Star Command (Game Dev Story meets Star Trek)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by crex, Apr 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Stop waiting on games then. Nobody said this was Baldur's Gate in terms of length, that's just you idealizing with no good evidence. If anything, the clues have pointed to it being short, with the only comparisons being to roguelikes.

2. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    +1 to that.
    I've been excited this was being made since I first heard about it. No developer works on my plans for a release schedule though. Nor should they.
    As for the length, I think it's ideal. A shorter game with replayability is what I prefer on iOS titles.

This game has a great potential and I hope it is a great experience and success when it launches.

3. VisceriousZERO

VisceriousZERO Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Really excited for this, I don't care about the length, perfect for me.

Been a fan of the kairosoft games and this looks right up my alley, especially the Star Trek-ness of it all.

Can't wait! :)

4. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Well I know its gonna be around 4.99

5. coxy

coxy Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2011
    England
    So...we're now in January...do we have a release date impending..?

6. studepaber007

studepaber007 Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2011
    Ohio
    This ^^^

7. bramblett05

Aug 29, 2012
    Well we have what 3 weeks remaining?

8. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    That's a fair price! I hope it's true, I wouldn't want this soured by a freemium model and all the pitfalls, hurdles and gameplay pacing obstacles that come with its structure in order to stretch and thin an experience!

9. bramblett05

Aug 29, 2012
    Check out the Facebook page they update more on that just search for star command

10. DotComCTO

DotComCTO Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Chief Technology Officer
    Westchester County, NY
    Right. So, I posted this in the comments for the SC article on the PocketTactics site, but I'll post it here as well.

I have two observations:

1. Warballoon basically implied that the game was done, but they were going to release in January to avoid the December App Store game glut; however, reading the blog post from 1 week ago, it seems that the game is *still* being debugged and/or enhanced. Something doesn't ring true here.

2. I sure hope the soft launch includes the Kickstarter contributors. In my opinion, it would be unacceptable not to do that. If someone deserves to play the game a little early, it's the contributors.

From the outside looking in, this whole project has been a debacle. I don't think these guys realized what they were getting into when they went down the Kickstarter route. I think they had great intentions...and then reality hit. I get the sinking feeling that if we ever see the game, it is going to be fun, but very short; lots of good ideas and limited execution.

At a 3-5 hour game, I don't see how Warballoon is going to be able to hit a home run with this game *unless* the planned episodic content starts flowing VERY quickly after the initial release.

--DotComCTO

11. Doctor U

Doctor U Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2010
    Actor/Coke Bear
    ATL
    Bingo Bango

12. venasque

venasque Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    To be honest I've given up on this game. I was interested in it, back in the summer of 2011 when I first heard about it. Then it was delayed and then a second Kickstarter campaign even when they hadn't delivered on the first one.

In some ways I feel like this is similar to Doom (although obviously less extreme). The project that is continuously in development and will have a hard time living up to expectations at this point.

I do hope I'm wrong (when/if it comes out). I was following the game for a while and I'm super interested, but at this point I have to admit I'm getting annoyed and tend to avoid all Star Command news as a result.

13. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    It seems hard to understand then why you're reading and posting in this thread. :confused:

14. gemineye62

gemineye62 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010
    #814 gemineye62, Jan 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
    For me, the 3-5 hr length of this game is not an issue at all. You will pay 10
    dollars to see a movie......so half the price for a game is pretty good entertainment value I think. If it has some replay value , then all the better.

Don't get discouraged developers , by some of the comments posted by a few
    people. There are many people who are thankful we have games being developed that could show great promise....games that are not cookie
    cutter copies of games seen many times over.

Thank you!

15. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA

I play games for a different reason than I watch movies (and, frankly, I don't go to many movies). I like the development aspect, the idea that as I learn how the game works it becomes more and more interesting. My problem with a 5 hour game isn't that a dollar an hour is too much to pay. My problem is that I don't want to spend any of my time learning and getting engaged in a game that I'm only going to play for 5 hours.

16. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    It's a shame to hear people blame Star Command and it's developers for being transparent with players. Even if it means waiting through teasers or promising information about a game that is months/years away from launch the journey is much more interesting when developers share their progress. Especially in Star Command to watch user response to ther Kickstarter and ideas come up here and there has been "3-5 hours" of content alone. Even if it's another year before the game comes out I'm glad they've discussed it's development and been open with the gaming community.

17. venasque

venasque Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    That is a fair statement for sure. I can also see one assuming I'm just an impatient troll. I can address the former, but unfortuneately can't do much about the latter.

I saw this from TouchArcades main page as a thread with recent comments. While I do get annoyed by the constant delays my curiousity outweighed that annoyance and I decided to check. I had hoped for an official release date at last (which may have renewed my excitement, not sure though tbh).

Once I saw that nothing had really changed after all this time, on a whim I vented my frustrations (in the past I've just grumbled to myself and moved on to a different topic, something I'll likely do going forward to avoid derailing this thread).

18. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    I don't think anyone is blaming them for being transparent. It's the information they are communicating that people find discouraging, not the decision to communicate it. The game is a cool concept but the team doesn't seem to have the resources or capacity to do justice. So people (understandably) find that disappointing.

19. DotComCTO

DotComCTO Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Chief Technology Officer
    Westchester County, NY
    OK. I respect your take on it. Here's mine: Warballoon has over promised and not delivered anything other than occasional progress reports, a screen shot here and there, and a video of the gameplay from 3 or 4 months ago. They've blown through multiple deadlines and ran not one, but TWO Kickstarter campaigns. As a 30 year veteran of the IT industry, here's what that tells me:

1. They had a great premise, but did not know what it would take to execute on the premise.

2. The game engines turned out to be far more complicated then they ever could have considered.

3. They don't know how to manage their development & QA targets, and now, they seemingly committed to a January "soft launch" because they didn't want to get lost in the holiday App Store shuffle; however, it is clear that they are still developing and debugging the game. So I am dubious that they will release the product they envision in January.

4. The QA effort far exceeded their expectations. This is likely a by-product of not planning all the test cases in advance and/or executing appropriate unit testing as each game module/engine was completed. I suspect that a lot of the game has been coded and re-coded and that has further complicated the testing.

Now, being a long time IT veteran as well as a long time gamer, I get it. Do I want to play the game soon? Yes. Do I want Warballoon to get it right? Definitely. Can I wait a lot longer? Yes.

Look. At the end of the day, this is just a game. It isn't going to change my life, and I also have a TON of other games to get to on multiple devices! I just think that Warballoon hasn't been as transparent as you think they have because it is completely unclear when the game will be released and what the real obstacles have been.

Sorry for the long winded post.

:cool:

--DotComCTO

20. knighthalo123

knighthalo123 Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2011
    As long as they can release the game, its fine, these developers have screwed up with their develoment dates, as long as they keep working on it. It's fine.