Universal Star Wars - Heroes Path (by Disney)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Eli, Jun 17, 2015.

1. guzzla

guzzla Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 12, 2015
    It looks a lot like Hitman Go to me, with a Star Wars skin and maybe a few twists. I wish they would make some good original content with this license instead of just copying successful games with a star wars skin. I am sucker for puzzlers though and I did like Hitman Go so I may give it a shot. Right now I am teetering.

2. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    I know. I loved Hitman Go and I still have Pit Droids on my phone even though it's off the App Store. I like puzzle games, but would love to see some new games. Rebels Recon gave me hope. Everything since is worrying me. At least from what I've read and heard. I need to find a longer video of this one.

3. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    I agree that game was very good even though Disney put it out :) have to agree and I like the Star Wars rebels series as well. I am reading reviews hoping it's better than I think as I am not writing it off yet.

4. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    To be fair its near impossible to please every star wars fan. SW Rebels was a great platform/ run n gun type game. Most of the others seem to be for kids, this seems a bit in between

I just wish they would release Rogue Squadron/Dark Forces games on iOS, companies out there would be happy to convert them, you can get these on Android (copy over the main level packs etc), shame we cant buy legal copies. Instead these old games are gathering dust, shame

5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Right i'm going in ! Wish me luck ! Just bought

Impressions shortly

6. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Love star wars but still a bit unsure about this but what the hell, its a few dollars, 'could' be decent.

A different graphic style. Bit annoying the games £3 but still has IAP's. Can buy a value pack - early access to all puzzles for £7.99 (about 12 dollars !), can also buy hints, eg 15 yoda hints for £4 and hero power. Hmm already i'm nervous after buying this ! Bit annoying when its a paid game

Has achievements as well, not too fussed by those

Anyway onto the game...

First section - Boarding party. Need to get i presume 30 stars before it unlocks the next section.

Nice animations of the opening of Star Wars, so it kinda like tells the story of the film. The blockade runner gets attacked etc. First puzzle seems to be trying to escape. Touch the floor to move a space etc. So first 'puzzle' is just to move to the end point

Move one square at a time by pressing the floor, the character 'jumps' a bit like 'Hitman Go' a bit, as in its like its a playing figure on a board game.

Second level, reach the goal again. Bit harder as theres a stormtrooper there. Walk round him and its done. Walk on the square next to him and you get killed. Can try again or buy 'hints'. So yeah so far its a 'bit' like Hitman Go but star wars. Hmm theres a time limit for 'bring me those plans', 12 minutes, then you get 3 stars. Bit annoying

Next level you use 'hero power' to 'confuse' the stormtrooper to get past him. Next one get the Death Star plans by standing on a button to open a forcefield. Small animation of Princess Leia trying to escape, she gives the plans to R2 and its onto the next bit.

So far its been quite easy, avoiding troopers, pressing buttons to open/close forcefields. Then use R2 to open/close forcefields etc. But i am enjoying it.

Its like a 'kid friendly' Star Wars version of Hitman Go (so far). Kinda tells the story of the film with small comic strip/audio type pictures between some of the levels.

Got near the end of the first level, i've now unlocked the desert (Tatooine)

You seem to get the first 3 levels free , then Mos Eisley onwards seem to be an IAP. The Han Level package is £1.49 for 12 levels, Ben Level £1.49 for 12 levels. So theres 10 sections, each section has about 8 levels. The first one was quite easy, unsure about the rest

Its difficult as i do like this but i think its appalling that this app loads of kids will want and its full of IAP's to unlock the rest. You can buy 'Ben and Han' levels for £2.99 (instead of 1.49 each)

But its the fact also the hints and stuff also cost money if you want more of them.

They should have just priced this up at say £4.99 with no IAP's and all levels. I 'might' pay another £2.99 to unlock the rest of the game but i wont bother buying any Yoda 'hints' etc.

So its decent but i think they're taking the biscuit really with IAP's etc and unlocks. Lego Star Wars and say Nubs Adventure were free to play the first few levels then you paid to unlock the rest - great idea. But this is bad really paying to get the first part then having to pay more to unlock the rest of the game after the first few chapters. Could have been really good, gameplay so far is good, just the pricing strategy (when so many kids will want this) is poor

I am glad i bought this and i probably will get the rest of the levels, its a nice puzzle game which i'm sure will get quite hard later on. So far its been quite easy. Something a bit different, a good Star Wars 'Hitman Go' style game, just a shame about the IAP's

7. curtisrshideler

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Thanks for the well-detailed impression!

