iPhone Spellcraft - Collectable Card Game - by Three Goblins Ltd

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by sladeums, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Sheinfell

Sheinfell Well-Known Member

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    New update is out

Good job, 3 Goblins!
    Just one question:
    Mind sharing why you lowered the casting cost on the Fire Shroud?
    That card is quite powerful, especially in combination with the Pyrohydra. So I think the original cost of 2 was perfectly fine.

Oh, and I got another feature request:
    Share Deck
    This would allow you to email a list of all cards in a deck; e.g. 1x Fire Shroud, 3x Pyrohydra, etc.
    Right now, if I want to share a deck setup with someone else, I either need to manually compile a list, or send a screenshot and hope the recipient can see enough on it.

Hhmm, and a deck showcase on your homepage could be a nice addition as well.
    Have people send their decks to you, and if you like them, put them up on your site, ideally with an explanation from the submitter on the setup.
    This would avoid the clutter you might get when everyone can just post decks there.

2. Steve at ThreeGoblins

Steve at ThreeGoblins Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Game Designer and Teacher
    Tokyo
    Hello Sheinfell,

Good to hear from you again.

Fireshroud : it was supposed to be 1 all along actually. Mea Culpa. Hopefully it will get used more now, as its one if the breach cards used to knock a whole in enemy lines.

Share Deck: Yes , interesting we had this issue to face in the long dark months of Beta testing. We also used the screenshot as an interim solution. Your email idea is really good and it never occurred to me. Sounds readily doable to (I can hear the programmer groaning). Added to features list. I will discuss this with
    Mike today.

Deck Showcase : Good suggestion, and something I've seen and used on another game . Very useful. Not something we could automate in the forseeable but totally doable right now , if people send me screenshots of decks. But of course, much easier for all concerned after the email Share Deck idea is set up.

Thanks
    Steve @ ThreeGoblins
    http://www.spellcraft-ccg.com/

3. Sheinfell

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    Also...Nice new artwork on the "game won" screen, I really like it.

4. Marc55Mo

Marc55Mo Member

Sep 27, 2012
    I'd love to hear someone's impressions if this is worth a 333MB download.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. Mack the Knife

Mack the Knife Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    #145 Mack the Knife, Sep 27, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
    you can go to their website and look around, read the rules, play the tutorial. that will give you an idea of the game layout. in my opinion it is well worth it but i don't know if you have to delete things to make room or pay for the data you download. otherwise, it's free so it wouldn't hurt to give it a try.

6. Sheinfell

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    If you like this kind of cardgame, it is definitely worth it, one of the best currently available for iOS. Like Mack said, look around the website to get a first impression.

7. Sheinfell

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    AI oddities

I noticed some AI odd behaviour:

1) Meteor overkill: the AI just seems to love nuking lowlife (e.g. 1hp) minions with Meteor. This can make sense, e.g. when they have high attack and pose a real threat.
    But I have seen this several times now, where the AI definitely had good minions on hand to block mine, and saving the Meteor for something tougher would have been the better choice in my eyes.

2) Sirens' ability "loop" : AI has 2 Sirens in play, and one of them is unopposed by a minion of mine. Instead of using one Siren to attack, and just leave my minion opposing the other Siren, the AI first uses one Siren to draw my minion over, then the other one (where the minion was originally located) to draw it back. I saw this over like 6-8 turns, effectively having the AI lose alot of damage output over time.

3) Weird placement of attack-immune barriers/minions: Sometimes the AI places an attack-immune barrier opposite a lowthreat minion, and leaves the highthreat one - where the barrier would make much more sense - alone.

8. Mack the Knife

Jun 21, 2012
    #148 Mack the Knife, Sep 29, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
    hey steve (or anyone besides you know who), when you have a minute could you please give me the low down on a Water card named Drifting Jellyfish. i've been playing a few games using Water and i can't figure this guy out. first, he's not a Minion but a Barrier yet he has 3 strength! even though it's a barrier it attacks but i can't seem to figure out when it attacks. it's ability is to move to another random slot each turn and that's cool and i've seen it move. however, when it moves it does not fade in color so it can still attack but it doesn't seem to. the Jellyfish moved in front of the AI's barrier and 'm almost sure no aura was above it saying nothing could attack. the AI barrier was 0/6, the Jelly was 3/2 yet it did not attack.

3/2 and this random movement are nice features for only 10 gold but when i was playing it, it seemed almost useless as it just moved around but never attacked.

if you know more about this guy than i do, please fill me in! thanks

9. Sheinfell

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    #149 Sheinfell, Sep 29, 2012
    Not worth it?
    Take a closer look: It is a moving barrier, with 3/2, which makes it an excellent card.
    The balancing factor for the good stats is that the movement is random (good balance job, 3Goblins, by the way). So you run the risk of the Jellyfish ending up in an unpleasant or useless place; as it happened to you when it moved to an enemy barrier.

Aside from that, alot depends on your deck build, if any card is useful for you, and to what degree.

As far as I know from playing, barriers never attack on your turn.
    What they do is counterattack when they get attacked on the opponent's turn.

