Sprite Fighter (2D multi player fighter)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by cubytes, Feb 19, 2010.

1. Bluellama1

Bluellama1 Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Student
    Metro Detroit, Michigan
    I think it's more of a concept for a game than an announcement.

2. cubytes

cubytes Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2009
    #22 cubytes, Feb 20, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
    how will magic/skills work in a 2D fighter?.........

-characters will have a finite amount of MP; that of course increases as you level up
    -your MP will slowly recharge as you deal and take damage
    -doing any kind of magic or skill will cost MP points

Thoughts.......

I want to design animations for the magic/skills that will be visually stunning, with great sound effects but its absolutely crucial that they are seamlessly played out in real time. In a 2D fighter you definitely do not want to implement a system of magic/skills that completely halts the combat by pausing real time; especially since the magic/skills will be so easy to pull off in battle

I also want to design and implement them with emphasis on "strategic tools" of combat and not just another way to deal damage.

definitely would like to try and carry over some RPG concepts of elemental weakness & affinity to add even more depth and complexity to the combat experience.

I also want to put an emphasis on offensive use of a magic concept and defensive use of a magic concept, possibly even vitality magic and buffs as well.....

-for example: fire ball jutsu would be an offensive use of fire magic as a ninja class with an affinity towards fire element. It would essentially work similar to RYU's Hadouken. A defensive use would be a fire wall which essentially puts up a wall of fire that will stay lit for X amount of secs preventing the enemy from approaching you unless they have an agile class and just hop over it. if they do hit the wall they will sustain damage and a brief negative status effect for X amount of secs.

classes such as:
    -brawler
    -samurai
    -demon/half demon

dont use magic in its traditional sense but rather skills from the legendary fighting styles (brawler), legendary weapons aka zanpakuto or demon weapons. these skills will still have an offensive and defensive use and some of the weapons and fighting styles may have affinity to a certain element and may have elemental properties

classes such as the:
    -ninja
    -mana (custom no affinity)

are the magic users in the traditional sense

and of course the sage class uses magic but in a slightly different way; the sage class essentially just summons nature as in animals, plants ect to aid them in battle some may have elemental properties and affinities but its more of a summon concept then a magic concept

and last but not least the demon mode and form

as a half demon the demon mode is the most powerful buffs in the game initiate this and your enemy will have to completely change up their strategy

and of course the demon form which will essentially change your character into a huge demon monster which is the second most powerful buff in the game plus you get to change into a huge monster :)

buffs and vitality: aside from the demon mode and form there will be other kinds of buffs for each of the classes

ideas for buffs:
    ninja; substitution jutsu, shadow clones, ect
    samurai: releasing your zanpakuto (shikai and bankia) is a buff
    brawler: uses energy drinks, pills ect to buff up in a battle
    sage: ???
    mana: ???

the pop up button will be used exclusively for buffs and form changes.....

3. h0130j03

h0130j03 Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    gonna keep an eye on this, i love sprite fighters. never got into 3d fighters much

4. lailai

lailai Active Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Are you making this or throwing a idea for other devs to make?

5. cubytes

Aug 25, 2009
    game design thoughts......................

up until now i have imagined the combat and the gameplay experience to be more of a traditional 2D fighter, a strict LMBS just with sprites as a sort of personality for the game.

now im starting to have second thoughts

you could essentially do a 2D fighter in the traditional sense with the control scheme i proposed in a earlier post and up until now thats what i have been considering. IF you are considering a strictly LMBS (Linear Motion Battle System) on a touch screen device; you will have to come up with something new to do moves because on the consoles you have to do simultaneous button combos a la d-pad up+down+face button all at the same time to do a hydukon for example; that would be hard to do on a touch screen without a wheel to be two directions at once or have the buttons close enough and far enough to be able to press 2 at the same time when you want to and likewise individually press a single button in combos when you want to and not constantly pressing two buttons at once on accident when trying to do combos or pressing 1 button instead of two when trying to do moves.

see what i mean?

In that regard you could simply use the switch and hotkey approach i described in an earlier post but have little or absolutely no charge time to do the moves (with up to 4 equip able moves) and utilize the tap+flick combos as melee only combos.

however im very interested in utilizing a diverse concept of magic (hence the reason i want to use classes inspired by popular anime series) in ways that can be initiated in combat both defensively and offensively as strategic tools rather then just for damage or just for setting up combos as they would be in traditional LMBS

which is why im starting to think that the gameplay should be in 2.5D not isometric or top down grid like inotia or zenonia ect but more side scroller style like castle crasher or legend of mana's (psx) combat gameplay; where you can move up and down not just limited to right and left

would have to tweak the controls.....

