iPhone Spellcraft - Collectable Card Game - by Three Goblins Ltd

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by sladeums, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Mack the Knife

Mack the Knife Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    #121 Mack the Knife, Sep 18, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
    ok, i just confirmed that a you CANNOT restore an individual app from an iCloud backup. so steve, or someone, please explain this:

1. i have built 3 new decks on Spellcraft, I have reached level 4, I have purchased 1000 gold and have 400 left

2. i backup my ipad2 using iCloud

3. i Xccidently uninstall Spellcraft (drat!)

4. how do i get it back with the 3 decks, 400 gold, and level 4 - just like it was in step 1

THANKS

2. Steve at ThreeGoblins

Steve at ThreeGoblins Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Game Designer and Teacher
    Tokyo
    You would do a step 5 :

5: restore your iPad from iCloud. It then continue from the point you last backed it up, cards, gold, saved decks. I've done it myself, for Spellcraft and other Apps too.

Anyways, when the server comes, this won't be relevant anymore. But just for now if you find you accidentally delete it, or throw your iPad out the window :p

If you have any problems with this, best to contact support via the website, for a more technical and probably better explanation than I can offer.

Discussions about cards, general gameplay, AI, strategy and such are more my area.

Regards
    Steve, ThreeGoblins

3. Mack the Knife

Jun 21, 2012
    thanks steve and i'll drop this after i say one last thing and i'll also email Mike

"restore your iPad from iCloud" means everything gets restored. it is my understanding that you cannot restore just one app as you implied by saying "I've done it myself, for Spellcraft and other Apps too".

i wish someone would definitely tell me one way or another: can you restore 1 app from an iCloud backup, just the one you want. i say no.

4. Steve at ThreeGoblins

Sep 10, 2012
    Tokyo
    Mm Perhaps I used clumsy language, sorry. You can't just backup 1 app ,no.
    Backup copies a snapshot of your entire device,
    Restore sticks that snapshot back onto your device.

I mean like this : I was doing some important design work last month and was worried about losing it, so I did a backup just to be on the safe side.

Steve, ThreeGoblins

5. Mack the Knife

Jun 21, 2012
    thanks, that's what i thought. so if i uninstall Spellcraft by accident i have to restore my entire device just to get it back. bummer...well, as you say, this will all be moot (i hope) when you get your backup scheme in place.

6. Sheinfell

Sheinfell Well-Known Member

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    I am still wondering how other apps do that. Namely Infinity Blade2 uses iCloud for savegame storage. And I think Dangerous does, too. For Dangerous, I will check with the developer (he is the one I mentioned earlier), maybe they are willing to share their approach.
    That would save our 3 Goblins the fuss of setting up, maintaining and paying their own server.

7. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    Hat

This is what I suggested way back! Use iCloud for game backup and device synch. It is certainly possible though I have heard it's problematic to implement...

Jamie

8. Sheinfell

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    Totally forgot another approach, because I saw it only once so far:
    TheQuest allows you to individually backup your savegames to a computer via iTunes, the interface for that even was integrated into it.
    Until they did that, I had no clue this was even possible.

9. Mack the Knife

Jun 21, 2012
    hey steve, not complaining but just to illustrate you guys should probably take a look at this, i saw this comment on another site. granted the guy was a bumpkin but here's the way he put it "also zooming in on cards is clunky".

10. Steve at ThreeGoblins

Sep 10, 2012
    Tokyo
    Yeah we're on it.
    Finally able to reproduce what people have been saying - it just needs to be made less sensitive. We were so used to doing really quick single taps. If you jab it real quick, it works perfectly . It will be changed in next update.

Steve
    ThreeGoblins
    http://www.spellcraft-ccg.com/

11. Mack the Knife

Jun 21, 2012
    #131 Mack the Knife, Sep 19, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
    hmm, i am now doing it really quick as that's what a tap is, right? i use a stylus and i just do a brief, light tap and it doesn't always respond. if i were to guess the problem i would tell you to increase the sensitivity a little, but you're decreasing it....oh well, you know more about it than i do :D

12. Lechatcurieux

Lechatcurieux Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2012
    London
    Mack don't forget there's a difference between restoring from back up as Steve explained, and restoring your device (ie restoring to factory settings and wiping everything).

I made that mistake before, it was fine as I then restored from cloud backup but it took a couple of hours.

Back up to the cloud regularly and I've found if I ever delete something by accident, restoring from my last cloud backup takes just a few seconds and everything is back how it was.

