Universal Spellsword -(by Everplay)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Apr 25, 2012.

1. ktern

ktern Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2011
    I'm giving you guys the benefit of the doubt here--it's obviously hard to turn a profit on the App Store, and I can see how things could get a little rushed.

The iOS gaming community is pretty vicious, though, so it'd be a good idea to test thoroughly next time before you release such an update to avoid this kind of PR headache.

Good luck getting this sorted out!

2. Everplay

Everplay Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2012
    Thanks. It was tested thoroughly with what we understood, but we can't test how the AppStore version can change the code. Tragic, but we hope our players can understand and have patience. If not, then we shall cry.

3. chaos_envoys

chaos_envoys Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Medical Doctor
    Pokke Village, Indonesia
    Because of this, now I doubt on buying games from the devs anymore.. Really hate things like this..

4. Zaraf

Zaraf Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    The only real problem here is some of you guys jumping to conclusions and going all mob witch hunt style on the game/dev.

A little patience and understanding goes a long way.

5. barbicoh

barbicoh Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2011
    Yeah people using their mouths first before their heads is just sad.

Anyways Everplay will you include an in game purchase for disabling said ads? Or even if people avail of IAP they'd still get the ads?

6. Everplay

Jan 21, 2012
    We are going to simply remove all ads.

7. bacon-N-eggs

bacon-N-eggs Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2012
    I have not updated yet, not sure if I should, probably worth waiting for now?

Anyways, I do hate when early adopters get the short end of the stick, but honestly it was only a buck. I beat the missions in a day or two, and played the heck put out of the endless mode.

Yeah it's kinda a "slap in the face" feeling, but personally I had well of a bucks worth of fun! Anything extra is just that, extra.... I understand dev's need to eat, I'm not mad, just wonder if there are other ways of handling things?

Maybe not? Lots of dev's going to this model now :(

8. Joshnsuch

Joshnsuch Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Louisville
    I got a wonderful amount of gameplay through endless mode for the one buck this game cost a me a few months ago and I'm honestly not TOO tore up about it going free-to-play.

Devs, I read you guys are simply going to remove all ads. I also saw you planned on giving a large sum of the Dragon Coins to early adopters, do you have any plans to sort this out, as well?

9. Everplay

Jan 21, 2012
    Yeah. It will happen through an impending update. Ads are already removed, so no worries there.

10. EfratBarTal

EfratBarTal Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
    almost done with the new missions. great update.. but i could use those early adopters coins now for some of the shop items :)

11. Ausar

Ausar Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    BCN
    also could you improve the icloud sync? so it uploads and download the save automatically because i try the icloud support in this version uploading the save then deleting the game and downloading the save and didn't work

12. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    So, as an early adoptor, is the recommendation to just wait until the fix is in before updating?

13. Everplay

Jan 21, 2012
    No, it is definitely not worth it. Its not so much as a fix as it is an alteration. Can be applied at anytime.

14. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Sorry if I sound stupid, but it's definately not worth waiting? Or I should just wait?

Just a little confused with you saying it's not worth it (which I read as it's not worth downloading now) to it can be applied at anytime (meaning it's fine to download now).

15. encaenmi

encaenmi Member

Dec 18, 2010
    This is terrible. A game I used to love now has changed. I bought this ages ago and I didn't get any dragon coins, just a lot of ads.

The only reason I haven't deleted it is that I really hope the developers fix it.

16. putermcgee

putermcgee Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Seattle
    #596 putermcgee, Aug 20, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
    yeah, those developers are my goddamn slaves. they don't have rights! what were they thinking, trying to find a route to keep providing support and updates to their game?

and if this signals you to wait for games to be free, it just shows you don't give a damn about playing games. i suppose you're still holding out on buying a ps2 because you just know that someday it'll be cheaper. and think of how cheap those madden games are gonna be if you just wait a few more years!

you bought it ages ago, claim to love it, and yet you're still somehow indignant over the update which really doesn't change much at all for you.

it kills me when people complain about others getting something for free after they themselves have been enjoying that thing for quite some time already. how does someone else being able to enjoy a game (no matter the cost) affect you in any way? why does someone else being able to enjoy a game for less money than you entitle you to anything? i understand many people here are physically adults, but i can't remember a time in my life beyond 9 or 10 years-old where i acted like this.

someone previously referred to this as a 'pr nightmare', but i forgot to quote it before i started typing this. from now on, i will refer to every indignant-whining-induced headache as a pr nightmare. when my 4 year-old nephew throws a fit about not being able to stay up late? man, what a pr nightmare.

EDIT: because i care, i found the quote. it wasn't pr nightmare, but pr headache.
    e.g. this thread gives me such a pr headache!

17. Joshnsuch

Joshnsuch Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Louisville
    Well put, putermcgee.

The devs are obviously working on a fix for this mix-up. They have made it very clear that it wasn't intended.

I would love for the community to pick back up along with this update - makes me hope we could get continuous updates for this wonderful title.

18. Everplay

Jan 21, 2012
    Download it now if you'd like.

Some of these players are talking about horrible changes to gameplay, but all we did is nerf one overpowered helmet (from 50% dodge to 30%) because it makes the game far too easy and unlocking other helmets worthless.

Other than that, there are 60 new missions and the addition of IAP if you are interested, but its not necessary.

19. Con

Con Well-Known Member

May 12, 2012
    My argument is that, if developers make a habit out of putting games up for a price, then dropping them down to freemium, it just signals to me that if I'm willing to wait a bit then I can get it for free. I don't know why that set you off so much? I guess being willing to get things for free makes me some juvenile teen who waits for consoles to become obsolete before buying them. Good job. :rolleyes:

Someone else mentioned that this was the second time this has happened -- I don't know if they were referring to this being the second game the developer has dropped to free, in which case that's even more of a signal to wait before purchasing if this becomes a habit.

Also, plenty of developers of paid-for games have continued to develop and support those games! I'm hardly the person denying the devs their livelihoods considering, whoa, I actually bought this when it first came out! In any case I've already stated I understand why a dev would want their game to be freemium, but I was miffed to find that people who had taken a leap and already spent money on the game got the addition of IAP currency and ads for it.

I'm glad the dev responded that this was a mixup. My fears have been allayed. The game is still great, I just happen to really strongly disagree with paying for something and then, for example, getting ads in what used to be a paid game. This has been addressed. I don't see why that makes me an entitled whiny baby.

20. Everplay

Jan 21, 2012
    To your first point - Devs of paid-for games who continue to support = Those who find profit in those paid for games. Spell Sword, while being a HUGE project of passion from us, earns less than a cup of coffee for each person involved per day, so we are trying to find ways to continue supporting it.

We could have done a Spell Sword 2, but players would be even angrier. I know you are not attacking us and I thank you for that.

To the second point - Yes, the ads aspect is a mix-up, but it only occurred for a few hours and has since been fixed.

The forums kind of got off track and we'd love to open up discussion on how we can make Spell Sword the best for what we have.