SSX making of Video

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by arta, Apr 8, 2011.

1. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/ssx_deadly_descents/preview-3042.html

Mind = blown. Obviously it's gonna depend a lot on how detailed they can get these mountains. If the data isn't accurate enough we'll be boarding down relatively boring lumps of earth, but hopefully they'll also use a little artistic licence to throw in a few exciting features, maybe some ramps, weather effects, scenery, etc.

2. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    It is cool, but I'm not sure I want a realistic snowboarding game. Hopefully, as you say, they modify the realistic topography with unrealistic stuff/insane jumps, that you don't have to search for hours to find.

3. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    At the very least they'll have their own specially designed levels, including the nine deadly descent "boss" levels which sound pretty cool. I guess this feature is in addition to everything else so even if it falls flat we should be left with a great game. I really hope it doesn't though.

I'm assuming you can't just enter any coordinates and get a map of the area, otherwise people would bring up fields and oceans and end up standing in a flat snowy wasteland.

4. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Yeah, I guess it would be a cool additional feature. I just have memories of trying Stoked and getting mind bogglingly bored in only an hour or so of play. Snowboarding down a virtual real mountain is a bore. Mainly I like the racing, not the tricks and such, except in so far as they help with the race. That's probably part of it.

5. MrThreeCats

MrThreeCats Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2011
    I'm fine with a little bit of realism in the game as long as it still retains the fun and craziness of the other SSX games. Still, I hope all the tracks in the game aren't just desolate mountain tracks and they throw a bit more variety in here and there. I'm not asking for another Tokyo Megaplex, just something a bit different.

6. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    #27 MidianGTX, Jul 5, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
    Great news! Some of the most hardened and respected (for their insane skills/scores and video captures) SSX fans have been granted a hands-on and the feedback is very good indeed!

I'll post a small quote from the article just to satisfy MrThreeCats post above:

Read the rest here: http://www.gamesradar.com/xbox360/ssx/news/ssx-the-hardcore-fanboy-hands-on-impressions-are-in-and-they-will-make-you-melt-with-joy/a-20110705144839737056/g-2010121275130777025

And here is Gondee's full account of the experience: http://merqurycity.com/ssx_forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=9103

And Soultron's: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=28970629&postcount=89

7. MrThreeCats

MrThreeCats Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2011
    Great news indeed! My worries about this game have completely vanished.

8. AOR

AOR Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2011
    Independent game developer
    San Francisco
    I'm so happy SSX is returning to its old format with some slightly new twists. The best one in the series was SSX3 in my opinion. The only thing that worries me is the ground shockwave effect that happens when you get a high scoring trick. It seems like it lasts for just a little bit too long, and might get tedious after hours of playing. Maybe they'll tweak it just a bit for when it releases.

9. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Yeah that's the one possible downside I've seen so far. It kinda pauses for a moment when you land. It's obviously intentional, but it breaks the flow, and flow is really important in a game like SSX. I think they've seen the comments made on that video though, so they'll be aware of the concern. Lots of people were worried about it and it's very likely the guys at Merqury City brought up the issue when they went over to EA, and if they came back happy then the reply they got must have been reassuring. Perhaps it's only a certain mode? or maybe you can simply switch it off?

10. AOR

AOR Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2011
    Independent game developer
    San Francisco
    Yeah man, I mean...It looks cool the first five times you see it but after that it really is just a flowbreaker, no matter how nice it looks. They should save it up for when you do the highest scoring move the your character has or something.

11. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
  12. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Yeah, this game is looking great. I hope it plays as well as it looks.

13. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    I probably should have posted here after I played the game at the Eurogamer Expo in September, I had a lot to say but I don't quite remember it all now. Anyway, I loved it. The transition from d-pad to stick is perfect, the game feels like SSX should feel, the mountains are absolutely enormous and it was by far the most exciting part of the entire expo for me, even taking priority over Skyrim and Battlefield.

Of course I didn't get to try out all aspects of the game... still eagerly awaiting my chance to check out the wingsuit and tackle the avalanches :)

14. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I ended up putting in a pre-order. I can't wait to try this game out. It looks awesome.

15. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    SSX is just an amazing series. That looks unreal :eek: