Star Command (Game Dev Story meets Star Trek)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by crex, Apr 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Estupendo1

Estupendo1 Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2012
    lol, link for the lazy: http://www.facebook.com/StarCommandGame

When is TouchArcade getting their preview copy?! :cool:

2. Gabriel.Voyager

Gabriel.Voyager Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2009
    IT Consultant
    Turin - Italy
    I start to think that the game was only vaporware...

3. studepaber007

studepaber007 Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2011
    Ohio
    Really really (x 100) looking forward to this one!

4. nkarafo

nkarafo Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Pst. Don't express all these excitements because they will increase the price :D

5. dib

dib Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2011
    So what is the IAP situation? And how much will it cost on launch, so we don't end up surprised if it turns out to be $8.

6. Estupendo1

Feb 10, 2012
    Devs have mentioned something along the lines of between $2-$4 iirc, although don't quote me on that! The IAP is along the lines of TF2 hats they've also said. I guess it'll be finalized near launch. Devs are optimistic about how close they've got to finishing dev work.

I think it'd be good if they did a website with info and stuff near launch for FAQ and Media and stuff like that. :)

7. MrAlbum

MrAlbum Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2012
    Student
    Alaska
    Admittedly, I myself am becoming impatient with anticipation ^_^

As they said on their Facebook (linked on the previous page) what is left is "bugs, balance and the Android conversion". So essentially, the game is in Beta now! Awesome! Granted, it looks to be a highly closed beta, though....

I like the premise of the game and how the underlying theme is chaos, and it's the player's job to make some kind of half-baked sense of it. Kairosoft games suffer from a lack of this very same chaos, which prevents them from being engaging beyond a certain "burnout" period. Kairosoft makes deep games mechanics-wise, but once you understand the rules in one of their games it becomes a nonstop lather-rinse-repeat of the "winning" strategy, so I have high hopes for this game to avoid a similar trap.

I like the unbridled honesty of the devs. As a wise man (Baha'u'llah, Founder of the Baha'i Faith) said, "truthfulness is the foundation of all human virtues." "Without truthfulness, progress and success, among all the worlds of God, are impossible for any soul." The devs have tirelessly championed the truth of their product, and I can only see them going up and up, even if the upward movement turns out to be more of a moral victory ^_^

Good luck, Star Command! You've got one admirer waiting for you in space dock!

Sincerely,

Mr. Album

Was that the first time I quoted religious scripture in this forum?

Heh heh...

I meant it as praise!

8. visionwebs

visionwebs Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    #728 visionwebs, Sep 20, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
    Never mind that rant was pointless, I just put my technical hat on haha.

Looking forward to this game though and some videos would be brilliant!

9. Toyota974

Toyota974 New Member

Sep 13, 2012
    NUMBER 2!!!, turn based would make the game feel slow and alot less exciting/frantic.

10. MCPhatman

MCPhatman Member

May 17, 2012
    So i'm wondering in how much this game is going to differ from FTL.

11. Sotoro

Sotoro Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    Still no Release date for this one?

12. GR3NADE

GR3NADE Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2011
    Czech republic
    I'd like turn based gameplay :)

13. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #733 Ayjona, Sep 25, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
    Hopefully in may ways, most significantly in depth and scope (something FTL does not provide), and in freedom of movement and exploration. FTL is a very narrow and specialized experience, giving the player little time to see the sights, vaporize or seduce or buy the hearts and minds of the locals, and to meander about the universe at a relaxed pace, and does not provide a world with much in the ways of local flavour and character, any dynamic mechanics, variation between systems, stations and points of interest, or much reason to invest in and care about the setting (supposedly sacrificed in favour of the chase concept, but an experience I believe would have been all the greater with the inclusion of all these additional thematic and mechanic layers).

So far, what I've seen of Star Command actually seems to point at a more sophisticated level of simulation, making FTL the more ideal mobile experience from a traditional perspective (controls, UI and screen real estate notwithstanding). I hope that's the case, and like the turnabout. Take that, desktop devices!

14. Estupendo1

Feb 10, 2012
    Devs have confirmed it's RTS {combat}. There's a few advantages to this:

1. In fact similar to FTL that you move/order crew ats as manage the ship SIMULTANEOUSLY. Makes the experience much more interactive and reactive.
    2. It's more arcadey and chaotic so you are under pressure to deal with problems as they arise and make spur of the moment captain decisions (than tbs).
    3. On mobile I think it's going to be more popular this way and it fits the idea of the sci-fi shows such as trek and so on more when the sh!t hits the fan.

So in turn-based I think it's about optimal strategy, whereas in this real-time it's about "fire fighting" (is a guess). That is sorta what I think is happening.

I think FTL as a roguelike-like will have deeper systems and more repeat value than what Star Command might be going for. The roguelike feel of random battles and chosen upgrades is intended to be played many times so players iterate their approach to winning the game. RNG'ing plays a big role. Whereas having listened to the awesome music for the kickstarter backers for SC, it seems more that SC will be like episodic missions with more structured objectives/combats that should balance the customization options you choose and your team/ship grows with each win and each win allows you to progress with the story. That would be a lot different from trying your hand each time with FTL and death being an integral part of the game. I'm not sure what extent devs will expect players to have to restart an entire game again due to failure? (personally hope it's rock hard tough!).

The enemy ships visualisation seems much more condensed on the smaller smart devices also. I'm hoping if they do a PC version they could add a strategy layer/feature/UI to the game to make use of more of the screen space.

15. wuzmaname

wuzmaname Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Have any of you heard anything from the developers? Having eaten up 2 rounds of kickstarter funding, and having mentioned a end o summer release date (which, unless I am wrong, has pass), we are still without a game.

I've backed 1 of the 2 projects, and I do get the odd occasional 30 second soundtrack, or animation. But honestly, you get to a point where you say enough is enough.

I know that with the 2nd round of funding they hired a great animator (I remember seeing that mentioned) and they are revamping everything until it is "perfect". But how long can they honestly expect us to keep hanging with the attitude of "we will release it when it's ready"? Not to mention the extra real estate on the iPhone 5 just being released (I put money down that they've gone back and looking at that too..)

So developers, please, just give me a straight answer. I can deal with summer 2020, but at least I know you're being honest about it.

Sorry for the rant, but just saw the top 10 most awaited list and seeing this game still on there just made my blood boil.

16. nkarafo

nkarafo Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
    The developers have replied previously that they want to release the game more than you! Ok, you will play it but they on the other hand will receive money. So, it's not ok if they just sit there and doing nothing. Have patience. Besides this game, I'm waiting for Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes iphone port. They announced it on 28-6-12 and they said that it is coming soon and now it's almost October and no news at all.. No release date at all. ..Oh well. It's not a big deal but it's frustrating.

17. Estupendo1

Feb 10, 2012
    #737 Estupendo1, Sep 29, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
    Well Topia: World Builder has finally made it to the app approval process - that was in development for about year iirc - so similar to star command, except had more feedback and so on about star command - and they made the mistake of giving a few dates too. Live and learn.

Also what's happened to Faraway? That also is on my Top 10 Most Wanted List.

Latest from devs @wuzmaname:

They're posting a few images once a week to for them that like that sort of update also: http://www.facebook.com/StarCommandGame

[​IMG]

Rooms looks awesome. :) [Edit: Yellow = color-code for Engineer rooms; blue-sci, red-tac :)]

18. wuzmaname

wuzmaname Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Thanks.. I guess this is to patience and waiting...

*Fingers Crossed*

19. jecebn

jecebn Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    Any new updates?

20. Firetruck94

Firetruck94 Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2012
    on mars
    They said middle of October...