Starbase Orion - Competitive 4X Turn-Based Space Strategy

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by KittyMac, Jul 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    The kind of friends who have been overwhelmed by all the freebies in the App Store, and now refuse to shell out on apps? I know the kind, them cheap bastards ;) A good thing they can still recognize quality when they have it gifted up their behinds ;)

2. KittyMac

KittyMac Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2010
    "I think any creative person who has followed Star Trek at all has been inspired by its ever-evolving aesthetic over the years. For the Humans, I quite intentionally decided to tap into my own inner-trekkie and render some of my own variations on that style. I think any science fiction artist could appreciate the chance to do that, and I’m glad I got to. The concept goal for this fleet was familiarity. The Humans are meant to feel instantly recognizable."
    - Jason

from_concept_to_creation_human.jpg

http://www.chimerasw.com/starbaseorion/?page_id=190

3. zombieaddict

zombieaddict Active Member

Aug 6, 2011
    New Zealand
  4. Rip the Jacker!

Rip the Jacker! New Member

Aug 8, 2011
    ... but does it have Turn-based Tactical Combat?

MOO 2 Supercession Checklist

Turn based game? Yes
    Can you design races? Yes
    Can you design ships? Yes
    Multiple planets in a star system? Unknown
    No starlanes? Unknown
    Planet and Ship leaders? Unknown
    Unique Tech Tree, wherein techs are unique, and not just +1, +2 etc: Unknown
    Turn-based Tactical Combat, just like Master of Orion 2? Unknown

{GENERATE BURNING QUESTION}

Does Starbase Orion have Turn-based Tactical Combat, wherein a player can control each and every ship in his or her armada, just like in Master of Orion 2?

I am a MOO2 purist, simply because MOO2 is my favourite game, bar none. I even bought the Mac version, just because it sounds different than on the PC.

I have played every turn-based 4X game created, with the exception of the extremely rare Remember Tomorrow (as it is only in Russian), and never since the release of MOO2 in 1996 have I found a game to be its successor.

Typically, a developer just can't be bothered to exert a thorough effort when creating a game. For example, Free Orion has starlanes because its too hard (apparently) to create a system wherein each star can be reached from each other star. Having worked in the software industry for a brief period, I can categorically state that cutting corners is Job One (as Ford used to say).

A more galling example (at least in my mind) is that Galactic Civilizations 1 and 2 have no combat engine to speak of, period. In defence of this omission, Brad Wardell of Stardock (their creator) went so far as to say that human players have an unfair advantage in Turn-Based combat over AIs, in that we can use strategy (Zounds!) whereas AIs cannot.

Worse is that since GalCiv 1 and 2 have done rather well, a number of other developers are following suit, thus condemning their creations to mundanity and non-description.

I'd much rather wait for a game that I know will be good, like Diablo 3, than hold out a futile hope for a game that "might" do one better than Master of Orion 2. Please, Chimera, PLEASE make sure that you include turn-based tactical combat.

With baited breath,
    Rip the Jacker!

5. KittyMac

Sep 14, 2010
    Yes.

Starbase Orion supports free roaming, just as MoO2 did. Random wormholes exist that connect distant star systems, again similar to MoO2.

I can't speak for those other games and what their issues were, but I can confirm our AI kicks ass.

Planet and ship leaders will not be in the initial release of SO.

We are not ready to release specific techs yet, but I can confirm that there is a mixture of unique techs and refinements on those techs. For example, one might research a new unique weapon like gauss turrets, and then opt to research the next refinement on that (gauss turrets II).

Yes, there is a turn-based tactical combat system in SO.

No, it is not exactly how MoO2 did it.

The ship combat in SO is probably the biggest break from the MoO2-like gameplay we made. I don't want to go into too much detail as the topic deserves its own full article on our site. However I can point you to SO's vision statement. Every gameplay decision for SO was made with multiplayer matches in mind. The game-within-a-game tactical combat in MoO2 is awesome for single player plans, but it does not scale vey well for more than 2 people. The combat in SO is designed to provide strategic decision making while not requiring the other players to wait for all combat to be resolved before galactic play can continue.

6. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    What's the ballpark release timeframe for this one?

7. KittyMac

Sep 14, 2010
    The goal is to release SO with iOS 5; "Fall 2011" is still the official release window.

8. KittyMac

Sep 14, 2010
    "The Vass are probably the most varied from ship to ship. I see them as perhaps a more enlightened species compared to the others, and their resulting design aesthetic is more experimental and artistic. I have to admit that the Protoss had some influence here too. The only real constant is their crystals, which they inhabit in some ethereal way in contrast to the traditional means of having cockpits and corridors. From there I saw the rest of the ship as being made up of just the inner workings for the ship, and so there's no obvious, 'that's where the mess hall would be, and there's the bridge.' "
    - Jason

from_concept_to_creation_vass.jpg

http://www.chimerasw.com/starbaseorion/?page_id= 214

9. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Exciting news!

Back in "Strategy Mode" again - just finished off another game of Distant Star during lunch! ;)

10. KittyMac

Sep 14, 2010
    #30 KittyMac, Oct 9, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
    Official Release Date Announced

Starbase Orion has passed review by Apple, and will be available in the AppStore alongside iOS 5 this Wednesday, October 12, 2011.

It has been a long road for Starbase Orion, and I am extremely excited for everyone to get a chance conquer our galaxy later this week!

11. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #31 Ayjona, Oct 9, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
    Already? I figured there were weeks and months to go. Wonderful!

I find it strange that Starbase Orion has not generated more hype, considering the unique nature of the game. TA people, if you happen to swing by this thread, cobble together a piece on Starbase Orion and its impending release. For many of those of us into asynchronous online play, this is the biggest thing to come along since Carcassonne, possibly for ever.

12. missalexis

missalexis Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2008
    I have to say I am super super excited. MOO2 is one of my favorite games ever.

13. juan13

juan13 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2010
    What a great surprise! Another instant buy in this amazing week!

14. juan13

juan13 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2010
    MAy I ask about the size of the game?

15. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Congratulations on the release! It looks stellar

16. KittyMac

Sep 14, 2010
    I'm not at the computer to check exactly, but it is around 65 MB.

17. juan13

juan13 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Thanks, can't wait for the release :)

18. KittyMac

Sep 14, 2010
    Thankfully the guys over at Space Sector have been very good about featuring SO news. They are also in the process of writing a comprehensive review of the game

Still, I would certainly enjoy some love from the TA staff :D

19. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Very excited! :D

20. Maniacfive

Maniacfive Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Phone Sales
    Kent, UK
    instabuy! wednesday is gonna rock. So glad I installed the GM already so instead of updating I can spend my time playing these awesome games.