Universal Star Warfare: Alien Invasion - (by Freyr Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Jan 21, 2012.

1. undead.exe

undead.exe Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2012
    If you want to do the test run with me, then I can volunteer as the runner: I've got the STK.F pack and a half-upgraded Morpheus (might use the Windblade instead till later) so you can save your mithril for something more shiny :p

2. undead.exe

Jun 20, 2012
    Glad you've found something new in the game to enjoy, but don't neglect your studies :D

Yeah, the Trinity is quite a dangerous close-range weapon in PvP. If you're fighting against it, the best thing you can do is to avoid narrow spaces, and run in a relatively open place with your back against a wall. Narrow corridors are where Windblade and Trinity users are at their most dangerous, so if you're approaching a corner or a wall, run in a slightly wider berth so you can engage them at mid- to long-range, or escape quickly before they can get right on top of you.

That doesn't mean you should completely avoid narrow corridors and random walls/obstacles though - they're very useful to duck behind if someone surprises you out in the open. In other words, a little bit of space management, much like what you told me for another game :p

3. Drummerboycroy

Drummerboycroy Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    Yeah, it's a nice surprise for sure. As for my studies? Not much chance of neglect... trust me.:rolleyes:;):D

Wrote 40+ pages this past 3 days...:eek:

I must say, I'm warming up to Darth Ronfar's TDM/CTF idea...

I need to figure out what exactly is going on in CTF. I'm pretty sure I stink at it, mostly because I can never figure out what I should be doing...:eek:

DBC

4. undead.exe

Jun 20, 2012
    Good lord, we've got essay assignments here in uni, but 40 pages sounds like a horror story o____O

CTF...I need to play that myself >.<
    Usually, what happens is that you have to capture the enemy flag, and then take it back over to your own base to win. The presence of a timer makes me question whether that's actually what happens though. Can someone confirm what happens in Freyr's version of CTF?

Darth Ronfar: If you're reading this, you might want to consider putting a link to your Star Warfare PvP Thread in your signature, though I would also encourage the creation of a third thread on the Player's Group if it makes things easier to see from one central point :p

For anyone who wanted Darth Ronfar's thread:
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=147130

For the record, my own PvP details are as follows:

GC: undead.exe (don't add me if avoidable plz >.>)
    Armour: Full Cygni, STK bag
    Weapons: Nova-27, Black Stars, RPG-31, Trinity (may occasionally swap this line-up)

5. Sheinfell

Sheinfell Well-Known Member

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    Sure, we can do a run or three together.
    But didn't you say something about needing to catch sleep :D ? Isn't it around midnight for you already? Don't want to keep you up.

6. undead.exe

Jun 20, 2012
    Yeah, it is =.="
    Not right now, sorry, I meant in a few days' time >.<

I've got a little more prep work to finish up for tomorrow, so gonna get back to that and then hit the sack. Main thing was that I wanted to offer a spare STK.F pack before you ended up spending mithril on that before the toys you wanted :D

7. Sheinfell

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    Sounds like a plan, let me know when you have time. Anyone else, feel free to jump in as well.

8. Darth Ronfar

Darth Ronfar Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Animal related
    LA
    Jump In for what exatly?

9. Sheinfell

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    #4949 Sheinfell, Aug 6, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
    DarthR, look at the discussion starting on page 493 of this thread.
    By chance, I found a scenario where a speed loadout looks really useful.
    We talked about doing a few testruns, to see how it works out.

---
    Oh, and by the way: Can you try to post a new discussion in the Group, titled "PvP - Match Setups, Talk, Etc." ?
    I don't know if other people can start threads there, and this looks like a good chance to try it out.
    The button should be at the bottom of the discussions list, labeled "Post New Discussion".

10. Drummerboycroy

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    Yeah, I have to write a grant proposal... *Sigh*

@ Darth Ronfar -

I might be interested in your team idea after all. I'm kind of liking PvP, more than I would have assumed...:eek:;):D

If I'm going to be a productive team member, I'm going to need some advice on strategy.