left virtual wheel:
    -double taps for dash; lots of dashing will be going on
    -no jumping or blocking would be needed
    -and if so dash would play a crucial role in strategy; use dash to dodge

wouldn't need a switch button if it was more like a side scroller

virtual pad:
    -tap and hold will not do charge move
    -instead it brings up a hot key of 4 equip able magic/skills
    -slide thumb up, down, left, or right to highlight the one you want to use
    -thus start the charge animation
    -then release to initiate the magic/skill

still would need a pop up for the buffs/form changes

melee combos:
    -taps & double taps for base combos increase duration from lv 1 a combo with only 2 attack and say level X a combo with 3 and level X a combo with 4 and so on and so on as you level up
    -flicks towards enemy will do a dash/thrust attack basically a dash and an attack at the same time
    -multiple flicks towards enemies will do a dash/attack then consecutive thrusts attacks in a combo
    -flicks away from enemy will do an attack that will hit enemies behind you and in front of you if they are close enough
    -multiple flicks away from enemy will both move away from the enemy slowly mini dashes while executing combos that hit enemies in front & behind you
    -flicks up will be slash combos and hit enemies above you and in front of you
    -multiple flicks up consecutively with do slash combos
    -flicks down will do another slash combo but also hit enemies below you and in front of you
    -multiple flicks down consecutively will do slash combos

*taps & flicks can still be combo'd lots of combinations

*combos will be all melee no crazy moves or punish moves or supers will come from them just really effective melee attacks

magic/skills:
    -tap and hold to bring up hot key menu
    -slide thumb up down left or right slightly to highlight spell
    -your character will immediately begin the charge animation associated with that magic/skill
    -lift right thumb off screen to initiate magic/skill

hot key design:
    -up & down are reserved for defensive use of magic/skill
    -left & right are reserved for offensive use of magic/skill
    -meaning you can only have 2 offensive magics assigned/equipped at a time
    -and only two defensive magic/skills equipped at a time

*at higher levels you can unlock the hotkey where you can equip them any way you want; costs points and must be unlocked on the skill tree

use of magic:

if combat is not limited to a strict LMBS the use of magic/skills both offensively and defensively can be way more strategic and intense in combat. It also offers more flexibility in the kinds of magic/skills you can design and implement as a dev, and unlock and equip as a player.

Some magic/skills are only linear meaning they only shoot a straight shoot, and on the receiving end if your quick to react all you have to do is dash down or up to dodge the magic/skill. Some will be area and they will hit enemies one grid over above below, in front or behind you. some will be hybrids start out as linear but quickly turn into area after they have been unleashed, some will be like turtle shells from mario cart, if they dont hit the enemy they will just continue to bounce around until they hit something either you or your enemy, others will zig zag in a linear pattern, some will let you move around while blasting multiple magic/skills consecutively kinda like a top down shooter laser where you can launch this huge laser and move around damaging anything you touch with the laser, and you get the point right? :)

For defensive use of magic; this offers a whole new level of strategy as you can use defensive magic/skills to essentially set traps that will damage an enemy if they run into it. thus a key part of the strategy will be using defensive magic/skills to try and limit or control the movements of your enemy so they are where you want them when your ready to mess them up, and last but not least the defensive magic/skills can be used for protection as if they try to hit you with a powerful magic/skill you can just dash behind your defensive trap assuming you set one up and your close enough to it and the wall/trap or whatever it is will adsorb the magic/skill and possibly cancel it out or the magic/skill will be so powerful it will just go right thru the wall or trap still damaging you but for less HP now, and last but not least your defensive trap or wall can be soo powerful that it will not only absorb the magic/skill your enemy threw at you but also remain active after because the magic/skill was so weak.

thats the kind of strategy im talking about especially with a system that has both offensive and defensive use of magic/skills

buffs/form changes
    -pop up button right above the bottom right virtual pad
    -tap this pop up to activate the buff/form change
    -buffs/form changes will only appear when you can activate them
    -X amount of time must lapse and/or
    -X amount of damage sustained and/or
    -X amount of damage dealt to enemy

list of proposed buffs/form changes:

-ninja: random; can be shadow clones, substitution jutsu, ect; some will completely change up your combos others will just be sneaky buffs that allow you to not be damaged by magic/skill for x amount of time for instance

-samurai: releases 2nd form or the shiki form which will completely change up your combos, do more melee damage; and if you sustain the form for X amount of time without taking damage or deal X amount of damage or take X amount of damage the 3rd form or the bankia form will appear which will completely turn a battle around in some situations

-demon form; is like controlling a huge monster, obviously all of the combos and attacks will change, you will lose control of your demon blade skills but your attacks and combos will be much more devistating and you may gain some health and have extremely high defense while in this mode; it only last X amount of secs

