GameClub Spider: The Secret Of Bryce Manor (by TigerStyle) [TA 2009 GotY]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by eggzbacon, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Dark NRG

Dark NRG Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Filmographer
    #18 Top US!!!

Ok, one little, reasonable request: I really, REALLY don't want to see a Doodle or ANYTHING crossover for Spider. That would be the end of the ride for me.

SERIOUSLY

I'm still considering my options for when Enviro Bear rears his UGLY HEAD on miniGore....

2. upriser

upriser New Member
    Patreon Bronze

Aug 19, 2009
    Hey everyone, I'm one of the Tiger Style level artists and I had to come on to thank you guys for all this positive support. It has been so overwhelming, especially for myself, because I'm only just getting into this business as a professional. [Twas my first gig after graduating college.] Not everyone working on the game had a proven track record with long lists of the best computer games in existence.

To have the chance to work alongside such supreme guys and gals and to see our art style received so well, I am positively stoked. It is very encouraging to the indie side of me. And I just have to emphasize how well this all went due to diligence and passion on the part of the guys leading this project.

So thanks, truly, to you guys supporting us. I've never really been on this side of that gamer/developer wall, and you guys have made it so great.

-Randy O

3. writingsama

writingsama Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Looking Glass' legacy continues. to my knowledge nothing but wonder has come from that studio and those who worked there, from Thief 1/2 to System Shock 1/2 to Deus Ex 1 (and I really enjoyed 2, though I know there was not really any ex-member involvement...), to Bioshock, and now this...someone should tell the story of how Looking Glass came to get such talented, amazing developers under one roof and how it managed to fall apart anyway after creating some of the best games ever to grace the halls of gaming.

and now this. you ex-LG guys are crazy good. I applaud you.

4. Dark NRG

Dark NRG Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Filmographer
    #384 Dark NRG, Aug 19, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
    Welcome to TA Randy O!!!
    You'll find the best people here, from players to developers who really interact! Nice gig, keep your nose clean and pick up a broom when there's nothing to do, just keep looking like you're working around the office LOL;)
    Seriously, you need to go read a bit of this thread from the beginning to really appreciate the genesis of how this got so viral here at Touch Arcade at least. We love hearing from you guys, so check back, I'm sure some members will have questions for you, tho you're probably hard at work with that new levels update :D
    Can't wait!!!!!!!

7AM EST #13 Top US!!!!

5. zoo

zoo Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Nice to have you here. The art for Spider is wonderful, right up there with the best I've seen on the iDevices. Congratulations on the great title :)

6. gekkota

gekkota Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Ah, the memories...Thief, Deus Ex, System Shock.
    It seems like I bought just about every game Looking Glass came out with. If it had the Looking Glass name on it, I knew it would a game I would enjoy!
    And I still own most of them... Just couldn't bear to part with Thief. :)

7. Grubjelly

Grubjelly Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2009
    #387 Grubjelly, Aug 19, 2009
    Congrats to Tigerstyle for an exceptional, high-concept game with the best and most coherent art style and music of any game on this platform to date -Lukeb (#23 Global, precision mode, noon EST)

8. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    "Coherent" is an odd choise of word... I'm sure there are hundreds of apps with coherent graphics and music.

9. Grubjelly

Jun 19, 2009
    It's very difficult for an ensemble of visual artists to churn out a mostly hand-drawn product that looks as if it could have originated from the mind of just one genius with a unique vision, such as is found in the storybooks of Edward Gorey, rather than a bunch of images from several generic illustrators thrown together in a contrived way. The pervasive mood in Spider bears the mark of high-art. Of course most games consisting of visuals made up of polygons and texture maps are going to look coherent as well, but Spider's visuals are not engine-generated.

10. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Well the reason I said it is because a good deal of games on the app store only have one artist anyway, even some of the big name games. Often a company big enough to employ a team of artists also has an art director there to ensure that everything stays coherent.

11. Grubjelly

Jun 19, 2009
    #391 Grubjelly, Aug 19, 2009
    Alright then. I don't know of any hand-drawn idevice games with the quality of art direction found in Spider; with so many individual panels that would fit perfectly together in a gothic storybook on the quality level of the best classics.

12. GreenLightJerky

GreenLightJerky Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2008
    Senior support engineer, jerky guru
    California
    It is amazing. I love playing this game.
    I hope to see more levels or a sequel!!
    My phone is bursting with games and new ones are out every day.
    Much more fun than I was having on my DS!!!

13. lakmethemud

lakmethemud New Member

Apr 16, 2009
    This game is fantastic to say the least. Thank you to the developers for a game so unique and engaging, all while being quick and easy to get the hang of. Very good re-playability, stunning visuals, and simple controls. Awesome.

14. Giygas

Giygas Member

Aug 19, 2009
    What exactly do you do in the game?
    Sounds like some kind of mystery adventure thing, like Myst

15. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    The gameplay is nothing like Myst. It's a cross between a platformer and a line drawing game... with a bit of puzzle thrown in for good measure.

16. adot777

adot777 Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2009
    a great game, an gread game video! i have a question, how do you make your game video? with simulator, or other device, what about vedio editor ?:confused::confused:

17. gyromancer

gyromancer Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Civil servant
    Bedfordshire, UK
    Super game...very absorbing. I thought i was near to finding the secret room but I must be missing something. I've done something to the grandfather clock, the mini clock I'm guessing makes the tombstone glow. The arrows are reference to the switches on the pipes? I keep trying to hit the minature boats steering wheel and nada...what am I doing wrong?

If somebody would kindly message me that'd be excellent. My only access to the net ATM is on my iphone & all those tips in white I can't see.. :)

18. skyye06

skyye06 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    student
    Texas
    wow it broke the top ten in the us, hopefully by this week it could break the top spot

19. Acidbottle

Acidbottle Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    it finally just broke into the uk top 50 as well! faith in the british buying public is restored :D

20. Jibba

Jibba Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2009
    I just bought this last night after seeing all the great reviews. So far I'm really pleased but I'm just curious if I'll get some kind of hint telling me when to look for these secrets. Through the first few levels I've found secret compartments (the game told me I found a secret) but there didn't seem to be anything to do there.

Anyway, great job to the developers.