GameClub Spider: The Secret Of Bryce Manor (by TigerStyle) [TA 2009 GotY]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by eggzbacon, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Veratek

Veratek Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    VERATEkĀ®
    washington
    There are some edgy beats in there, right up my alley so it's a highlight of the game for me :D That and the spider's jump, which really gives a sense of freedom to the whole experience.

2. Prab

Prab Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    Well... I'm loving the game just for the soundtrack and the art alone lol... The hand-drawn backgrounds are just stunning. Seriously, I should've paid more attention in art class years ago :p

Saw the video on TA's main page as well. Now I'm really getting this game :D

3. Acidbottle

Acidbottle Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    i was definately on the fence about this but the reviews, video and development team appearence has swung it fer me!

damn it, not got the time to play all this good stuff commin out at the moment lol. i hope the idevice bubble doesnt burst anytime soon, seriously good times!

4. AttackOfThePwned

AttackOfThePwned Well-Known Member

May 28, 2009
    Photographer
    San Francisco, CA
    A game much bigger than a spider..

Original iDevice concept..

Beautiful art style...

Engrossing music with a mysterious story to unravel....

Intuitive and responsive iTouch controls.....

This is pure mobile gaming nirvana......

I will never see spiders the same way again......

5. Prab

Prab Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    Lol!
    The dev should put this in the game description :p

6. AttackOfThePwned

AttackOfThePwned Well-Known Member

May 28, 2009
    Photographer
    San Francisco, CA
    #106 AttackOfThePwned, Aug 11, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
    Haha, if they do I'd be honored. I am having so much fun with this title in the early morning hours of today.

Props to the dev team and the vigilant TA members for finding this small gem. Just refreshes my feeling the iDevice can be just as fun as PC/Console titles, while on the move. With the difference being smaller packaging.

7. eugekava

eugekava Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    I read the article on the front page of TA, then came here knowing that Big Albie will be doing the review. After so many positive comments I had to get it.

It is quite rare these days to get such an overwhelmingly positive response to a game.
    And when even Thread's resident Devil's Advocate (Dark NRG) folds like (insert idiom here), you know the game is great.
    Good luck to the devs. Look forward to more games.

8. sjleworthy

sjleworthy Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    3D & Architectural Artist
    Cardiff, Wales, UK
    this is a new one on me this morning. i'll be purchasing immediately when i get home. (something else to pi55 the wife off with :) )

9. icepulse

icepulse Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2008
    I like it a lot, but I'm not seeing how to use your iPod playlist here.

Also, when the game music is "on", I detect, occasionally, a slow-down in the music itself (NOT a gameplay slowdown).

I'm running 3.0 with a 3GS, so I'm wondering if it's a 3GS-specific issue. Can anyone recreate what I'm seeing (rather, hearing)?

10. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Well, I'm sold. Downloading now!

11. JanB

JanB Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Hey bro, what did you mean with your first paragraph? I didnt understand very well.

12. JanB

JanB Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    wow totally didnt cacth this! Well man I just said: "Hey a beautiful game deserves a beautiful review", that is what I strived for didnt know if I acheived it though. Some people, I think, thought it was over the top but that was the point Im a poet and a songwritter so its only normal for me to like to write like that.

13. eugekava

eugekava Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    @JanB
    Your review was beautiful.
    I think that most people are quite unable to express delight in similar fashion and your outburst of emotion was more than what most people are used to.
    You probably managed to convince a few people to buy the game, not to mention making the dev team blush.

14. JanB

JanB Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Thanks bro :) really makes me feel good. Your awesome ;)

15. chris1215

chris1215 Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2009
    This game is absolutely fantastic. Everything from the music to the control to the style is so fresh. In my mind this game is to the iphone as what Braid is to the 360.

16. OneEye

OneEye Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2009
    Congrats to our friends at Tiger Style for a great release!

17. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I kept thinking of Braid the whole time I was taking part in this discussion. To be totally honest... I hated Braid with a passion. What others saw as art I saw as a desperate attempt to look and sound artistic.

Nevertheless, this game is giving people the same vibe, but in my opinion, that game's done it right. Now I know how the Braid fans felt.

18. zztfox

zztfox Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Bought it. Played it. Loved it!

19. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    #119 Jorlen, Aug 11, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
    Everything about this game screams quality, originality and fun. The controls are extremely intuitive and it's so nice when developers actually embrace the touch screen and use it correctly. Fantastic game; this is one of the few I'll actually enjoy playing right till the end. Highly recommended; $3 is a steal.

I definitely look forward to any future Tiger Style releases; what a great start, guys!

Left a positive 5 star review in the Canadian app store - you guys deserve it.

20. darrinsden

darrinsden Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2009
    the game looks so great though i seem to be the only person not able to start it :(
    crashes at the title screen... perhaps it is time for a new phone

have plenty of memory, and have rebooted and restored