft concept, and it doesn't need Game Center at all. The mechanism for increasing the winning gold amounts is that we send out a push notification (essentially a message, much like an SMS) to all the players. You need to tap on that message so that Spellcraft launches and reads it, and then Spellcraft knows that it should double your gold until Monday evening (midnight).

I hope that helps explain a little about how it works without being too boring! :)

8. Mack the Knife

Jun 21, 2012
    thanks mike, one last question. when i first installed the game i'm sure i said no if it asked me to allow push notifications. do i have to turn this on in settings in order to take advantage of the double gold this weekend?

9. Mike@ThreeGoblins

Jan 7, 2013
    France
    You do need Push Notifications switched ON

Yes! :)

Thanks Mack that is an important point - ONLY people with push notifications on will receive the message and have the extra gold mode activated.

We have publicised that on Facebook and Twitter but it needs to be more explicit - thanks for the question!

10. NuMystic

NuMystic Member

Nov 19, 2009

What is a "Jungle" aura??? That's not one of the fractions????

Fire, forest, ocean, underworld, and swamp is all I can see?

11. markturner_goblin

markturner_goblin Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2012
    The jungle faction is not out yet but will be next to fire and underworld on the map.Jungle will have very large minions(dinosaur size) and many traps amoung other things, but the air faction is coming next.

12. Steve at ThreeGoblins

Steve at ThreeGoblins Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Game Designer and Teacher
    Tokyo
    It's one of the many future factions. You can probably guess them and their locations by looking at the main the map.

Steve @ ThreeGoblins

13. NuMystic

NuMystic Member

Nov 19, 2009
    Guh. So 1/3 of the card's value won't even be realized until you get around to releasing that faction.

Really hope there aren't a lot more cards like that.

In the future I'd suggest leaving off text that alludes to unreleased elements until they are actually relevant. You could then release the upgraded cards with the update when those factions are released.

Just a thought.

14. Steve at ThreeGoblins

Steve at ThreeGoblins Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Game Designer and Teacher
    Tokyo
    #794 Steve at ThreeGoblins, Feb 23, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2013

Hello NuMystic,

Thanks for your comments.

Think of it as gaining extra value at some point in the future. Essentially all of the other cards will.

Bear in mind that all the current cards have already designed with future cards in mind, since those cards do exist already, albeit not in the public version.
    It is why some cards, at the moment, might seem a bit odd or a bit too useful. That will change later when you've got so much more to choose from.

It wouldn't be good practice, I think, to keep re-editing cards to make them more/less compatible with later releases as each faction is released. It would be both horrible for the player and us, to juggle so many changes.

Sometimes, however, we do have to tweak cards and that can't be avoided. But I strive to avoid it whenever possible.

From memory I think is the only card that references a future set. But I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to add more.

Steve@ThreeGoblins

15. Mack the Knife

Jun 21, 2012
    sigh...talk about making a mountain out of a mole hill.

16. NuMystic

NuMystic Member

Nov 19, 2009
    They've actively solicited feedback, and I'm here taking the time to offer it. Didn't see anyone actively soliciting obnoxiousness so what's your excuse?

17. NuMystic

NuMystic Member

Nov 19, 2009
    That's exactly how everyone would have thought of it if it was a feature added when the Jungle faction was released, as opposed to an existing value currently unusable until later features are added.

I've been active with CCG's for decades and have never seen a game that had cards with an ability that couldn't be used until a future edition came out.

It's far worse practice to have rules and effects on cards that there is no reference to anywhere else in the manual or game as that only creates confusion with players.

I speak from 15 years as a M:tG play tester. At WotC this is one of the single most important things they're looking for in game testing after card balance.

When I came across the Jungle reference I spent a full 30 minutes going through every single card in all 5 factions trying to locate what it was referencing under the assumption that it must surely have something to connect with in game, since there is no reference to a Jungle faction even being planned in-app.

Given the choice between that result, or having to upgrade a card in a very rare instance like this, every major CCG publisher has gone with the latter. An even more troublesome thing to do in the printed game world, and only a comparatively trivial matter in the digital.

What you do with the feedback is entirely up to you, but I thought it was worth bringing to your attention in any case.

18. markturner_goblin

markturner_goblin Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2012
    Yes, It may be good to not mention factions that are not currently out yet on other cards. Thanks for your comments NuMystic.

19. Lechatcurieux

Sep 12, 2012
    London
    #799 Lechatcurieux, Feb 25, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
    Hello NuMystic and welcome to the forum.

The Goblins love a bit of feedback and everyone's opinion is valid here. Mack wasn't being obnoxious, I think he just put on his feisty pants this morning, he's a big fluffy bunny when you get to know him :p

You are right, the Jungle faction isn't yet mentioned in the News section, I guess we are all familiar as we have discussed it a lot here on the forum.

Nice to meet you, please add me (Lechatcurieux) in game centre and we can have some online games.

Mack, when are we going to have a game and a chat??? I'm not going to give up asking so you may aswell just do it x

20. Lechatcurieux

Sep 12, 2012
    London
    Goblins maybe in a future update the map areas could be highlighted with something like "Jungle.....Coming soon".

Out of interest NuMystic, how did you come to find the forum?