As for my load-out:

Rank 12

Armor: Full Perseus, full Thunder
    Weapons: Windblade, Nova-27, M-27B1 (all Level 8)
    Packs: FLOAT, STK, Blademaster

If there's something you think I need, let me know. I'm sitting on a pile of Gold/Mithril and looking for something to buy... I'm seriously looking at the Cygni/Triniti.

DBC

11. Drummerboycroy

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    Just went back and reread the whole conversation... talk about lol...

A new generation of freeloaders is born!:p:rolleyes:;):D

I'll be thinking of you and undead.exe every time a player "helps" me from now on...:p:rolleyes:;):D

DBC

12. undead.exe

Jun 20, 2012
    Don't get me wrong -- if I get a runner who does nothing BUT run from the boss, Freyr's gonna get bombarded by emails requesting the "eat the freeloader" mechanism...

13. Sheinfell

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    Go read my first post again then :)
    What this guy did actually *was* helpful during the alien wave, that was the whole point of the thing.
    And yes, he definitely pulled his weight during the bossfight, so I say he was not a freeloader.
    For pulling this off, you have to rely on your teammates to kill everything around you before it hits you. I would *not* try this with some randoms, chances are too high you get toasted in the process.

14. JediKnight

JediKnight Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2012
    DarthGuy's Deathstar
    CTF is like this, here is one flag and someone captures it and then you have to kill them to get the flag. If you hold the flag for 40 srconds you guys get (i think) 50 points. If you are any color when the arrow is white it is noones flag, if you are the same color as arrow it means a teammate has the flag, if there is no arrow, the flag has not been placed yet.

And DBC about the trinity, you know what I'd say.:p:D

15. JediKnight

Jul 24, 2012
    DarthGuy's Deathstar
    Read my previous post.:p

16. undead.exe

Jun 20, 2012
    #4956 undead.exe, Aug 6, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
    I'd say the main difference in the two arguments here is how we define "freeloading", because up until now, most players who chose not to shoot were doing so to conserve ammo. The pattern was generally such that players who didn't fire a bullet in the rush phase would almost certainly do nothing against the boss either.

Now, most freeloading basically manifests in one of two ways during the rush phase:
    • They spend the whole match hiding behind you, waiting for you to kill everything (commonly seen on Siegfried)

• They spend the whole match away from your camping spot, because that's where everything is spawning -- but then come running back to you when they've got a bull trying to impale them through their buttocks (most commonly seen on Double Rages)

Basically, these two forms of freeloading are focused on survival without lifting a finger. I will quite happily mow everything down if a freeloader doesn't want to kill them, because that's more gold for me -- doesn't mean I'm going to help them out in the boss fight though.

Now, the question we have here is whether a complete lack of ammo expenditure necessarily equates to "freeloading". In the case of the runner that Sheinfell mentions, I'm not inclined to agree with that statement, because that player was taking more risk running around rather than simply hiding even further back on the hill - he would have found it much easier to conserve his HP and survive till the boss fight had he done that.

For me, that line of reasoning does not extend to running around in a boss fight, because of the following reasons:

1. The amount of gold you get from defeating a boss does not vary according to your ammo expenditure as it does when you expend ammo to kill enemies in the rush phase. Thus, only ammo expenditure varies, while the projected reward is fixed - you are not providing a net benefit to your teammates when you let them shoot more bullets here.

2. Boss attacks are relatively random. While there seems to be ways of goading the boss into focusing its attention on one player over another, I don't think the correlation is strong enough to warrant a player running around as a "service" in exchange for not shooting his gun at all.

3. There is only one (or two, in the case of Double Rages) boss - there's no need to engage in fancy crowd control here when your attention isn't divided over a swarm -- surely, adding some firepower into the equation should be easy enough even for a player acting as the bait.

But yeah, that's basically the core difference in the two views here: one view holds that all players hold the obligation and responsibility to fire weapons (while keeping themselves alive) in both parts of the match, whereas the other holds that acting as a distraction so that your teammates can speed up the run is an acceptable form of teamplay because there's a net benefit in both gold and time to the gunners (ignoring the "gold" part, think about how one player with a rifle can bait a Drill-Mech while the other with a crossbow can attack it from behind...ahem >.>). However, I won't deny that some players may miss the point and assume that it's alright to "act as a distraction" against the boss too when the benefit is minimal to non-existent -- we've seen a few times that random players don't necessarily act in the smartest or most logical of manners...