10. Sheinfell

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    Feel like a match? Send me a PM

Oh yes, before I forget that:
    I am on vacation, and should have some more free time on my hands.
    So, if you feel like a match:
    Send me a PM here, ideally with your Gamecenter ID, timezone, and when you have time.
    And/or: Send me a friend/match request via Gamecenter.
    I am in CET timezone, GC ID is Null/Zone .

11. Sheinfell

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    [BUGREPORT]: Ominous Egg / Darkling Assassin cards

Found what seems to be a bug.
    Me (lvl32, Underworld deck) vs. AI "The Labyrinths" (lvl 9?) .
    On the outer right minion slot:
    I have an "Ominous Eggs" barrier placed.
    Next turn, the AI drops a "Darkling Assassin" opposite my barrier.
    It then uses the D.A.'s special ability to inflict 2 damage to my O.Eggs, reducing it to 0/1.
    Next AI turn, as first action, it uses the D.A. ability again, which should have killed my O.Eggs.
    Instead, they stay at 0/1.
    This repeated for 2 or 3 AI rounds, where it always used the D.A. ability as first action of the turn, never inflicting damage to the O.Eggs.
    On the 5th turn, the AI plays a 5 mana card, so it cannot use the D.A. ability.
    Now, finally, the D.A. attacks the O.Eggs with his normal melee attack and destroys it, triggering the Egg's special ability and sending another card from my stash to replace the Egg.

12. Sheinfell

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    And a question about the AI decks:
    Is the AI not bound by the same rules as we players?
    I just had an AI match where it had a at least 6 Wolfpacks in its deck (limit is 4 for players).
    Not that I complain - this adds some nice flavour/theme to the AI - I just want to be sure this is intentional.

13. Mack the Knife

Jun 21, 2012
    #153 Mack the Knife, Sep 29, 2012
    thank you my good man, this is exactly the information i was missing. your powers of observation are better than mine. until the Jellyfiish, i was under the impression that barriers did not have strength values.

and that was the case, the AI had mostly barriers up so i never saw it attack! so the one time i DID see it attack was when it moved and opposed a minion. thanks again!

14. Sheinfell

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    Phew, finally made it to lvl 40;)

And while I am at it, got another remark, Steve:
    Can you consider changing the icons for minion/barrier and item/trap?
    In my opinion they are not easily recognisable enough, especially when compared to the aura icon, the only one that is easy to recognise.
    If you don't want to make them bigger, make them more distinguishable; for example with prominent colors.
    The simple orange circle for auras works very well.

When you publish for iPhone, I can imagine that they will be even harder to read.

15. Mack the Knife

Jun 21, 2012
    #155 Mack the Knife, Sep 30, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
    congrats and a thought comes to mind. steve, as each new faction is released, such as the upcoming undead, will they fight Sheinfell at level 40 and the rest of us at the level we're on? how is that going to work? also, with each new faction comes 3 new battlefields so with the undead added, we'll need to win 13 of 15 to move up or will it remain at 10? It's been said that 8 more factions are planned so that's 24 more plus the current 12. Will it still be 10 out of 36 to level up or, as Sheinfell fears, will it be 34 out of 36!! :D do you guys have an idea on how you'll implement this?

16. Sheinfell

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    Shouldn't be too hard to integrate any new factions into the current setup.
    After all, it works quite fine right now. They did a good job with the different level AIs.
    So a new beginner should get level 1 AI, you get it at which level you currently are, and I get a lvl 40 one.

And I hope they leave the number of fights at 10 per level. Raising it to 13 sounds a bit much.
    As added bonus, you have more variety, when you can pick 10 out of 15 battles.
    However, it might be an option for levels after 40 or 50 .
    Slowly add one battle here and there, but not to the amount that it gets tedious.
    With alot of additional factions planned, I would not like to see, say, that you need 25 battles to get one level.

17. markturner_goblin

markturner_goblin Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2012
    Hi,

Thanks for that bug report Sheinfell. I tested it last night and noticed it does seem to do that,at least versus eggs anyway. I have sent that to the goblin engineer to fix.

mark turner (artist/ game designer of spellcraft)

18. markturner_goblin

Oct 1, 2012
    Thanks for the thoughts sheinfell. It may be worth me making these symbols more clearer.I will have to see how they look on the iphone version.If they are too small they may need some tweeking.

I have answered for steve as he will be away for a few days.

19. Sheinfell

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    #159 Sheinfell, Oct 1, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
    [BUGREPORT] Gamecenter rank is off

Hi Goblins

not sure if that is a a Gamecenter problem, or from Spellcraft:
    GC shows my Rank at the highest I ever had - 19.
    Within Spellcraft, I saw 16, until I won a game against Greymane48 - rank 17.
    Now Spellcraft shows me at rank 18, while GC still lists 19.

Oh, and:
    You might want to setup a support email address and publish it on your website, so people have an email contact as well. Also, you could use this one for people sending in decks for the showcase. Or make another one, e.g. [email protected] for the decks.
    Just my opinion, but then I am a support guy and a stickler for proper protocol, mail adresses, etc. ;)

20. markturner_goblin

Oct 1, 2012
    We will stay to 10 wins per level as the decks past 40 will be more difficult to defeat. There will be low level dreadmarsh AI decks for new players too.