Universal Star Wars - Heroes Path (by Disney)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Eli, Jun 17, 2015.

1. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Wow. Way too many systems and IAPs and whatnot. Thanks everyone for the impressions. Wish the game was handled differently.

2. gabed-em

gabed-em Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2015
    Yeah, so much potential with the IP and we get this. It doesn't look bad, just poorly managed.

Actually, Disney haven't really managed the Star Wars games well at all. Makes me nervous for the new RPG coming later this year.

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Still think its early days

Under Lucasarts most of the star wars games on iOS were dreadful. The best is the Lego Star Wars conversion, under Disney this ones 'average' but Star Wars Rebels was a great run n gun game.

Some of the apps are obviously aimed at kids (The apps about the individual films) and the Star Wars Topps card collection thing was a bit odd.

This ones 'okayish', better than that tower defense recently. Whats frustrating is often most star wars games seem to be aimed at kids whereas Star Wars has a huge huge following of all ages.

4. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Why.Do.You.Keep.Forgetting.KOTOR? :p

5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Hahhaha yeah sorry done that again ! Plus we 'might' get the sequel at some point so i have to remember this one !

But yeah considering its Star Wars you would expect much much more, let DotEmu port over the old DOS title, bring out a new FPS game or something for mobile, it could be great

6. curtisrshideler

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Seriously. A proper Battlefront mobile would be nice, a KOTOR-like game where you play through the actual films would be really nice. The Jedi Knight ports and Dark Forces port would be better than this new stuff. It's just too bad that we don't have Square-Enix of Montreal or Media.Vision or countless other development teams making games for the franchise. And maybe it's Disney holding back. But, yes, as far as the new ones go, I've only been happy with Gigataur's Rebels game. Thank goodness Disney hired them and let them make a similar game to their previous one. Oh, and I still play Tiny Death Star on occasion. That was a decent little title, for what it was.

7. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Just completed the last of the main levels. Pleasantly surprised by the last set which changed things up a bit and let you play as
    an X-wing

I was even more pleasantly surprised when I checked the store and all IAPs were showing as "USD 0.00". I now have 24 extra levels, infinite hints and infinite hero powers for no extra cost. Not sure if that's temporary or if it suggests a permanent switch to premium, but I wasn't even prompted for an App Store password.

8. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    How did you do #4 of the jundland waste ? I get the gun but it never seems to let me shoot the sand person

9. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    You can shoot across the gap. If you're out of sync with him, you might just need to wait a turn so you line up.

10. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Weird. Sure I tried that. I'll try again. Thanks

11. DrugiKat

DrugiKat Active Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 18, 2014
    Game designer and developer
    Croatia
    Very bad copy of Hitman Go

And for initial price you get only few levels. If you want more you must spend money throught IAP. And graphic is nothing special. I was hoping Hitman GO expirience but it is far from that and is to easy. :-(

12. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Did you check the store then? When I went to the store there was no price on any IAPs so I got the extra 24 levels for nothing.

13. DrugiKat

DrugiKat Active Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 18, 2014
    Game designer and developer
    Croatia
    From 10 chapters you must buy 4 throught IAP.

14. whetzell

whetzell Member

Jun 21, 2015
    Bad version of the Hitman iOS game.

15. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    Does anybody know if the IAPs are still free? I was going to pick this one up.

16. MonkeyChunks

MonkeyChunks Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Personally I really dislike where Disney is taking Star Wars. Too much of this random cartoon-like side content like the phone games, crappy TV shows like "rebels". It all makes Star Wars more silly than it already is.

17. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Think rebels and the one wars are really good. You can tell they're trynng to create a new generation of Star Wars fans.

Older fans might not love the shows but you can't please everyone.

18. curtisrshideler

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    #58 curtisrshideler, Jun 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
    I love Rebels, maybe even more than The Clone Wars, and I'm in my mid-30's. But, yeah, I bet it's a good way to market the franchise to a younger crowd. And at least the grown ups are getting a new Battlefront. I can't play that, so I'll be interested in all the mobile titles. And if the IAP are still free, I just might give this one a shot.

EDIT: made the plunge and bought it. Wide awake at 4:30am so why not? Anyway, level packs ALL have a price on them, so don't know how someone else got them for free. But they definitely cost something. Unlocking everything would get a bit pricey for this kid's puzzle game IMO.

19. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I think the IAP price thing (where the guy said it was free) must have been a weird one-off. Always comes up with a price for me.

Again they have to please everyone, so there will be 'kiddie' games as well as i hope older games.

To me this is an in between one, its not 'too bad' but the IAP's i think are really bad (specially for the younger market). Problem is compared to pit droids and some of the other earlier Star Wars games this is much better than most of the early stuff which was appalling.

Still stunned that there arent more Star Wars games available on iOS though, the best one are two ports (Lego/KOTOR). SW Rebels isnt bad at all but you must admit for the Star Wars franchise its pretty poor iOS-wise

20. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    Yea, I was originally bummed when I first heard Disney was taking over the SW franchise, but it hasn't been as bad as I thought it would be. Before Disney, it seemed like we rarely saw any new SW stuff released. Wether on iOS or consoles, or even TV. At least Disney is keeping the franchise alive I guess. I take the good with the bad.