Yeah, I reckon that's not gonna really change anyone's stances, but I tend to like discussing both sides of a "debate", per se >.>

------------

Edit: Also, if you see me standing near an enemy and not shooting it, please don't think I'm freeloading -- I'm probably encouraging you to kill it, because I only behave like that when I know a person I'm playing with wants gold :)

Hiding behind people just isn't my style -- I like making things explode too much >.>

17. undead.exe

Jun 20, 2012
    ...that actually sounds more like "Oddball" from the Halo series rather than Capture the Flag.

(If anyone actually knows what the proper name of the game "Oddball" was derived from is, please lemme know -- I Googled "Keepaway", but that didn't really satisfy me)

18. JediKnight

Jul 24, 2012
    DarthGuy's Deathstar
    I'd say the main difference in the two arguments here is how we define "freeloading", because up until now, most players who chose not to shoot were doing so to conserve ammo. The pattern was generally such that players who didn't fire a bullet in the rush phase would almost certainly do nothing against the boss either.

Now, most freeloading basically manifests in one of two ways during the rush phase:
    • They spend the whole match hiding behind you, waiting for you to kill everything (commonly seen on Siegfried)

• They spend the whole match away from your camping spot, because that's where everything is spawning -- but then come running back to you when they've got a bull trying to impale them through their buttocks (most commonly seen on Double Rages)

Basically, these two forms of freeloading are focused on survival without lifting a finger. I will quite happily mow everything down if a freeloader doesn't want to kill them, because that's more gold for me -- doesn't mean I'm going to help them out in the boss fight though.

Now, the question we have here is whether a complete lack of ammo expenditure necessarily equates to "freeloading". In the case of the runner that Sheinfell mentions, I'm not inclined to agree with that statement, because that player was taking more risk running around rather than simply hiding even
    further back on the hill - he would have found it much easier to conserve his HP and survive till the boss fight had he done that.

For me, that line of reasoning does not extend to running around in a boss fight, because of the following reasons:

1. The amount of gold you get from defeating a boss does not vary according to your ammo expenditure as it does when you expend ammo to kill enemies in the rush phase. Thus, only ammo expenditure varies, while the projected reward is fixed - you are not providing a net benefit to your teammates when you let them shoot more bullets here.

2. Boss attacks are relatively random. While there seems to be ways of goading the boss into focusing its attention on one player over another, I don't think the correlation is strong enough to warrant a player running around as a "service" in exchange for not shooting his gun at all.

3. There is only one (or two, in the case of Double Rages) boss - there's no need to engage in fancy crowd control here when your attention isn't divided over a swarm -- surely, adding some firepower into the equation should be easy enough even for a player acting as the bait.

But yeah, that's basically the core difference in the two views here: one view holds that all players hold the obligation and responsibility to fire weapons (while keeping themselves alive) in both parts of the match, whereas the other holds that acting as a distraction so that your teammates can speed up the run is an acceptable form of teamplay because there's a net benefit in both gold and time to the gunners (ignoring the "gold" part, think about how one player with a rifle can bait a Drill-Mech while the other with a crossbow can attack it from behind...ahem >.>). However, I won't deny that some players may miss the point and assume that it's alright to "act as a distraction" against the boss too when the benefit is minimal to non-existent -- we've seen a few times that random players don't necessarily act in the smartest or most logical of manners...

Yeah, I reckon that's not gonna really change anyone's stances, but I tend to like discussing both sides of a "debate", per se >.>

Changed it for you.:)

19. JediKnight

Jul 24, 2012
    DarthGuy's Deathstar
    How much mithril do you hav, enough for trinity? Well since you want to be a speedy ninja you wear cyngi making me think you should get a gold rocket launcher, they are quite useful at times, when in sniping position. If you can afford trinity get it and upgrade fully. People have fallen many times under my bow...

20. JediKnight

Jul 24, 2012
    DarthGuy's Deathstar
    10 kills 0 deaths, I love PvP and I was playing against a noob, a cyngi armor guy, and an atom armor guy took them down mwith nova/trinity ending with practically full health(regeneration). I love this, I totally reccomend health regeneration...