Squids --> FREE

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by iND, Mar 21, 2012.

1. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    It's just free to promote the upcoming sequel, this has been answered repeatedly.

Of course, if you take Brad's review at face value it has always been freemium and this going free is them simply finally getting the price right (according to a current front page retconn that still refuses to back down from that asinine "review")

I take Brad's review as a sign the guy should quit his job and Eli should find someone else to do their podcast, but what do I know, I just actually played the whole game and 3 starred everything except the last of the most recent add on bonus levels :D

2. kujen

kujen Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2012
    I've been playing this tonight, it's pretty fun! Really enjoying it :)

3. KiddToKmart

KiddToKmart Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Can't believe this flew under my radar for so long... looks fantastic.

Debating over whether I should start playing it on my iPhone (which I carry with me everywhere) vs on the bigger iPad 2 screen (which I don't always have with me).

4. harkal

harkal Active Member

Apr 13, 2011
    This is a true gem. Everyone must play it!

5. Silvestris

Silvestris Well-Known Member

Ok the the hats for the other squids are working, but I bought the snowman hat for the white guy and it's not showing up on him in the game (though he's wearing it in the shop). Anyone know how to fix this?

Also, does anyone know if the halloween outfits are still available?

6. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Yeah, hadn't read the front page story about this going free and couldn't believe they still harped on the IAP thing.

Last year, I got banned for a few weeks when I got upset about the way the freemium model changed a previously paid game (I won't go back to that sad day). And am certainly not a fan of IAPs in general (full-game unlocks being my main exception).

But this game in no way required IAPs. I've played many RPGs that REALLY force major grinding or the IAPs to finish the game. This wasn't one of them.

7. spidey

spidey Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010
    India
    Yeah I know the TA stand on the issue. That's not what I meant :)

I meant if it was going Hero of Sparta-like freemium. Good to know this is a promotion.

Have to say, this is a must have game for all iOS gamers.

8. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    If they think giving Squids 1 away for free is going to make me spend money on Squids 2 when it comes out... they’re right! I’m really loving this game. It has messed with my work schedule, my sleep schedule, and my eating schedule. But I don’t mind :)

I’ve 3-starred everything except a couple of the bonus levels. (Which, by the way, there are quite a few of! The game doesn’t end with the final level of the “campaign.”)

My only disappointment is that I haven’t been forced to use Healers. I like Shooters the best, so I usually have two of those, one Scout, and one Trooper. (Also, I haven’t been forced to mix it up and try different Scouts; there’s always one that seems best—the one you start with, and then later Jammer.) Not much of a criticism since I can’t see any easy way to force mixing it up without adding totally artificial rules that would be annoying.

(But maybe levels where you take a whole ton of damage and thus need Healers would be cool.)

I hope there’s a Squids 3 set in the East. The ending of Squids 1 left that open.

9. EfratBarTal

EfratBarTal Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
    EDIT: oops, wrong thread. please disregard the post.

10. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    It's free again.

11. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Sweet, I got Wild West recently, now's my chance to get this!

12. This game plays pretty well on my iphone or ipad. So take your pick.

13. Habakuk

Habakuk Well-Known Member

Free again!

14. smes3817

smes3817 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Massachusetts, USA
    One of my favorites in all of the AppStore. A must have.

15. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    Fantastic game. To me it's a little like Angry Birds with tons more depth and better art. Squids Wild West is free too—I bought it ages ago but haven't made time to play it. Assuming it's better than the original, that's a crying shame! I will rectify the matter.