-half demon just a boost in speed, power and MP none of your combos change and you still can use skills from your demon weapon

-brawler same as demon mode you just have a boost in attributes but your attacks and combos remain the same

-sage will be very similar to ninja buffs they will be random some will completely change up attacks and combos and some will give you unique abilities

-mana buffs are similar to demon mode from the half demon class just a boost in attributes but all of the combos remain the same and you still have access to your magic skills that you have equipped

*buffs/form changes must be hit in X amount of secs or they will fade away and even come back as an entirely different buff for the ninja & sage classes

and thats it :)

6. cubytes

Aug 25, 2009
    right now im just throwing ideas out there and having fun brainstorming them; sorry if i mislead any of you :)

i would love to have the $$$, knowledge and be a part of a team working on such an ambitious project but right now i can barely afford my own rent and will soon have to get 2 jobs if my luck doesn't improve

i would be very interested in beta testing/prototyping or experimenting with the following:

(to the best of my current abilities)

controls:
    -using dual sticks in an ARPG or arcade fighter
    -double taps on left wheel for dashes
    -combos: a combination of taps, double taps and flicks along the right bottom wheel/pad
    -a tap & hold hotkey system for being able to select up to 4 assigned magic/skills

experimenting with diverse concepts of magic/skill that can be used both offensively and defensively

build a robust character creation and development system into an idevice game that revolves around both co-op and competitive multi player experiences; as well as single player experiences

im not really worried about anyone "stealing" my ideas because they are typically very ambitious or impractical. sure some ppl may draw influence but i doubt anyone would replicate my entire vision on a whim or by reading a forum

but who knows.......if you want the name or the ideas they are all yours; i definitely wont lose sleep over it because i will most likely be busy working 2 jobs if my luck doesnt improve and im always coming up with new ideas so im not really worried about people copying my old ones :)

and of course your more then welcome to reach out to me for ideas concepts thoughts about your projects; im def open to beta testing i have average grasp of technical concepts, and im very interested in starting a career in game development

thx for the comments so far, keep them coming! feel free to inject your own ideas concepts, thoughts, feelings, ect into this thread; dont ever hesitate to speak up, share your ideas or ask questions :)

D

7. Sambo110

Sambo110 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Australia
    So your not making any game at all? Disappointing.

8. h0130j03

h0130j03 Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    go to the "services for trade" section. maybe if your lucky you'll get some guys to work on this for free.

9. Bluellama1

Jul 25, 2009
    Student
    Metro Detroit, Michigan
    If they get to keep all the profits!

10. cubytes

Aug 25, 2009
    hahaha tru that, i guess it wouldn't hurt to give the "services for trade" section a try huh?

but to be honest profits/money is not really what motivates me to come up with all these ideas (and not just for games either); its just what i do, its who i am and i cant really change that.

At this point in my life im more interested in the prospect/opportunity to start a career in game development as a beta tester, intern, marketing, dev, ops, QoS, designer, producer whatever it doesn't matter. i just need to get started but someone has to be crazy enough to hire me first and put up with my current ignorance and let me have an opportunity to learn listen and evaluate until i "know" what im talking about and not just speculating from sheer imagination alone.......

but in the mean time i will keep brainstorming and sending out resume's/applications

that is if you guys are cool with me posting ideas here? i could always post my ideas in the lounge if you all feel like i am starting to spam the game discussion forum, just let me know im good either way as long as i have a forum or somewhere to share ideas im chill

11. Bluellama1

Jul 25, 2009
    Student
    Metro Detroit, Michigan
    Keep 'em coming! When I said if they could keep the profits I was referencing the fact that the person above me said that maybe a dev would work on it for free and I think that since it's so ambitious that you would probably need to pay a dev even id they keep most of the profits.

12. cubytes

Aug 25, 2009
    right on :)

i'll keep posting ideas

I guess it could also have a campaign mode too?

co-op campaigns?
    2-3 hrs
    episodic content

13. cubytes

Aug 25, 2009
    tweaking the controls even more........

movement:
    -dropping the wheel
    -you dont really need a wheel in a side scroller cuz you can only move horizontally or vertically; no diagonal movement
    -going with a virtual joystick & d-pad hybrid (more details below)
    -a good looking aesthetic or artistic design is legit
    -but responsiveness and well thought out visual feedback is extremely important on touch screen devices

so heres what im thinking......................