So, it's basically $3.99 (or £2.99) for only 3 levels?! And then it cost more to unlock the rest? They should have done what Rebels Recon did and price the app at FREE with IAP unlock. As it is, I don't think I'll be buying into it because it just might not click for me. I'm usually all about premium, but this sounds more like a rip-off as it is. However, if Square-Enix Montreal made it, I would feel a little more confident of the quality. Anyway, thanks again for your impressions.

8. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Sorry by 3 levels i mean its '3 sections' and each section has about 9 levels to it. So you'll get about 27 levels first of all. I mean you never know you 'might' be able to play the later levels if you reach a certain number of stars perhaps ?

It 'might' have just been an early unlock price for later levels. Once i get to that point i'll let you know. At the moment it says BUY for later levels but i'll get to that point to see if it'll unlock it

9. curtisrshideler

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Oh, okay. 27 levels makes a little more sense. Yeah, I hope those unlockable levels are actually there and can be accessed without IAP if you get far enough. An early access IAP sounds more digestible.

10. Rawk GWJ

Rawk GWJ Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2014
    I usually love stylized art. But the art style of this game is the equivalent of nails on a chalkboard for my eyes. I will pass on this one.

11. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I'm 4 away from completing the main level i'm on (then seeing if i have to buy the next one or not). So far its been pretty easy but now i'm a bit stuck, arrgh. I'll try again later as i'm dying to find out what happens with the next section

12. redribbon

redribbon Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
  13. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    The app description specifically says:
    • Four heroes and six chapters with download, two more heroes and four more chapters plus new environments with in-app purchase!

14. Revolvix

Revolvix Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2014
    I'm sorry, this may just be me but I haven't been this annoyed about an iap ridden game since the dungeon keeper fiasco. I'll drop money on any game if it looks good but I can't stand the fact it's paid then 8 dollars for more levels, yoda hints???? Wtf Is this?

15. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    #36 Misguided, Jun 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
    I have no problem with IAP for additional content if the initial content is sufficient (e.g, Kieffer Bros games)

Some more objective opinions on this one would be nice.

16. ChubbyPig

ChubbyPig Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2013
    Student, Waiter
    Portsmouth, UK
    The art style for this game is really ugly, it's like an early flash video. To think that Disney would release a game with sloppy graphics like this but they pulled a game with beautiful graphics, tinydeathstar.

17. McDeathUK

McDeathUK Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Feb 18, 2015
    Avoid

- 2.99 for the game
    - 2.99 to unlocked some of the levels (can't earn all through play)
    - Unable to get three stars on a lot of levels without hero points, and you get a handful. can unlock infinite hero points for 7.99 or pay for packages. Low earning rate.

and that's just for this episode...

Shocking use of the IP and game is not that interesting either

18. McDeathUK

McDeathUK Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Feb 18, 2015
    Oh, and the best bit, this game is not eligible for any refunds, which I have never seen before

19. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    #40 mr_bez, Jun 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
    This is definitely an inferior version of Hitman Go. It's not a terrible game, but it's workmanlike. if you like the look of the gameplay then Hitman Go is more original, more polished and has more, better-designed levels.

It adds a few twists (hackable droids, sliding platforms, unique character powers) but doesn't really differentiate itself enough.

The different enemies are less easy to distinguish compare to Hitman. Some stormtroopers will follow you round corners if they see you and others won't, but there's no way I can see to tell which is which.

The camera isn't up to scratch either. Even on a simple isometric view, it doesn't always track you properly. For example, there are elevators which let you move to other locations (only on the same floor, for some reason) but often the other elevator will be hidden off screen when you land on one.

Also, the cut scenes are OK in a My First Star Wars kind of way, but does anyone really need to see the story of A New Hope again?

If you've played all of Hitman Go, you're desperate for more and can't wait for Tomb Raider Go to arrive, this might fill a hole.

PS I can confirm that the initial price gets you 55 levels across 6 chapters. Himts are unnecessary. You also have a limited number of Hero Powers (you can buy more) which are required to earn some stars. They seem to regenerate somehow though (perhaps on a timer?) so I've always had enough and the thresholds for unlocking new chapters are low enough that you don't need them.