13. Mack the Knife

Jun 21, 2012
    thanks Lechatcurieux, i missed that or still don't understand it. i back up to my PC (iTunes) AND to icloud. i have never restored from icloud but i thought the icloud backup was to restore your device. meaning, your ipad fails to boot up, apple gives you a new one, you restore from icloud (factory settings and all, a FULL restore). also, it seems iTunes backs up the app when it is new, but subsequent back ups do not copy changes (IAP's, new cards, new decks, save game progress).

your comment implies you can restore individual apps and from what i've read, you can't. BUT, are you saying if factory settings are still on your ipad and all your apps except one are there, restoring from icloud just restores just that one app?

one last thing that confuses me. i have about 100 apps and my icloud backup is only 300 megs. either the backup is ultra compressed or again, i'm not understanding something.

14. Sheinfell

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    iCloud saving

@Steve: Mind PMing me an email address where I can reach you?
    I got a good and detailed answer from Linh, the Dangerous developer, about their approach.
    Unfortunately they do not use iCloud, as they needed a cross-platform solution.
    But he gives a few good starting points, which might be of interest to you.
    And forwarding the whole shebang is easier than fuzzing with copy/pasting it into here ;)

15. Hero211

Hero211 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2012
    Please update to retina display for iPad 3 game would be amazing with it!

16. Steve at ThreeGoblins

Sep 10, 2012
    Tokyo
    Hello Hero,

Thanks for your comment.

A lot of the game is already in Retina, certainly where HD was helpful , such as screens with lots of information, the main game screen , etc

I believe the zoomed images are not - this is because the game would be too massive and memory intensive once we release all 500 or so cards.
    Did he just say 500 ? :eek:
    It's simply not viable for such a huge game to have all *secondary* images in retina:
    The choice was more cards or slightly better imagery on the occasions when you zoom on a card?
    We chose: more cards.

Cheers
    Steve, ThreeGoblins

17. Mack the Knife

Jun 21, 2012
    hey steve, first a compliment to butter you up then a question. you probably know the Magic 2013 expansion came out. i didn't buy it but i have the game and decided i'd play it again. i mean it looks nice but it plays sooo slow and there are just too many cards to manage that, for me, it simply is not fun! your game, on the other hand, plays quick, gives me a wide variety of options, and has a very manageable card array. while it's a chore in Magic trying to figure out which "are the best 60 (freaking) cards", your deck manager is a breeze and combining decks is a snap.

so, speaking of cards (and you mentioned it above too!), when do you think we might see the undead? i won't hold you to it, just a hint as to when: a week, a month, a couple of months? i'm debating whether to buy some rare cards now or hold off and get a bunch of the undead cards.

18. Steve at ThreeGoblins

Sep 10, 2012
    Tokyo
    Hello Mack,

Thanks for the kind words.

Actually I totally agree with you about Magic on the iPad. To anyone that thinks this is bias talking, let me say I've been playing Magic, the real card game since Arabian Nights, shortly after the Beta edition cards.

But in the iPad version, I found attacking rather a chore . But I think that's just how Magic must play put on a device, as it needs stuff like allocating blockers, waiting for the opponent to have a chance to react to anything you do - maybe it just doesn't suit these devices.
    That was one major motivation behind Spellcraft, to design a fast game . For example, one tap launches all 5 creatures.

Undead cards : The cards themselves were designed last year, the graphics are almost done - we only have the one artist.

I will post up the text of many of cards this week on the website, so you have an idea of what to expect. I assume you've seen lots of the art already ?

Can I tell you a date? No, I am sorry, because I don't know. One of our first priorities is finishing the iPhone version to give players a whole new bunch of other players to duel.
    I really do appreciate that as our pioneer players you really want more stuff now! All I can say is once the ground work is done for iPhone and other things, the expansions can then flow fairly quickly.

Air will most likely follow Undead - the cloudy region top left of the map.

We will have a video trailer sometime soon which is rather cool, but I do realise it's more cards you want.

Regards
    Steve, ThreeGoblins,
    Currently lost in Tokyo.

19. Mack the Knife

Jun 21, 2012
    thanks steve but can you elaborate on this: "For example, one tap launches all 5 creatures".

did i miss something in the tutorial? :D

20. Steve at ThreeGoblins

Sep 10, 2012
    Tokyo
    I just mean all you need to do to make even a full board of minions (5) attack is tap the Attack button once.

Cheers
    Steve, 3Goblins