iPad Stair Dismount - The Official thread of Love and Fractures

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Frand, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Frand

Frand Well-Known Member

Hey, and thanks!

#1 - No promises, but we're hoping to submit the update as soon as next week. There should be ~3 new levels. Contrary to the common perception, it's not trivially easy to develop new levels that work within the bounds of the simulation and are both fun and offer a significantly different experience. Just 20 staircases with different heights would look like a good number, but they wouldn't be interesting.

#2 - It's too soon to say. We'll be working with Stair Dismount as much as the sales allow, and listening to the community for feedback. But sales are critical for development to happen :)

2. ibelongintheforums

ibelongintheforums Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Questions, what happened to cinnamon beats and top secret ngmoco project?

3. Frand

Frand Well-Known Member

Cinnamon Beats is on the back burner. It's going to be a toy for making music when it's released sometime in the hazy future, but needs a boatload of work to get there.

Regarding the ngmoco project, I'm unfortunately not at liberty to discuss it.

4. Coral

Coral Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    I'm loving the new dismount locations. Can't wait to try them out and give Mr. Dismount some thing new to break his bones on. Still hoping for online high scores.

Is there a possibility that the game could save the replay of highscore dismounts? I have no idea how I reached such high scores on some levels. (probably because I play in rapid fire dismounts)

Thanks for the good work, I hope the sales are strong and you can keep working on the game.

5. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I was wondering if we'll be getting any more variables to play with on the options screen. If you're planning leaderboards then any changes would have to disable scoring/score uploads, but it'd certainly add some replay value to the game if we could adjust things like gravity, mass etc.

6. Fedorov

Fedorov Well-Known Member

May 18, 2009
    Sounds like a quality product so decided to pick this up - very nice indeed, something weird and satisfying about snapping and crunching those bones :)

Look forward to more levels and maybe more obstacles as well as the stairs?

7. Frand

Frand Well-Known Member

Leaderboards are coming in the next update, we're doing our best to submit as soon as possible. The details of the update are in the first post of the thread.

As for manipulating the physics variables, you'd be surprised how much tuning it is to find a combination of mass, gravity, friction and dismount power that works in a game and doesn't break the simulation :) Doubling any of the above (well, not friction) would highly likely result in Mr. Dismount going through the stairs, stopping too quickly or just exploding into pieces...

So, while you're right that it is a feature that would bring more longevity to the game, it has hidden complexities that make it a harder thing to get it implemented quickly.

8. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    The more I play this game, the more I'm dying to have savable replays. I've had some seriously awesome dismounts that I wish I could have saved. Hopefully that feature comes sometime down the line. And even for the replay function that's in it now, I wish there were proper controls to rewind through it and pause where you like or play back at different speeds.
    I agree. I hope this game does really well, and you continue to add to it. As it is now, this is one of my favorite and most played games. Despite it seeming more basic than the competition, this game has yet to get old to me. Even on the first basic stair set. I just don't want to stop playing. The physics are so complex, that every single dismount is different. Even if you don't move your impact point and use the same force, he falls differently every time. It's creepily life-like as he tumbles over and over, and creepily entertaining to myself. :) Any additions to this game only stand to make it even more entertaining. Now everyone go buy this game and then create a new iTunes account and then buy it again... just in case. ;)

Has there ever been any talk of having a Mrs. Dismount in this game?? Wouldn't mind importing a picture of my ex-girlfriend and sending her on a nice trip :p

9. Fedorov

Fedorov Well-Known Member

May 18, 2009
    Gotta agree, let some friends play it tonight and it is seriously addictive and everyone oooh's and aaaah's at some of the landings and great sound effects :)

10. sticktron

sticktron Well-Known Member

Mr. Dismount is androgenous enough to be used on girlfriends, sisters, etc.

11. TKO

TKO Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Yeah, I think the possibility to add voices to the dummy would be nice. It might not be appropriate for a 'simulation'.. um, but maybe that would make for a more *accurate* simulation, eh?

Also, should there be special points awarded for a face-plant? Sure, it's good to get a good hit on the noggin at the final landing; but when you get a perfect face-plant on the ground, I think that should be rewarded.

This game is ripe for achievements to be added:
    Flip the bird: two flips without structure contact
    Freefall: hit the ground at x miles an hour
    Ballerina: a one and a half spin before hitting your head
    Tadah!: land feet first
    Cat-like: lands on hands and feet
    Faceplant: land face first
    Nothing but Net: hit the ground directly - no structure contact.

Hmmmm... That's all that comes to mind so far. :D Loving the game. Can't wait for that new tower level.

12. amusing Grace

amusing Grace Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Music, Muse, Magick
    Berlin, Germany
    Achievements sounds fun!

13. Frand

Frand Well-Known Member

Achievements are a high priority for us, but will not be in the next update. On the positive side, the social platform supports achievements, so they can be added with reasonable effort later.

It does need much more analytics to be coded into the game, though, to recognize the different events in game logic that we would like to reward the player for.

14. TKO

TKO Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Oh oh! I just thought of more achievements with my (terrible) achievements last night:

Butter Fingers: Don't manage to leave the starting platform.
    Lead Foot: Don't even manage to move your feet from their starting position.
    Groin Injury: Self explanatory. :)
    Stargazer: Land flat on your back. (on the ground)
    Belly Flop: Land flat on your stomach. (on the ground)
    Headache: Manage to hit your head (hard) on three separate platforms.

At first I wasn't finding this as fun as the original PC Stair Dismount. But it really grows on you. :) ..Oh, and sorry I didn't spot all the camera angles you could set up for the actual dismount before I suggested them. :eek: Would be nice to be able to set a specific camera for when you launch though, rather than zooming in, setting the push-point, zoom out, rotate the view, launch.

But yeah, loving the game. This is so ripe for sequels, like the obvious truck/car/trike/wheelchair/whatever-you-want-to-choose dismount .. maybe a dismount-deluxe which could have destination targets (a-la Pilot Wings) and explosive points / hotplates (like the sauna) and other reactive objects.

Mr. Dismount could become quite a franchise. :D

15. iiAtlas

iiAtlas Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    New York City
    Wow, Great idea!

This would really add some substance to the game!

16. tonic

tonic Active Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Thanks for the nice ideas about different achievements! :D

17. TKO

TKO Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2009
    I can just keep thinking them up.. :p
    High Dive: head-first vertical landing.
    Prayer Master: land on knees then head slumped forward.
    I Can See My House From Here!: Get a full x seconds of air-time.
    Windmill Baby!: full 360 degree sideways turn.

I think fun names for the achievements will fit well with the games humour and encourage players to get into them. I can imagine the High Dive one might be difficult to interpret in the game-logic, but most of the others I've mentioned are mostly checks on the body-points hitting the ground, or timers. ..I've probably spammed the achievements idea enough now. Back to the conversation at hand.. :)

18. polyfonken

polyfonken Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

There's probably still some work left (read: DAYS!) before we can submit but I have to say, these three new levels are a gas and we're quite thrilled about the leaderboards. Anyhoo, this one is called "Loose Bindings" and it lets Mr. D. experience a new way of skiing.

19. TKO

TKO Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Oh, you guys *rule*. Yessir.

20. Asphyxiation

Asphyxiation Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Is this worth getting? Cause it does look pretty fun.