Star Command (Game Dev Story meets Star Trek)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by crex, Apr 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
  2. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Some people thought they were getting a pony. They will be disappointed, too.

3. dib

dib Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2011
    My only disappointment was reading that they are planning IAP. This is one of the games I was most looking forward to, but I think I'm going to pass entirely.

4. spockgold007

spockgold007 Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2011
    death star
    i think they mentioned a unique character

5. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Yeah, I hate it when designers provide more content at an additional price for those who really enjoy the game! :confused:

6. cplr

cplr Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    To be fair, the Kickstarter page *did* say you would get a copy of the game if you bought the $25 level. They obviously edited this out later on, but I most definitely saw the words "receive a copy of the game" when I first read the Kickstarter page. There is a reason lots of people are confused.

7. Jyankee30

Jyankee30 Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2010
    New York
    Yes, now it's a conspiracy.

8. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    So I'm a bit confused is there going to be IAP or not?
    I'm hoping not.

9. cplr

cplr Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Yes. From the kickstarter page:

10. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    I doubt it. You're claiming they are lying. I will need more than your word to believe that.

11. bluewomble88

bluewomble88 Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2009
    I distinctly remember it stating you would get the game for a $25 donation, in fact I nearly donated as a result (but didn't).

12. cplr

cplr Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    I really don't care if you believe me or not. I'll still buy the game when it comes out. I'm not here to detract people from buying it or contributing to their Kickstarter project. I have no "goal" here. I am just saying, I know what I saw when I first read their Kickstarter campaign, and it said that $25 or more gets a copy of the game and the DLC (as opposed to only DLC now). I wondered how they would go about this, considering you only get 100 promo codes to give away, and probably more than 100 people would contribute to that level or above.

bluewomble88 above also remembers this.

Again, I really don't care if you believe me or not. It's not a conspiracy, I am not calling them liars, but I am saying that they changed their listing and for whatever reason, are not admitting it as the cause for the confusion. Are they denying that they did this? I haven't read this thread, and I haven't read what they said on Kickstarter. I only came here to report what I saw.

If they are denying that they changed the listing, then yes, they are lying. If they did not deny it, then they are just not mentioning that they are actually at fault for this confusion. Again: I don't care either way. They will get my money.

13. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    According to the Kickstarter FAQ, it's not possible to edit rewards after people have already signed up at that level. So, now you're asking us to believe not just that the Star Command developers are lying, but the Kickstarter team is colluding with them in this conspiracy. :confused:

14. cplr

cplr Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    How are you confused? The answer is obvious, then. It's possible we both saw the campaign before anyone signed up for that level.

15. bluewomble88

bluewomble88 Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2009
    It does seem strange and, of course, there is a small chance I am mistaken. However, I do remember something about a $25 donation bagging you a copy of the game along with all future updates. It does seem strange for sure....
    Doesn't matter in my case as I'll buy it anyway.

16. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    It doesn't seem in the realm of possibility to me. Other complainers are among those who actually did sign up, and are claiming it was promised when they signed up. And your theory would require that you visited the site, along with many other people, all of whom considered signing up but declined to do so, before any of the 751 people who actually did sign up at the $25 level (so far).

The theory that human memory is fallible, seems far more consistent with all of the facts.

It would be nice if Kickstarter maintained a complete, publicly viewable, archive of the entire project history.

17. spockgold007

spockgold007 Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2011
    death star
    does it really matter, just skip the coffee in the morning and you have enough money :p

18. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    I'm always amazed when I see someone sitting in a thousand dollar first class seat whining about some minor cost for something or other. Obviously, if you're willing to contribute $25 to support a game, a few dollars to buy it is not significant. But it's a psychological thing.

19. jasonc506

jasonc506 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Yeah you people are unbelievable. You obviously cared enough for the game to help them make it and yet your too cheap to buy the game wow. Speaking about the game I hope it lives up to the hype because it looks great and I can't wait for it.

20. jpcoombs

jpcoombs Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2011
    No Game with Kickstarter

Sorry about the confusion to all. It really was never included, but the clarity of that fact was clearly lacking. We have done our best to amend that. Again, kickstarter is not an online market place - it's a place to generate funds to make a game. We can now make sound effects for the game, were looking at a second developer and our music costs are taken care of. We commissioned a badass poster and really this money allows us to breathing room when it comes to just about everything we want to do with the game.

We're not going to Cabo, not laying back and going "mission accomplished" and if you have ever done game development you know that you can burn through 27k VERY quickly. We are conservative with the money though and have no delusions of grandeur - the money was given to us to make a badass game and thats EXACTLY what were gonna use it for. You have our collective word.

Again - sorry about the confusion. We appreciate both sides though, people that said it was confusing and misleading and the people that defended us. All that said, lets move on, shall we?

Here, let's start a new debate.

Premium or freemium?

Cheers,
    Warballoon