design:
    -i want to use badge like circles with carrots in them (refer to iphone recent call list or contact favorites and check out the blue circles with carrots in them to the right of the list; thats about the same design and size of circle i want to use)
    -they should be transparent
    -but have thin outlines of the circle and the carrot both should be clearly visible
    -they should be closely packed but with a little space in between for visual feedback animations

visual feedback:
    -when you tap on any of the circles there will be visual feedback
    -essentially the circle will resonate briefly as if a ripple in pond
    -flashing clearly visible and then quickly fading back out to transparent for a brief moment in sync with the ripple animation

if you tap and hold any of the circles:
    -it will not resonate
    -in fact the circle will fade to clearly visible and expand
    -while simultaneously fading out all of the other circles leaving only the one circle that you are holding visible around the tip of your thumb
    -lift finger off the screen and all the circles will fade back like a keynote magic move

heres where it gets REALLY interesting:
    -what if you tap and hold one of the circles, then slide as you would a virtual joystick?
    -well if you tap and then hold one of the circles it will react as stated above
    -and if you slide without lifting thumb off the screen that circle will essentially turn into a virtual joystick contained within a now larger transparent circle that just faded in
    -lift thumb off the screen and all the circles are back
    -im trying to contain my excitement because i think the idea of a d-pad circle seamlessly becoming a virtual joystick by simply sliding and then going back to a d-pad by simply lifting thumb off screen is very delicious idea :)
    -but it NEEDS to be tested before i jump the gun and get all excited

dashes:
    -double tap on one of the d-pad circles to dash in that direction
    -you can also use flick gestures for dashes as well
    -its the same exact dash just 2 different ways to do it
    -trust me this is crucial

attacks/combos:

-bottom right there will be a small circle with a sword icon
    -tap or double tap on this circle and your character will do a quick attack
    -the circle itself will resonate (expand and shrink)
    -as long as the circle is resonating you can still enter input for combos
    -flicks will do strong attacks and will also make the circle resonate
    -the expand and shrink animation of the attack button is essentially visual feedback to aid in performing combos

charge attack:
    -simply tap and hold the circle in the bottom right
    -the circle itself will expand in sync with character charge animation
    -the circle will flash when ready to go and the character animation should indicate that the move is ready
    -release to do spin, ground stomps dash attacks ect

switch & hotkey
    -since i have brought back the charge attack i need to bring back the switch button
    -im moving it to the bottom center in between the d-pad/joystick hybrid and the single attack button
    -might be a little bit closer to the d-pad/joystick hybrid then the attack button
    -tap and hold this button
    -your character will immediately take a new stance and begin a charge animation
    -the hot key will fade in around the attack button
    -simply slide the attack button over the magic/skill you want to use
    -the circle will flash when ready and the character animation should indicate as much
    -release your right thumb off the screen to do the magic/skill

pop up for buffs/form changes:
    -is being moved to the bottom center of the screen to the right of the switch button
    -it will be closer to the attack button so players will most likely use their right thumb to activate it
    -the buff/form change has a charge time so you have to tap & hold and wait until its ready then lift thumb off screen to initiate
    -it will be transparent or gray'd out until you can activate it

combo details:
    -i now want the combos to be more then just melee attacks
    -i want them to be visually stunning and very satisfying to pull off combos
    -you can combo flicks and taps lots of combinations lots of cool moves you can pull off

magic/skill:
    -im thinking that trying to implement a system of magic that is both offensive and defensive might be a little impractical
    -so all magic/skills will be offensive in nature
    -some magic/skills if they connect will cause negative status effects for X amount of secs
    -spells evolve as you level up so if you have a ninja that can do fireball jutsu at low levels they will only shoot one ball of fire at higher levels they will be able to shoot multiple balls of fire at once making it harder to dodge
    -there will still be strategic magic/skills that are strictly linear in nature and strictly area effect in nature and of course there will be hybrids both linear and area effects at the same time
    -they are mostly a mix of projectile based magic/skills and area effects all done in real time, as you level up the charge time will decrease
    -there will be spells that have negative effects like some that make your character move slowly if it connects
    -burn effect like drain
    -confusion where the controls get all messed up
    -freeze where your character gets frozen for X amount of secs
    -in theory the magic/skill is similar to 2d fighter moves but at the same time similar to action rpg magic (just in real time)

magic/skill combos:
    -to do a magic combo tap and hold on the switch button
    -the icon in the attack button will change from a sword to some other graphic relevant to the type of skills or magic your character users
    -also a hotkey/ virtual pad will appear around the circle
    -simply drag the circle over the magic/skill that you want to use
    -when its ready lift right thumb off screen to unleash
    -if you connect and your thumb is still on the switch the circle will flash for a brief sec
    -tap will perfect timing to immediately unleash the same spell back to back up to 3 times as long as each time the magic/skill connects with the enemy and each time you tap the icon at the exact sec the magic/skill connects

i think this will work better for a side scroller then the previous tweak i proposed :)

what do you guys think?